Upgrade

Hello, I am new here. I have searched the NET extensively regarding upgrades.

Yet I turn to you. 

I have a Intel i7-7700K / Z270 mark 2 / 32Gb DDR4 RAM 2133 Mhz / 2Tb HDD / 480 SSD rig.

I recently upgraded to RTX 3080 from GTX 1080 and from 700 W to 1000 W Corsair PSU.

I was looking to upgrading my motherboard.

Question no 1 - if I change from Intel to AMD morherboard, could I keep the same RAM and SSD, or should I change everything?

Question no 2 - what would be the best configuration for full RTX pottential?

39 minutes ago, Rachkis said:

if I change from Intel to AMD morherboard, could I keep the same RAM and SSD

RAM is to slow for any recent CPU.

You can keep the same SSD but a clean install of Windows is recommanded.

40 minutes ago, Rachkis said:

what would be the best configuration for full RTX pottential?

Intel i5-12600K, Z690, 32GB 3600C16/4000C18/4400C19.

I agree with SID, you should try aiming for 3200mhz at a minimum 3600+ would be ideal especially for AMD since faster RAM works far better with AMDs systems on the newer Ryzen platform if my memory serves.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

If your budget is tight, you can keep the RAM for now with the goal of upgrading later. You will get lower performance, likely noticeable, but the computer will work and it will still be a pretty huge upgrade from what you have now. You can also try to overclock the RAM. It might be able to do 2400, which isn't amazing but is a 12.5% boost.

If you want to go AMD instead of Intel, the current best CPU for gaming would either be a 5800X or 5900X. The 5600X is fine, but might struggle to keep up with the 3080 in a few games. The 5950X is total overkill and the difference would be better spent on the RAM upgrade.

However, AMD is supposed to be announcing new CPUs soon, so you may want to wait. Even if you go with 5000 series in the end, you may be able to get it at a reduced price once the new ones are on the market.