New Build - can't get 4 sticks of 4800MHZ to post on XMP profile.

Love the channel!

Doing an 11th GEN build and I'm running into an issue that I hope someone can shed some light on.

Build specs are as follows:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini-Tower Case

ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WiFi 6, LGA 1200 (Intel 11th/10th Gen) ATX Gaming Motherboard 

Intel Core i9-11900K 

2 - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4800 Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-4800C20D-32GTZR

SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4  

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

Corsair Hydro Series H100x Extreme Performance Liquid / Water 240mm CPU Cooler (CW-9060040-WW) 

Corsair SF Series, SF750, 750 Watt, SFX, 80+ Platinum Certified

ASUS Radeon RX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card DUAL-RX460-O2G (Can't find a reasonably priced RTX 3060 Ti)

I'm having an issue getting the 4 sticks of RAM to post when I enable the XMP profile. I can get it to post and boot if I only use 2 sticks using the XMP profile. If I set it to Auto it will post and boot with the 4 sticks of RAM, but I'm only getting 2133, I would like to get what I paid for if possible. If I enable the XMP profile using the 4 sticks and set the RAM speed to 3600 It will post and boot. Is there something I'm missing? A setting perhaps?

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide. 

11 minutes ago, DireWolfPup said:

Love the channel!

Doing an 11th GEN build and I'm running into an issue that I hope someone can shed some light on.

Build specs are as follows:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini-Tower Case

ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WiFi 6, LGA 1200 (Intel 11th/10th Gen) ATX Gaming Motherboard 

Intel Core i9-11900K 

2 - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4800 Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-4800C20D-32GTZR

SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4  

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

Corsair Hydro Series H100x Extreme Performance Liquid / Water 240mm CPU Cooler (CW-9060040-WW) 

Corsair SF Series, SF750, 750 Watt, SFX, 80+ Platinum Certified

ASUS Radeon RX 460 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card DUAL-RX460-O2G (Can't find a reasonably priced RTX 3060 Ti)

I'm having an issue getting the 4 sticks of RAM to post when I enable the XMP profile. I can get it to post and boot if I only use 2 sticks using the XMP profile. If I set it to Auto it will post and boot with the 4 sticks of RAM, but I'm only getting 2133, I would like to get what I paid for if possible. If I enable the XMP profile using the 4 sticks and set the RAM speed to 3600 It will post and boot. Is there something I'm missing? A setting perhaps?

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide. 

Did you check the QVL that it specifically was validated for 4 sticks of RAM?

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

I checked the QVL. That RAM model you specified was not on the list. There is a very similar model on there F4-4800C19D-32GTZR. That is 2x 8GB sticks of the same kind of RAM, so I don't see any reason why the 16GB sticks wouldn't work. They just cant be overclocked that high most likely.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-Z590-PLUS-WIFI/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

Most likely 4 sticks at the capacity you are trying to go is too much for it to run at that speed and its overloading the systems memory controller. That is not an uncommon issue when using high amounts of RAM like 32GB+. If you are trying to go over 16GB of RAM, you are going to have a tougher time to be able to overclock it to those kinds of speeds, especially if using more than 2 sticks of RAM. 4 sticks totaling 64GB is a lot of RAM and 4800 is total overkill speed. I don't think that amount can go above 3600 at 4 sticks with current CPU's. Even my top of the line Ryzen 5900x and Dark Hero motherboard would not boot any higher than 3600 with my 4 sticks at 64GB. According to the QVL for your board, 3600 is the fastest you can go at 64GB in size. In order to get 4800, you would have to go down to a total of 16GB using 2x 8GB sticks or 2 sticks in general to get more speed from the RAM. (It's possible 2x 16GB will work as well, I am just going off the QVL documentation)

Try overclocking the ram to something like a more standard 3600 in your BIOS, and see if it will boot when set at that speed. You will have all 64GB but it will be 3600 instead of 4800 speed, which is more than enough and still a great speed for RAM. There isn't really too much you can do about the OC speed without downgrading the RAM capacity to a lower GB amount and or using 2 sticks instead of 4 to stress the CPU less.

It's not a setting, its just a limitation with current consumer hardware is all. Just about every consumer grade CPU is Dual Memory Channel. A server grade board with a quad memory channel CPU like a threadripper might be able to do it with 4 sticks at full 4800 speed 32GB or 64GB.

5 hours ago, DarkDream787 said:

I checked the QVL. That RAM model you specified was not on the list. There is a very similar model on there F4-4800C19D-32GTZR. That is 2x 8GB sticks of the same kind of RAM, so I don't see any reason why the 16GB sticks wouldn't work. They just cant be overclocked that high most likely.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-Z590-PLUS-WIFI/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

Most likely 4 sticks at the capacity you are trying to go is too much for it to run at that speed and its overloading the systems memory controller. That is not an uncommon issue when using high amounts of RAM like 32GB+. If you are trying to go over 16GB of RAM, you are going to have a tougher time to be able to overclock it to those kinds of speeds, especially if using more than 2 sticks of RAM. 4 sticks totaling 64GB is a lot of RAM and 4800 is total overkill speed. I don't think that amount can go above 3600 with current CPU's. Even my top of the line Ryzen 5900x and Dark Hero motherboard would not boot any higher than 3600 with my 4 sticks at 64GB. According to the QVL for your board, 3600 is the fastest you can go at 64GB in size. In order to get 4800, you would have to go down to a total of 16GB using 2x 8GB sticks or 2 sticks in general to get more speed from the RAM. (It's possible 2x 16GB will work as well, I am just going off the QVL documentation)

Try overclocking the ram to something like a more standard 3600 in your BIOS, and see if it will boot when set at that speed. You will have all 64GB but it will be 3600 instead of 4800 speed, which is more than enough and still a great speed for RAM. There isn't really too much you can do about the OC speed without downgrading the RAM capacity to a lower GB amount and or using 2 sticks instead of 4 to stress the CPU less.

It's not a setting, its just a limitation with current consumer hardware is all. Just about every consumer grade CPU is Dual Memory Channel. A server grade board with a quad memory channel CPU like a threadripper might be able to do it at full 4800 speed 32GB or 64GB, but still probably unlikely at 64GB 4800.

Ranks can impact the stability.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

I've got it running stable at 3600. I can run 2 at 4800 though. Now I just need to figure out is speed vs capacity more important.

Thanks all.

33 minutes ago, DireWolfPup said:

I've got it running stable at 3600. I can run 2 at 4800 though. Now I just need to figure out is speed vs capacity more important.

Thanks all.

32GB is more than enough RAM for a gaming computer. It will never use up 64GB on its own and or that will be EXTREMELY rare that it could.

I would go with the two sticks at 4800 if performance is your #1 worry. If it was only like 3866 or 4000 you were trying to get I would say use all 4 at 3600, but since its 4800 RAM and 4 over 2 sticks 3-4% performance improvement is probly less than 4800 setting will give you, I would go with 2x 16GB at 4800.

You can always put the other sticks in later and set it at 3600 should you ever find you need 32GB more RAM. Chances are though, you will never need it unless your a video editor and encoder or you are running lots of virtual machines and thousands of chrome tabs while trying to play your games. If you are gaming and streaming, 32GB is plenty.

In reality, you will probly never notice the difference between 4 sticks at 3600 and 2 at 4800. Without software telling you the minor FPS differences, you most likely would never notice. If you really want 64GB, 3600 is still plenty fast.