This fell off my 3080 what is it?

Jnys

The title may explain things but this little thing fell of my 3080??? The card has been used for 1 year and i cant seem to understand what it is?

I am trying to rma the card but they say its a "vrm" But there are multiple signs telling me its a resistor. Can anyone tell me what it is?

2r2.jpg

1 minute ago, Jnys said:

The title may explain things but this little thing fell of my 3080??? The card has been used for 1 year and i cant seem to understand what it is?

I am trying to rma the card but they say its a "vrm" But there are multiple signs telling me its a resistor. Can anyone tell me what it is?

2r2.jpg

I first thought it was a capacitor of sorts, but I definitely trust the company's thoughts WAY before my own

What did they say about it?

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

Just now, Alder Lake said:

I first thought it was a capacitor of sorts, but I definitely trust the company's thoughts WAY before my own

What did they say about it?

Well in the email they said "you must have dropped the card since it's a vrm sorry" But it's not a vrm i think and i have never dropped the card. Everyone on pcmasterrace and nvidia reddit tells me its a resistor.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

VRM and resistor is practically the same thing. In terms of electric components it's a resistor/choke, in GPU terms it's a VRM

thanks

Just now, Jnys said:

Well in the email they said "you must have dropped the card since it's a vrm sorry" But it's not a vrm i think and i have never dropped the card. Everyone on pcmasterrace and nvidia reddit tells me its a resistor.

can't you deny dropping the card and point out that there's no rounded corners or any other sort of damage that would accumulate from dropping it

4 minutes ago, Jnys said:

2r2.jpg

A "vrm" isn't a single component, it's a section of the board that consists of a VRM controller, MOSFETs, coils, capacitors and several other small components. This component could be part of the VRM, but it certainly is a resistor. How many contact legs does it have on the bottom? Any active component, i.e. a controller or a transistor, has more than 2. 

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

A "vrm" isn't a single component, it's a section of the board that consists of a VRM controller, MOSFETs, coils, capacitors and several other small components. This component could be part of the VRM, but it certainly is a resistor. How many contact legs does it have on the bottom? Any active component, i.e. a controller or a transistor, has more than 2. 

it has 2

5 minutes ago, Alder Lake said:

can't you deny dropping the card and point out that there's no rounded corners or any other sort of damage that would accumulate from dropping it

I just wrote an email saying "i haven't dropped the card and there isn't any physical evidence of it"

7 minutes ago, Jnys said:

I just wrote an email saying "i haven't dropped the card and there isn't any physical evidence of it"

well, sounds good to me

I wish you the best of luck 🙏

Well at least you'll have reduced coil whine..... It's an inductor and is 2.2 ohms. You can get these for like 2 bucks. Nice thing is that it's surface mounted and might be an easy repair if you cannot get an RMA through the manufacturer.