How to disconnect from Synology NAS in Windows File Explorer

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

Delete the existing mount by right clicking it and selecting delete then in file explorer go to Tools > Map Network Drive (note this is different from Connect to a network location) then tick the box that says "Connect as a different user" when you get the option and sign in with the new account.

Hello.

I just bought a Synology DS220+, I've set it up following some guides but I'm having a stupid little problem I cannot find a solution to.

I've entered my NAS from the Windows File Explorer (\\"name of my nas"). At the login Window I've entered my credentials no problem but now I need to log out and log back in with another user.

I've set up 4 different users so far including an account for administration only but I'm now stuck with one user only and I cannot find out how to do this simple procedure.

Pls help, I'm still a noob at this..

Delete the existing mount by right clicking it and selecting delete then in file explorer go to Tools > Map Network Drive (note this is different from Connect to a network location) then tick the box that says "Connect as a different user" when you get the option and sign in with the new account.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ok I’ll try but how can I explain this… I don’t have any option to delete the unit.

It’s not a mapped drive, the NAS showed up on it’s own, I think Windows found it on the network.

I kind of lied, I didn’t type the \\"name of my nas" anyway, the path is the same.

Ok I had some time and tried it out and it worked fine.

I have a different related question now but I don't even know how to put it in simple words.

I think I'll make a new post.

Thanks anyway.

Ok I figured things out and this is my new related question.

I now know how to setup a network drive and to enter this Synology with my DSM account while at home but, how can I enter this same network drive outside of my network?

I know there are apps like Synology Drive for this but is there a way I can just have a network drive on my files explorer to enter it from anywhere else from outside my network?

3 hours ago, Drexo said:

Ok I figured things out and this is my new related question.

I now know how to setup a network drive and to enter this Synology with my DSM account while at home but, how can I enter this same network drive outside of my network?

I know there are apps like Synology Drive for this but is there a way I can just have a network drive on my files explorer to enter it from anywhere else from outside my network?

No, mounting SMB over Internet is extremely insecure. You either want to run a home VPN that you can connect to if you want to use it this way, or use a cloud solution like nextcloud / owncloud. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

23 hours ago, Jarsky said:

No, mounting SMB over Internet is extremely insecure. You either want to run a home VPN that you can connect to if you want to use it this way, or use a cloud solution like nextcloud / owncloud. 

So at this point I'm guessing the network drive in files explorer at home and Synology Drive when outside of my network would be safer.

Thanks.