Download Speed

Cooper G

Hi, I just got a new MSI GE66 Raider laptop (2070 super not the 3080) for gaming last year, and obviously, I downloaded a ton of games. I really good speeds at about 40-55 MBps for like three months, and then, my downloads just tanked and started hovering around 1 MBps. There was no gradual decay, and my internet hasn't changed. My internet speed isn't the problem because my router is pretty beefy. I've tried looking it up and everyone just says it's an internet issue when mine isn't. I downloaded Microsoft updates, MSI updates, installed Windows 11 yesterday hoping it would help, but it didn't. Yesterday and today, I tried installing a game, and the download started at about 60 MBps before gradually falling all the way back to 1 MBps both times. Also, when I do an internet download speed test, I get great scores, but they never work on actual downloads on any site. I've tried Steam, MS Store, Blizzard, email attachments through Chrome, etc. and they all get 1 MBps. I don't know what's wrong. My laptop still runs games really well, but I'm tired of waiting for three or more days for some downloads. Please help

It's probably not your computer, but your ISP, limiting your connection speed for some reasons. 

Only other thing that could be if you have some antivirus or software "firewall"  or something that tries to protect you by analyzing incoming data - that could limit your speeds.

Go to a friend's house, or to your work /school with the laptop, connect it to another network, see if you get same speeds. If it's the same somewhere else, it's your computer, otherwise it's your ISP.