Help plz

Spacecadet3890

Tl:dr i keep getting stuck at post with 0 drives showing up but them showing up in bios and not being able to boot from my 1tb m.2 drive

Alright im on a asus Asus (Z97-A), 4790k and gtx1080, i have 2, 500gb drives(salvage), 1, 2tb drive and i recently added a m.2 drive for boot... When i added the m.2 I had no issue all 4 drives popped up, we moved and i lost one 500gb drive dedicated to windows apps for gamepass games i dropped my subscription to gamepass anyway and wasn't worried about that drive it just didn't show up and I wasn't playing anything off it so I just left it alone, a couple days ago a chassis fan died my side pannel is permanently off because when i upgraded to a 1080 the pannel won't fit with the power connectors on they stick out to far so i just unplugged the front fan it was a salvage and wasn't doing much anyway, when I set back up the 500gb drive that was missing came back but my other 500 that was full of movies and tv shows just disappeared, i figured i would just upgrade to like an 8 tb ssd most of my data is iso files for games, movies and tv shows and yes all the drives are full except the new one. My issue is that the first night after just unplugging a fan from the mobo i woke up to the system crashed after working till i fell asleep i use my computer mostly to watch tv or movies, the screen showed up as having 0 drives but listing them in the bios, i reset 4-5 times gave up flipped the switch on my power supply got back home from work started troubleshooting the system and it just booted into windows(with one drive that i pulled out of a probably 10 year old backup drive enclosure showing up) and another newer salvaged from a old computer not showing up. Im worried im going to get stuck in bios again, me and my wife use this to watch tv everyday and I use it to game when i want to any ideas as to the issue? Its been running almost nonstop since i built it 6-7 years ago I feel like for at least another couple years my hardware will play what I want, at playable settings. Even at minimum settings and 1080 resolution. Idk if cheaping out on my motherboard is finally catching up to me or its just because I have jammed any extra drive i could get my hands on into it for more storage I do have almost 4 tb of movies and games. Is my best solution to upgrade my board or just buy a 8tb hdd and remove the old jankier ones? Im worried the board or cpu is dying because the m.2 drive didn't show up as a bootable drive, but i really don't want to replace them until i hit a point that I can't play what I want. The 1080 has also only been in system for about 2 years now, before i was on a nvidia 740 4gb that was just at its limiting point of what i would consider unplayable. Sorry for the long winded post and the stroke it probably gave you reading it my grammars bad when im sober and I have been drinking a little. Any help is appreciated

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Z97 not support m.2 boot without hacky custom BIOS? My memory is a little fuzzy on that age of board. Used spinning rust is never a good investment, too much risk. 

9 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Z97 not support m.2 boot without hacky custom BIOS? My memory is a little fuzzy on that age of board. Used spinning rust is never a good investment, too much risk. 

Its the (a) model idk if makes a difference the manual advertised it as being used for storage. Didn't take any special bios just added it in installed windows to it and booted off it been about 6 months this is the first time I have had any issues. 

9 hours ago, Spacecadet3890 said:

Its the (a) model idk if makes a difference the manual advertised it as being used for storage. Didn't take any special bios just added it in installed windows to it and booted off it been about 6 months this is the first time I have had any issues. 

*Stares off to side* dyslexia moment: I was remembering X79.......