Windows 7 or 8.1?

rambi36
Go to solution Solved by mgsstar,

When I put the product key in during the installation it says that it is invalid and won't even let me continue past that no matter what i do :/. I was gonna get an ssd tomorrow because even when i had win 8.1 it was still pretty slow for me when it comes to opening programs and stuff. Support isn't really much of a deal breaker to me as much as it is to other people. By the time 7 support ends, hopefully microsoft will get their shit together and actually make a better version of windows. But as of now, I'm leaning towards 7. I also realized that with my keyboard (Razer Deathstalker), it has more input lag than on 7.

The metro design is awful imo, but I can live without a start menu (Maybe not for much longer though)

Edit the ei.cfg in the installation disk:http://superuser.com/questions/498436/install-windows-8-without-a-product-key

Hello guys! Due to an error with an ubuntu install and the fact that my product key no longer works on windows 8 when I try to reinstall it (look at signature for more info), I need to repurchase windows. Which one should I get? I am familiar with both Win 7 and 8.1 and i prefer the look of windows 7, but if u guys think Win 8.1 is going to be so much better, I will go that route. 

Life.exe is missing

I like 8.1 over 7. I would say what ever is cheaper to save you money

since you are more familiar with 7 thats what i would recommend you do but if you want a new feel sort of go with 8.1

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Go 8.1, it's the new stuff whether we like it or not.

I prefer 8.1 compared. I like the new start menu.

its a start screen not menu

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

There's a lot of things to consider. Do you play older games? If so than you are very unlikely to get them working on Windows 8.1, Windows 7 as it is has barely any compatibility with older games. Also apparently you get a few frames increase over Windows 7 in games. Also if you like the Metro UI than Windows 8.1 is a good one, there is also a mod you can download called startisback that makes it function like Windows 7 so really whatever you think pertains to your situation.

Go with windows 8.1. 3 reasons why.

1. It is the future of windows. You get things windows 7 doesn't have such as the windows store and a Microsoft account which comes in handy.

2. Soon there will be a start menu integrated with windows 8.1 but if you prefer a start menu over the start screen (though there were some updates that just recently happened that make windows 8.1 much better for mouse and keyboard) you can always download one and use windows 8.1 just like windows 7.

3. Some performance boosts such as in games or boot up times and better power management with the newer processors.

I think you are able to reactivate it. I commented on your thread about it. I would recommend 8.1 over 7 because it has fast boot times even on hard drives and its newer which will be probably be supported longer than 7. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

since you are more familiar with 7 thats what i would recommend you do but if you want a new feel sort of go with 8.1

I actually am pretty familiar with both Operating systems because I use various machines that have both win 7 and win 8.1 (My main one had windows 8.1 before it got fucked up). I know that there is a start button coming to windows 8.1 soon, but i much prefer aero over the metro look.

There's a lot of things to consider. Do you play older games? If so than you are very unlikely to get them working on Windows 8.1, Windows 7 as it is has barely any compatibility with older games. Also apparently you get a few frames increase over Windows 7 in games. Also if you like the Metro UI than Windows 8.1 is a good one, there is also a mod you can download called startisback that makes it function like Windows 7 so really whatever you think pertains to your situation.

I don't really play any really old games (I just started PC gaming about a year ago) so software compatibility isn't an issue for me

Can you elaborate on why I should pick that? I know it's newer and stuff, but I HATE THE LOOK OF WIN 8. i know u can get third party software to make it more like 7 but I still don't like it. Maybe I just want to be stuck in the past? Who knows :/

Life.exe is missing

I actually am pretty familiar with both Operating systems because I use various machines that have both win 7 and win 8.1 (My main one had windows 8.1 before it got fucked up). I know that there is a start button coming to windows 8.1 soon, but i much prefer aero over the metro look.

I don't really play any really old games (I just started PC gaming about a year ago) so software compatibility isn't an issue for me

Can you elaborate on why I should pick that? I know it's newer and stuff, but I HATE THE LOOK OF WIN 8. i know u can get third party software to make it more like 7 but I still don't like it. Maybe I just want to be stuck in the past? Who knows :/

well if you still have the 8.1 key you can still use it, i think

8.1, lots of cool stuff coming with it what thecman said

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

@CreepersCrawlers

What part of W8.1 do you hate? Metro?  Lack of start menu?  Those are really the only 2 different things in design.

I thought I would hate it, but I have gotten used to it.  And I like it a lot better now!

-

Get 8.1 and install classic shell 

I think you are able to reactivate it. I commented on your thread about it. I would recommend 8.1 over 7 because it has fast boot times even on hard drives and its newer which will be probably be supported longer than 7. 

When I put the product key in during the installation it says that it is invalid and won't even let me continue past that no matter what i do :/. I was gonna get an ssd tomorrow because even when i had win 8.1 it was still pretty slow for me when it comes to opening programs and stuff. Support isn't really much of a deal breaker to me as much as it is to other people. By the time 7 support ends, hopefully microsoft will get their shit together and actually make a better version of windows. But as of now, I'm leaning towards 7. I also realized that with my keyboard (Razer Deathstalker), it has more input lag than on 7.

@CreepersCrawlers

What part of W8.1 do you hate? Metro?  Lack of start menu?  Those are really the only 2 different things in design.

I thought I would hate it, but I have gotten used to it.  And I like it a lot better now!

The metro design is awful imo, but I can live without a start menu (Maybe not for much longer though)

Life.exe is missing

Edit the ei.cfg in the installation disk:http://superuser.com/questions/498436/install-windows-8-without-a-product-key

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You can ring Microsoft up and they will help you to re-activate your key, there is no point wasting money on an older OS when you already have a key for the latest one. 

Just spend a bit of time configuring 8.1 and it will be fine. Install Classic start, and set Metro apps to open in deskop. Also enable boot to desktop. Then you will be pretty much the same as Win 7 in look and feel.

You do not need to rebuy windows.  You can look up a generic key online for the installation process, then after it is installed, input YOUR key.  If it says it is being used, you can call them and activate it over the phone.

Thanks G! Windows is now installing and il report back when it is done! :D

Be sure to mark this thread solved beside the best answer so people will know the solution (maybe you could merge my two points together and mark your own post as solved in your other thread) :).