Guys, it's been a long time. I need help.

Budget (including currency): $1200-$1800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (Call of Duty, Valorant, Fornite, Battlefield) and Video Editing (Premiere, After Effects, Lightroom)

MonitorsCurrently 1 plan for expanding to 2, Resolution 2560x1440 @ 144Hz

Peripherals: This is a new build; needs all new peripherals - Windows only

Why are you upgrading? This is my son's first PC build but I've built 40+ PCs in my lifetime (most work machines while working in IT)

Guys, I've been building PCs since I was 13 (now 44). However, I moved to Mac for work about 6 years ago and with my growing family I don't have time for gaming anymore. Since I built my last gaming rig in 2015, I'm out of touch and I need your help to make this a good first build for my son (15). I'm not usually one to splurge on the newest tech and am fine with 1-2 generations old as long as it'll last. He'll be doing some gaming but is also very interested in video editing. I want him to be able to grow into this for the next 3-4 years.

I pulled together this parts list but admittedly feel like I'm guessing b/c I'm just not up to date on the chips, RAM and GPUs. I'd appreciate any advice on how to hone this to meet his needs and make his first build go off without a hitch. The only thing we already have is the monitor which was a Christmas gift last year. Thank you for your help!

EDIT: looking for recommendations on GPU, which is why it's not on the parts list

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/theK2/saved/#view=YmHvjX

6 hours ago, theK2 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (Call of Duty, Valorant, Fornite, Battlefield) and Video Editing (Premiere, After Effects, Lightroom)

Why are you upgrading? This is my son's first PC build but I've built 40+ PCs in my lifetime.

Guys, I've been building PCs since I was 13 (now 44). However, I moved to Mac for work about 6 years ago and with my growing family I don't have time for gaming anymore. Since I built my last gaming rig in 2015, I'm out of touch and I need your help to make this a good first build for my son (15). I'm not usually one to splurge on the newest tech and am fine with 1-2 generations old as long as it'll last. He'll be doing some gaming but is also very interested in video editing. I want him to be able to grow into this for the next 3-4 years.

I pulled together this parts list but admittedly feel like I'm guessing b/c I'm just not up to date on the chips, RAM and GPUs. I'd appreciate any advice on how to hone this to meet his needs and make his first build go off without a hitch. The only thing we already have is the monitor which was a Christmas gift last year. Thank you for your help!

have you already the gpu card?.

i dont see there

all looks good, except motherboard(to overprice) and hdd(to slow). should 7200rpm of hdd, 5400rpm to slow for general user

here it is, similar of motherboard. new version with low price

Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI) - PCPartPicker

hmm, looks pretty well built in general. Couple of sticking points that aren't really that big a deal, but might as well mention them:

- mobo is pricey

- you can get a better NVME SSD for less

- AIO already has fans and two case fans in case, no need for more

- Go for a bigger PSU if you plan to put a nice GPU in it in the future

Here is and updated build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($340.35 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Lumen S28 RGB 78 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Walmart) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Mushkin Pilot-E 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($110.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($304.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($166.43 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1812.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-14 00:15 EST-0500

Gpu wise anything above a 3060ti would be a good match for this.

This build includes a GPU. Which is why it is so over budget. Sadly it's not up to high settings on a 1440 144Hz monitor. But anything that is would use more than half the budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Adorama) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($194.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($879.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($166.43 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2475.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-14 00:32 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 hours ago, ahmad13610 said:

have you already the gpu card?

@ahmad13610 thanks for pointing that out - I meant to mention that in my original post. Any recommendations on a GPU would be appreciated, especially with how pricey some of them can be right now (e.g. 3060ti).

7 hours ago, ahmad13610 said:

all looks good, except motherboard(to overprice) and hdd(to slow). should 7200rpm of hdd, 5400rpm to slow for general user

here it is, similar of motherboard. new version with low price

Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI) - PCPartPicker

Great feedback - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the recommendations!

7 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

- mobo is pricey

- you can get a better NVME SSD for less

- AIO already has fans and two case fans in case, no need for more

- Go for a bigger PSU if you plan to put a nice GPU in it in the future

- Gpu wise anything above a 3060ti would be a good match for this.

