First PC Build

JeremyBradshaw
Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

The 3700X is a good CPU but a bad value at $329. The 5800X was going for around the same price, but it looks like it crept back up to $400 again. However, the 5600X is cheaper and would have about the same horsepower due to gen on gen improvements, with better single core performance to boot. You might also consider the 12600K. It's an excellent value at $299, and will beat the pants off the 3700X, assuming you can find a reasonably priced LGA1700 board with DDR4.

If you do keep the 3700X, you should get faster RAM, at least 3600MHz CL16. It's a multiple CCD design, so while 3200MHz isn't horrible, you are leaving perf on the table by slowing down the FCLK.

The H510 case needs to go. It's thermally awful. With the components you have currently, it would be okay, since both the CPU and GPU are relatively low powered, but if you ever upgrade to anything better, you're going to regret that case quick.

Budget (including currency): 1500USD not including peripherals

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fishing Planet is really the only PC game I’d play, It would be mostly used as an intermediate between my Xbox for streaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vZzwMv

What do I need to change 

The 3700X is a good CPU but a bad value at $329. The 5800X was going for around the same price, but it looks like it crept back up to $400 again. However, the 5600X is cheaper and would have about the same horsepower due to gen on gen improvements, with better single core performance to boot. You might also consider the 12600K. It's an excellent value at $299, and will beat the pants off the 3700X, assuming you can find a reasonably priced LGA1700 board with DDR4.

If you do keep the 3700X, you should get faster RAM, at least 3600MHz CL16. It's a multiple CCD design, so while 3200MHz isn't horrible, you are leaving perf on the table by slowing down the FCLK.

The H510 case needs to go. It's thermally awful. With the components you have currently, it would be okay, since both the CPU and GPU are relatively low powered, but if you ever upgrade to anything better, you're going to regret that case quick.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

yo buds can i use sd card for my first pc build  im planning with this cheap hardware specs: intel core 2 duo e8400 (i forgot my thermal paste) 2gb ddr2 ram 600mhz  (dont have graphics card?) intel g31 potato graphics inside acer eg31m v1.0 motherboard (no case? hehe cheap )  (ssd :X)   (hdd:X) (use sd card from ur old nokia:✓✓✓) but my mama buy me a very cheap psu (mama says: you use it or i throw my slippers on you ) guys can you answer me it will blow or run minesweeper (i will install windows xp lite on it looks fun btw did you know im 12yrs old)

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bCYQzy/corsair-4000d-airflow-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011200-ww Will this case do any better?

45 minutes ago, JeremyBradshaw said:

Yes. The 4000D is excellent.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse