Washed out Colors on Chrome

So here is a fun one I noticed that something looked off on my daily LTT viewings , colors are washed out on Chrome, brave and edge (left)  but are fine on Firefox (right)

63150113_washedoutwhy.thumb.png.ec90cddb7153d820f5e501645389ffcd.png

I am on Windows 11 and have a dell s2721dgf  with the ICC profile installed, 10bit is on in Nvidia but I have HDR off on the monitor because its only HDR 400 , messing with 8bit/10bit  changed nothing.

Some Google Foo found stuff about washed out colors and flipping on Force color profile to sRGB/sRGB Linear  in chrome/brave to fix this , the only thing that did work was to change the profile to "HDR 10 (HDR when available)"

I'm super curious as to why this is happening since HDR isn't even on , If I understand correctly (monitors/color spacing is not my area of expertise) HDR would allow 10 bit color so that might be why but wouldn't SRGB do the same ?

• 9 months later...

I know this is old but I have the same problem with my TUF Gaming VG27WQ.

Is this because chromium doesn't support wide color gamut ICC profiles? I could never use the monitor's ICC profile from Asus website because of this...

There's little information on the internet about this, most people don't know they can go to the monitor's manufacture website to download a color profile for their monitor to begin with.

What works: Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome, or Force color profile to sRGB in flags.

None of it is ideal. And this problem of washed out colors occurs in Steam and Spotify too, as they're chromium based.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows