Updating AMD Adrenalin driver on Ryzen 7 5700G causes no signal & black screen on monitor

Go to solution Solved by DoggoDynamics,

Last ditch effort before RMA process, I updated to ver 21.12.1, released 12/3/21, and upon 100% installation, no signal.. However, instead of just plugging in the HDMI cable to test, I disconnected the DisplayPort, then connected the HDMI.. and there was a signal. I replaced the DP without HDMI, and no signal. There is no way the cable was an issue. After some sleuthing, I found that a similar issue was fixed by reconnecting the monitor power plug.. now my DP cable provides a signal. There was never an issue with the processor. Closing this as solved.

So recently I have determined an issue, after downloading windows update I noticed there was an optional driver update "AMD - Display - 27.20.14536.3" and without thinking, I went ahead and installed it. Came back to PC with black screen, no signal, no response on monitor. I reset my PC, got as far as the log-in screen for about 1 second, and black screen no signal, every reattempt got this far. Thinking it was a buggy update in general, I went in and did the whole nine yards of command prompting, safe mode, repair on advanced start up, system restore, you name it I probably did it to no avail.

My final thought was just to re-install windows, which did work. Then - reinstall update besides that optional update, it is all fine... I install the optional update by itself, and the same issues occur. This time, a system restore point was available (the restore was available and used last time, but the log-in screen to black screen still occurred after used) but I was able to roll back that update on advanced start which got me into the desktop from log-in. So, thinking windows update just trashed on me, I went to AMD website to get the drivers directly. I started with the AMD Radeon Software tool to just knab all the drivers that were wiped from the reinstall, same result, system restore. Then, I just stuck with specific Ryzen 5700G page with the recommended 21.10.2 version, same result, system restore. I then tried the optional 21.11.2 (now it is 21.11.3, this was not available during these tests), same result except on the next start my PC BSOD'd just after the splash screen with the critical process died code?? I was able to get into advanced start up for the command prompt, and it seems that system files at least for SFC Scan, DISM, and chkdsk were affected as none of these would execute correctly if at all. System restore was not available either. At this point, another windows install was the only option I knew of.

Now, looking back, I could have went into safe mode to roll back the graphics driver on device manager (although under the BSOD issue safe mode was not available, tried it as that idea just came to me during that bit but safe mode would also BSOD) instead of system restores or reinstalls, but I mostly wasn't aware of the direct cause of these issues then, not that I'm really certain of the direct cause now just going off of evidence. It is also possible that the force resetting caused the BSOD issue, but again, there was no way I could interact with the PC due to the black screen, no signal, as well as amazing Win10 needing to fail to launch windows correctly for the umpteenth time to get into advanced start. I have not went in and reobtained any other drivers just yet, but I am fairly certain there is an issue with either the driver itself or my PC components - what else could there be? Since my PC is still fairly new (few months) and my boot drive was mostly unused, on the last reinstall of windows I just cleared the whole thing of all partitions and installed as a like-new NVMe SSD to eliminate the possibility of corrupted files carrying over or what have you, just in case there might have been something there causing the BSOD. I have reinstalled the most recent windows update (not optional, the AMD display driver is still there) and that is where the PC is now, besides Discord and Steam and the essentials.

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/awgilb01/saved/#view=r3vMVn (There is NO dGPU)

Windows version: Win10 Home 21H2 19044.1348 64x

BIOS is F13 and will be updating to the newer version shortly, these issues were not present for the whole time of F13 until the initial cause.

The monitor is connected to the motherboard via DisplayPort, interestingly enough earlier today I tried to connect it through HDMI and had no signal. I attempted this as after the reinstall the PC no longer detects my monitor speakers and will not play sound through them or through a headset plugged into the jack on the monitor, but will produce sound through any of the audio ports on the PC/mobo. Secondary issue to me.

UPDATE

I have went to my motherboard support page to grab the updated F14f BIOS, updated it and attempted to install Adrenalin 21.10.2, same result as above. Then, I installed the most recent AMD APU driver on the same page, same result as above. Then, I installed the AMD Chipset Drivers on the same page, restarted PC with no issues. Then, I tried the AMD APU driver again, same result as above. Every instance of black screen, no signal was fixed by entering safe mode to roll-back the display adapter driver. Interestingly enough, the AMD APU driver on the mobo page is version 21.30.14 and released on 10/13/21, there is no direct equivalent to the AMD Ryzen support page... They both use the AMD Radeon Software installer, yet the file from the AMD Ryzen support for ver 21.10.2 is listed as an upgrade, while the file from the mobo support page for ver 21.30.14 is listed as a downgrade... 

