Pc upgrade help

AT198864

Hey guys!

first time posting here, so sorry if I get some stuff wrong.

anyway, I currently have a pc, and I’m looking to see what I should upgrade first.

I would like to mainly improve my ram, case fans and cpu cooler, as even though I do have a good cpu cooler, I feel like that when I upgrade my ram, it won’t fit. I would also like to hold off upgrading my gpu for as long as I can, as with the prices as what they are, It’ll take ages to get one anyway.

the specs are:

ryzen 5 5600x

samsung 980 pro 500gb

gtx 1030

Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2x8gb ddr4 3200 

dark rock pro 4

asus rog strix b550-a gaming

corsair 4000d airflow (3 fans, in 3 fans out)

Thanks for the advice.

What exactly are you doing with this PC? As long as you upgrade the RAM to low profile sticks you shouldn't need to change out your cooler, and that cooler is plenty good anyways, way overkill for your CPU at the very least. Are your temps bad, do you really need to upgrade your case fans before something that will actually have an impact on performance? Out of those 3 things I would probably go for a RAM upgrade, but if you're just gaming, holding off and saving your money for a GPU upgrade once the market hopefully settles down a bit would probably give you the biggest performance improvement. 16 gigs of RAM is fine for a gaming rig.

rhythm games are best fight me

12 minutes ago, Featherblade said:

What exactly are you doing with this PC? As long as you upgrade the RAM to low profile sticks you shouldn't need to change out your cooler, and that cooler is plenty good anyways, way overkill for your CPU at the very least. Are your temps bad, do you really need to upgrade your case fans before something that will actually have an impact on performance? Out of those 3 things I would probably go for a RAM upgrade, but if you're just gaming, holding off and saving your money for a GPU upgrade once the market hopefully settles down a bit would probably give you the biggest performance improvement. 16 gigs of RAM is fine for a gaming rig.

I’m planning to do heavy gaming (I.e minecraft, max setting, max render distance. I heard that low ram can bottleneck your system, and I wanna see what I should do. I would hopefully be running 2 rtx 2080s or an rtx 3090 or 4090 if I can.

I mainly want the ram I should upgrade to, I.e viper steel, stick with Corsair, ect

Minecraft maxed out isn't really that heavy. If you're planning on running a bunch of mods you might want more RAM, but just maxing it out vanilla shouldn't need more than about 4 gigs of RAM, and Java edition is so poorly optimized anyways that you run into diminishing returns pretty quickly. For other games, my advice of waiting for GPU prices to stabilize still stands, aside from the GPU you already have a pretty good midrange build, and that CPU should be able to drive a pretty powerful GPU once you upgrade that.

If you still want to upgrade your RAM though you could look at Corsair Vengeance sticks, they should be low profile enough to fit under your cooler and I've had good experiences with Corsair RAM. 32 gigs might not help much in games, but it would allow you to have much more stuff open in the background while gaming and could help if you ever decide to start doing stuff like video editing or CAD on this PC.

rhythm games are best fight me

I think you really only need to get a better GPU. Everything else is pretty good for most games today.

Im currently using a Hyper X Fury Ram 16GB (8X2) with 2400MHZ. I know it has a low clock but I don't really like overclocking a gaming PC setup since I dont want to make it a brick. Anyways, I think your 3200 Corsair Vengace Ram would probably be fine unless you are doing something that requires high Ram capacity. If it does, then try overclocking first. Your PC cooler is going to be fine since most people say it can even replace a liquid cooler. If you want to change your case fans, then look for a fan from companies like Corsair that are around $40 each. I don't think you would need to change your case fan or case itself since 3 in and 3 out is way more than enough. I recommend saving it up and getting a high-end GPU next year.

I might be wrong so please let me know if I am.