PC suddenly shutting down.

Hi, I need somebody's help, since about 1 or 2 weeks ago my pc just shuts down randomly, well, kinda; whenever I start gaming it just dies, here's what has been happening:

A bit of context:

• A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my pc from a Ryzen 7 3700x to a 5800x and my gpu from a RX 580 to a RX 6800 XT. As part of that upgrade I also had to change my MoBo since my previous one (TUF x570 plus WiFi) apparently died so I replaced it with a ROG Strix x570 E-Gaming.
  • I also installed an AIO cooler, Kraken M22 by NZXT and a couple of Phanteks RGB strips.
  • The issue started presenting a couple of days before the upgrade.
  • I haven't done any sort of OC to any component

What I know about the issue:

• Whenever I start playing a game, after a few seconds or minutes the computer just dies, no blue screen, no event logs no nothing, it just crashes
  • This has happened with a variety of games: SnowRunner, ATS, LoL, F1 2021 and also with the pc iddling, just downloading games via Steam
  • The issue doesn't present every time I play, sometimes there's no issue, I just get to play normally but some other times it happens as soon as I initialize a game
  • When it dies, it won't start just by pushing the Power Button again, I'd need to restart the PSU (turn it off, wait a couple of secs and turn it on again) so I can push the power button again
  • In previous days the only event I could see in the Event Viewer was one related to a HID (compliant headset) not founding a proper driver (and I even got to see the driver issue in the DeviceManager), I had a HyperX cloud II headset connected at the time so I initially tried to upgrade/downgrade the headset firmware but it didn't worked so I just disconnected it and the log disappeared tho the shutting down issue is still here
  • Since then, no logs appear when the pc crashes, there's just a couple error logs but related to the pc not shutting down properly, just that, no critical log nor anything.
  • A couple of days ago my GPU started coil whining and just yesterday I noticed that whenever there was a load of >80% in the gpu the pc would crash.
  • Though today, playing Lol, with a load of <40% it happened again.
  • I tried taking my fans to 100% and also setting the GPU fans to be at 100% via MSI afterburner to avoid overheating of the GPU, the temperature never went above 60C and it still crashed
  • I just updated the GPU drivers a couple of days ago, they're up-to-date now and also used CCleaner to remove any junk files.
  • Based on what I've been digging thru the web some say that the issue might be related to the PSU not giving enough power to the components, I think 750W should be enough unless the PSU is failing already for some reason. I'm going to test with a 850W PSU today and update when that is done.

Here's the specs for my PC:

- MoBo: ROG Strix X570 e-Gaming

- CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

- GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6800 XT

- Storage: PNY CS900 240GB SDD (storing games), Intel 256 SDD (contains a Linux OS), 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (storing games only), 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe SDD (OS lives here in a partition, another partition for a Linux OS)

- PSU: ~2 year old EVGA 750 N1, 750W (FYI with a 2 year warranty)

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 DRAM 3000Mhz

- Fans and cooling: Artic P12 x 5 (3 intake 2 exhaust), NZXT Kraken M22 AIO

- Case: Corsair 270R

Sounds like a PSU problem, but not necessarily a capacity issue. 750 W should be plenty. Sounds more like a fault with the PSU.

I'll be interested to hear if the issue goes away when you try another PSU.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

23 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Sounds like a PSU problem, but not necessarily a capacity issue. 750 W should be plenty. Sounds more like a fault with the PSU.

Thanks for the reply! 

Here's a quick update: Yesterday I got my hands on an EVGA 850W BQ and ran LOL and ATS for a while (about 2 hrs) without the issue, even the coil whining mostly disappeared: instead of constant noise there were now just lapses of time where it would come up for about 2-5 secs and then go away. I saw usages of the GPU up to 90% and temperatures always below 40C with fans at top speed.

Imma continue testing for a couple of days with that PSU and post any update. I'll revert the fans changes I did to both the gpu and the case in general to see how it goes.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, RAS_3885 said:

So, another quick (and hopefully final) update on this:

- After a few days with the spare 850w psu I borrowed I determined that the issue was indeed a faulty PSU.

- I bought a new Seasonic Focus GX-850 psu and installed it yesterday, I've been using my pc without issue since it (very little time, yes but I'm confident)

So that's it I think, I won't update this topic anymore unless there's any news in the coming days, thanks for you reply again @RAS_3885🙂

8 hours ago, lmkdo said:

So, another quick (and hopefully final) update on this:

- After a few days with the spare 850w psu I borrowed I determined that the issue was indeed a faulty PSU.

- I bought a new Seasonic Focus GX-850 psu and installed it yesterday, I've been using my pc without issue since it (very little time, yes but I'm confident)

So that's it I think, I won't update this topic anymore unless there's any news in the coming days, thanks for you reply again @RAS_3885🙂

Awesome, glad you're back up and running normally!

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15