Buying PC help

BigMuscleMan
Go to solution Solved by Species125,

So PC Part Picker is the idea way to explore what's available. It will also match you up with suitable motherboards and CPUs so you don't accidentally get one that's incompatible. I've linked the UK version, but if you just search it, you'll need to click the UK flag in the top right-hand corner. 

The main issue with your budget is that it doesn't allow room for a GPU. 

I'd start with getting a bunch of stuff and adding it to a list. You might consider the AMD Ryzen 5600X, for example. That'll lead you to a suitable motherboard. I generally prefer MSI items, so I'd take a look the MSI Mortar board. Power supply, I have used Corsair and EVGA power supplies, so I'd be looking at a 650W version of those. Fully modular. Get 16GB of RAM (3200MHz is fine, but I'd be tempted by 3600). 

Then case. I actually like working with Corsair cases, and the 275 Airflow is pretty solid and cheap. You don't need a massive cooler. If you can afford Noctua, go for it. But if you can't the Coolermaster 212 is a pretty good bet. 

Now, for the elephant in the room: GPUs are ridiculous. It's been mentioned on LTT repeatedly. A 1660 Ti should never cost £400. And a 1050 Ti shouldn't be anywhere near £200. But they are. 

So the dilemma is whether you grab a cheap GPU now and save up a bit more for a better one or go for a pricier one that's going to lower the available budget for your other components. 

I've gone with the former option here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JZgMPV

Budget (including currency): £850

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Cod warzone, Battlefield 2042, rainbow 6 and Forza 5 

Other details so I am upgrading from a FX-8370 8 core 8GB of ram and a ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series I was planning to upgrade after xmas and I have no Idea what I am doing so can someone help me please Thanks  

So PC Part Picker is the idea way to explore what's available. It will also match you up with suitable motherboards and CPUs so you don't accidentally get one that's incompatible. I've linked the UK version, but if you just search it, you'll need to click the UK flag in the top right-hand corner. 

I'd start with getting a bunch of stuff and adding it to a list. You might consider the AMD Ryzen 5600X, for example. That'll lead you to a suitable motherboard. I generally prefer MSI items, so I'd take a look the MSI Mortar board. Power supply, I have used Corsair and EVGA power supplies, so I'd be looking at a 650W version of those. Fully modular. Get 16GB of RAM (3200MHz is fine, but I'd be tempted by 3600). 

Then case. I actually like working with Corsair cases, and the 275 Airflow is pretty solid and cheap. You don't need a massive cooler. If you can afford Noctua, go for it. But if you can't the Coolermaster 212 is a pretty good bet. 

Now, for the elephant in the room: GPUs are ridiculous. It's been mentioned on LTT repeatedly. A 1660 Ti should never cost £400. And a 1050 Ti shouldn't be anywhere near £200. But they are. 

So the dilemma is whether you grab a cheap GPU now and save up a bit more for a better one or go for a pricier one that's going to lower the available budget for your other components. 

22 hours ago, Species125 said:

Thank you