Is this sign of a bad/dying GPU?

Just4lol

My 3070 is only 1 year and a month old. 

So my screen started to randomly turn grey for less than a second ang go back to normal. Then if was turning black and sometime a random line would start to appear horizontally randomly to finally a the end of they day, the screen started to flicker non stop and was not usable. I reinstalled an older version of the driver and it kinda worked. Doing that usually fix the issue but comes back after a while.

The next day, no issue at all (some lines might have appear without me seeing them) and no performances issues. Like yesterday I was able to play RDR 2 all night without a trace of a problem. 

When I come back from work (like today) I can see that my computer have rebooted, it happened .2-3 times so far I don't know if it can corrupts the driver? 

I did a memory test on my gpu, no issues during the test. I also ran Furmak to stress my gpu and it was still behaving normally. 

I still have my 1080 in my computer and I pugged my screen into it when my screen was flashing but when pugged in it, everything was fine.

I just installed a new kit of ram last week, I tried to find one as similar as the one I had. The new kit is from the same company but 3200mhz instead of 3000. I run then at 3000. I don't know if it can cause this kind of issue.  

So, I am not sure if the issue is hardware of software... I am doing a memory test right now just in case but I doubt it would be it. After that, I will do a clean install of the drivers and if it is still happening, I will try to inspect it to see if I can see something. 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Try taking out the 1080. 

Can I just unplug the power cable from it? 

1 minute ago, Just4lol said:

If you want to potentially kill your GPU and board yeah, go for it. 

Remember it still draws power from the slot. It could end up trying to draw all of its power from the slot and go poof. Just take it out. 

3 minutes ago, Just4lol said:

no, take it out

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Remember it still draws power from the slot. It could end up trying to draw all of its power from the slot and go poof. Just take it out. 

^this

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ho, I am glad I asked.... 

Quick update, I tried DDU, same thing, image flicker. But, when I change the resolution to one lower or when I change the refresh rate from 120 to 60, the image stop flickering. Could it be a bad cable? My screen res is 4k 120hz. the hdmi 2.1 worked fine but it miht have die, I am trying another cable right now and no issue so far. I dont know if it is a hdmi 2.1 cable though but i could set up the resolution and regresh rate. 

I had this issue with a long cable, a shorter one worked perfect. I want that 15ft though 

4 hours ago, Broski said:

I had this issue with a long cable, a shorter one worked perfect. I want that 15ft though 

Well, I thought I found the issue by changing the cable but the issue randomly came back... And it magically fixed itself after I changed the refreshes back and forth from 60 to 120 a couple of times. If it was the cable, would it not be a continuous issue?

Issues from poor signals are random but happen more with more bandwidth used. You can try increasing the color space to see if it happens more. A poor signal cable can still work most of the time. Maybe checked the GPU maker for any firmware updates