@Jonathan Lee great feedback and recommendations. Thank you for your help! Do you have any recommendations on how to score a 3060ti+ GPU for a "reasonable" price. Everything I'm seeing right now is $1000+. Perhaps look for a used card here on LTT or Ebay?

7 hours ago, brob said:

This build includes a GPU. Which is why it is so over budget. Sadly it's not up to high settings on a 1440 144Hz monitor. But anything that is would use more than half the budget.

@brob thanks for taking some time to review the build for my son and give some feedback. Yeah, that's a concern I have... had no idea that GPUs had gotten so expensive. 

2 minutes ago, theK2 said:

Yeah, that's a concern I have... had no idea that GPUs had gotten so expensive. 

That's the way things are right now and have been for almost two years. To get any GPU you probably have to pay way more than usual or you have to be very lucky. There's no telling when this situation will be over - probably not for another year or two. Even used cards are not easy to get for a reasonable price.

15 hours ago, theK2 said:

Why are you upgrading? This is my son's first PC build but I've built 40+ PCs in my lifetime.

EDIT: looking for recommendations on GPU, which is why it's not on the parts list

https://pcpartpic

15 hours ago, theK2 said:

ker.com/user/theK2/saved/#view=YmHvjX

for CPU: Alder Lake is currently the best and you kind of need to remember that

for RAM: CL*2000/speed=TL (true latency), that's how you calculate RAM vs CAS latency

for Storage: NVME is the fastest (duh), and sabrent rocket 4 plus is the fastest one I'm aware of (ignoring prototype PCIE 5.0 drives that hit twice the speeds)

as for the GPU, it's just the best one you can afford, and the PSU is fully modular and has sufficient wattage, and is 80+ gold, mostly because why not

if you use those rules to chose the parts, here's what you end up with

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Adorama) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.95 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($78.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($159.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($750.00) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1795.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-14 08:30 EST-0500

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

36 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

Alder Lake is currently the best and you kind of need to remember that

@Alder Lake thank you for looking over the build. I appreciate your feedback. Can you expand on this a little more so that I can learn more about the different chips? What makes Alder Lake currently the best?

4 minutes ago, theK2 said:

@Alder Lake thank you for looking over the build. I appreciate your feedback. Can you expand on this a little more so that I can learn more about the different chips? What makes Alder Lake currently the best?

well, that's just something I had to sort of "brute force," but after launches (or even before them), chips are benchmarked and you can look at the comparisons

here's an example

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/12th-Gen-Intel-Core-CPU-Review-Roundup-2248/

42 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

well, that's just something I had to sort of "brute force

Comedy that requires tone can be difficult for old guys like myself to pick up on over the internet. 🙂 Thanks for the link btw - that will be very helpful!

16 minutes ago, theK2 said:

Comedy that requires tone can be difficult for old guys like myself to pick up on over the internet. 🙂 Thanks for the link btw - that will be very helpful!

it's just a term that means "there's no trick for it"

essentially you kind of just need to know what the best CPU is by looking at reviews, core count/clock speeds aren't good enough

yea. 

39 minutes ago, theK2 said:

don't forget use windows 11 to get alder lake's max performance

yea, concern about gpu price. best wise of budget is all in (include gpu+monitor+periperals). rtx 3060 or rx 6600xt is very enough for 1080p gaming until couple years next

good luck sir

3 hours ago, theK2 said:

great feedback and recommendations. Thank you for your help! Do you have any recommendations on how to score a 3060ti+ GPU for a "reasonable" price. Everything I'm seeing right now is $1000+. Perhaps look for a used card here on LTT or Ebay?

Yea that's tough, due to supply shortages and mining, prices are pretty crazy. You would just have to keep an eye on a GPU on ebay or consistently check different retailers for good prices.

There you go mate....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($299.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Neo Forza FAYE 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4400 CL19 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Storage: Silicon Power P34A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.90 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer VG270U Pbmiipx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING OC PRO 8G Graphics Card WINDFORCE + GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2 Combo ($662.98)
Total: $1997.69

That gpu come as a part of a bundle on newegg. That B450 mobo isnt compatible with this intel system. So You can flip that mobo and recover some cash.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W