Data horder

steeltoon

So i like to horde stuff and that applied to video, photos, tv show etc. I am use to having a unstable internet connection or a slow one at that, i developed a habit of downloading stuff while i sleep and hording shows so i can rewatch them later on.

I am running into the issue of too little storage/ how save can my storage be. Currently have 2 external hard-drive of 2tb each, and 3 internal hard-drive of 4tb each, wondering if there is a more reliable/ cost effective way to just keep buying hard drives. There 2 drive dedicated to "cold storage", stuff that will not be change/ delete and 2 that are piloted daily. When something i feel should be kept it is move to "cold". Also worried about drive failures etc.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

buy a few 10tb drives and string them in a nas?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

the general reccommendation is:

HAve live storage in excess of what you need.  Preferably with some level of redundancy there.  A RAID Set is good for this.  (Can be in PC or on a NAS.)

Have cold storage that is a backup of that live storage.  These are external USB Disks that hold copies of data on live.

RAID lets a drive in your live storage die, and you can still recover it.

That way if something happens to the 'live' data, even after a RAID Failure, the cold data is a second backup.

I'm a bit of a data hoarder myself and like you i have multiple drives. It's an expensive habit, isn't it. 🙂

I got bigger drives. I have 6 sata (2 ssd, 4 hdd), 2 nvme and 2 externals. I'm just about to replace my externals with 5tb drives because im running out of room.