Surround Sound Recommendation Request

DanTheMuffinMan

Audio noob here. What would be the best way to go surround sound these days with a budget of about $2000 Canadian?

Use-case is mostly watching TV shows, movies and couch gaming on a 4k Bravia tv. I've been using a soundbar + subwoofer for the last couple of years but I've heard surround can make a big difference. I've got my main PC plugged into the TV, that's what runs most of my content if it matters.

I think I want Atmos, but I don't really know audio stuff. I liked the look of that Sony HT-A7000 that Linus reviewed a couple months ago, but I assume a receiver + multiple speakers is still going to deliver a superior performance?

Anyway, please let me know if there are any general recommendations for a from-scratch surround sound system in the $2000 budget range or if I need to provide any more info for a recommendation. Don't suppose there's an RTings equivalent for audio stuff?

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

I currently am running a full klipsh system with atmos. I like klipsh plus once they have the 50 percent speical, you can save alot. I would recommend a marantz or denon receiver. I have the marantz sr6015. Speakers i am using r-820-f , r34c, klipsh 8 in ceiling  and r-41s for atmos. 

I'd recommend looking used for speakers first and foremost.  You'd be surprised what you can find in relation to full 5.1 sets on the used market for typically a lot less.  For example you can get This complete Paradigm package for $700.  Toss on a decent Denon AVR and you're in business with a solid above entry level rig.

Bonus points: good speakers that you buy later on typically don't depreciate much more.  You could probably lose the sub and still justify $500 five to ten years down the road for the speakers as long as you don't wreck them.  This means more money towards future upgrades should you decide you need them.

Just my two cents though.

I would go with discreet 5.1 before I went with a 5.1.4 atmos soundbar--but that's just me.  I want proper left/right fronts.

Going to be difficult to squeeze a 5.1.4 non-soundbar into that price point.  I'm sure options may exist, but I haven't really ran across them; and certainly none as an "all in 1" solution.