Upgrade from old XP machine

Boilerhogbc

Budget (including currency): 369

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Doom 3, ms office, other random free 1080p/1440 games.  Nothing hardcore.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc)

Old ATX antec case(see pictures)
See the picture of the parts I have aquired over the last two weeks on the cheap(total spent about 150$).   RAM is 2x16 trident z nero DDR 4 4000.  I dont care for the RGB in the fans but would probably like to control it to make sure its off as this case doesnt have any clear sides to see the light anyway.  

I dont/wont be doing any heavy gaming, nothing over 1080P/1440 kind of range.  

I'm looking at a middle class mobo/cpu/air cooler to complete this build.  I'll remove the HDDs from the cage on the front and the entire lower portion where they are currently located to allow better cable management and whatever else.  

What would you recommend for a middle of the road mobo/cpu combo for this archaic atx case?  Im leaning toward an 8th or 9th gen intel and I wont be overclocking much if at all, i just dont want to have any major bottle necks.  20211129_154752.thumb.jpg.30e36b794eee1511dd34967efcb659b0.jpg20211129_154716.thumb.jpg.328b4746c9e06b8ca152ac39f7f1b76b.jpg20211129_154733.thumb.jpg.ee51e54b31dc7dfb86a78e43d1f8ee7d.jpg20211129_154958.thumb.jpg.8e624f7c306b38e46a49eac3c103aab9.jpg

You could definitely pick up a used B450 + Ryzen 5 3600 combo for that budget and that would likely be the best option to still have room for 1 more cpu upgrade down the line.

Potentially new, a Ryzen 3600 new is about 250-260$ right now. Leaving the rest for a decent motherboard.

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Also sell me that motherboard when you upgrade, that’s a dope 775 board

If you were in my area I totally would.  Im not a fan of shipping electronics in the mail.  

It was a good machine but I think the ram and such are probably pooched, so I'm gonna sell it for cheap at some point.  
Thanks for the other reply.

You can easily stay in budget with the B450 3600 combo, I can't remember for sure, but I thought most dell machines like that had a proprietary form factor for the motherboard, so I'm not too sure if your gonna be able to reuse that case.

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

You can easily stay in budget with the B450 3600 combo, I can't remember for sure, but I thought most dell machines like that had a proprietary form factor for the motherboard, so I'm not too sure if your gonna be able to reuse that case.

This wasnt a Dell product.  It was the last time I built a machine myself.  

Unless that asus sku was a dell only one that I wasnt aware of.

Ended up getting some new stuff to complete this build.  GPU seems to be dead.  I'll be trouble shooting it shortly.  

20211129_201814.jpg

9 hours ago, 8tg said:

Also sell me that motherboard when you upgrade, that’s a dope 775 board

P5qe is literally the best asus board on p45 maybe along with the maximus ii formula, though with records at ~680 fsb they still kinda suck when they are literally the highest end p45 asus makes but any midrange/high end giga or biostar can do higher, welp its the price that determines if that board is good or not so if its equal or more expensive to a giga or biostar p45 then yea flaming trash dont bother

That board is prob still usable as a daily for basic tasks, though you could sell it for quite abit since its a desirable 775 board, if you had anything less than a p5qe or maximus ii formula then yea it goes in the shtter cause the lower end asus boards are flaming garbage, my p5q can only do 585fsb absolute max, beats my g31m s2c by 43fsb but still quite pathetic for a p45 board, and thats with bios mod to p5qd with ebb swapped to maximus ii formula along with a tec cooler on the nb, though i may just be ram limited cause they keep crapping out, welp if i get my ud3p fixed itll prob annihilate that p5qe, just waiting on the f ing tools and gotta buy better rams, pref ones with micron d9 or timings like 1066 5-5-5-15

10 hours ago, Boilerhogbc said:

Old ATX antec case

Uhhh im pretty sure youll wanna replace the case cause airflow on these old cases tend to suck ass, and looks to be a solid front too. Swap the case for a good mesh case like the p400a or make a mesh sidepanel for that antec case so better airflow

9 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Uhhh im pretty sure youll wanna replace the case cause airflow on these old cases tend to suck ass, and looks to be a solid front too. Swap the case for a good mesh case like the p400a or make a mesh sidepanel for that antec case so better airflow

The case is great for air flow.  Two 120mm fans on the front(mesh/filter), a 140mm on the top and a 120mm on the rear.  This was one of those cases with a grill on the side panel for another 120mm fan as well.

The case is still sold online as well.