That sounds like you did a bunch of stuff.  A whole afternoon of frustration.  It can make a person testy.  It certainly managed to confuse me about what was tried when.  The post seems a bit fractured possibly.  I don’t know.   A good 5 minute distraction might help just to get your mind off it and calm things down.  Something mindless.  I like washing dishes for that myself.  Doesn’t work for everyone. My sister will count random things.  This never worked for me. Simpler and faster though.  I’ve heard psychologists actually suggest splashing really cold water on your face.  Activates a “dive reflex” or something.  Maybe it’s the hot water on my hands that helps me.  I don’t know. 

It sounds like what you did is prove your system is NOT compatible with this optional update.  This whole windows only working if it fails thing implies a bad driver as windows at least prior to 10 and possibly in 10 will automatically launch in safe mode, locking away all drivers.  

What motherboard is this that has both display port and HDMI on it?  If I got that wrong (which I may have, that whole thing was confusing) what motherboard is it anyway? It may matter for future troubleshooting. Video card model too for that matter.  In this day and age people are using some really old video cards occasionally.  New ones can be weird as well. 

I am given to understand you have a 5700g, It’s an APU.  So if you have an APU and a discrete video card you effectively have 2 video cards.  Are you saying it works only with the APU but not with the discrete graphics card at all?  Did it ever work with the discrete card? If not, there may be a problem with that card.  If all you ever did was plug into the motherboard with your monitor you may never have actually tried to use the thing.  AMD may now have some system where it pipes discrete video signal to the APU.  I don’t know. 

the hardware/software thing could at least be tested:

The tests- Will the thing post with no hard drive attached? (Because no hard drive no drivers and no windows  Auto extra safe mode)  Using standard safety stuff to make sure you don’t short or destroy something, Try with both APU and video card. For the first test turn everything off, pull the discrete video card and the hard drive, plug in the monitor to the motherboard connection (so APU), and see if it posts.  If that DOESN’T work you’ve got issues somewhere on your motherboard.  Possibly in bios.  If it DOES work, turn everything off, plug in the video card, (still no hard drive)  attach the monitor to that, and try again.  If it posts both ways it’s not hardware, or at least not any hardware except possibly the drive.  If it posts with the APU but not the discrete video card either the discrete video card hardware or software, or possibly the bios, is suspect. 

AMD stuff is famous for having issues with things unless the most recent bios is used.  This is partially at least because companies don’t always test with AMD hardware and AMD needs to make adjustments itself, which it generally does using bios updates. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That sounds like you did a bunch of stuff.  A whole afternoon of frustration.  It can make a person testy.  It certainly managed to confuse me about what was tried when.  The post seems a bit fractured possibly.  I don’t know.   A good 5 minute distraction might help just to get your mind off it and calm things down.  Something mindless.  I like washing dishes for that myself.  Doesn’t work for everyone. My sister will count random things.  This never worked for me. Simpler and faster though.  I’ve heard psychologists actually suggest splashing really cold water on your face.  Activates a “dive reflex” or something.  Maybe it’s the hot water on my hands that helps me.  I don’t know. 

It sounds like what you did is prove your system is NOT compatible with this optional update.  This whole windows only working if it fails thing implies a bad driver as windows at least prior to 10 and possibly in 10 will automatically launch in safe mode, locking away all drivers.  

What motherboard is this that has both display port and HDMI on it?  If I got that wrong (which I may have, that whole thing was confusing) what motherboard is it anyway? It may matter for future troubleshooting. Video card model too for that matter.  In this day and age people are using some really old video cards occasionally.  New ones can be weird as well. 

I am given to understand you have a 5700g, It’s an APU.  So if you have an APU and a discrete video card you effectively have 2 video cards.  Are you saying it works only with the APU but not with the discrete graphics card at all?  Did it ever work with the discrete card? If not, there may be a problem with that card.  If all you ever did was plug into the motherboard with your monitor you may never have actually tried to use the thing.  AMD may now have some system where it pipes discrete video signal to the APU.  I don’t know. 

the hardware/software thing could at least be tested:

The tests- Will the thing post with no hard drive attached? (Because no hard drive no drivers and no windows  Auto extra safe mode)  Using standard safety stuff to make sure you don’t short or destroy something, Try with both APU and video card. For the first test turn everything off, pull the discrete video card and the hard drive, plug in the monitor to the motherboard connection (so APU), and see if it posts.  If that DOESN’T work you’ve got issues somewhere on your motherboard.  Possibly in bios.  If it DOES work, turn everything off, plug in the video card, (still no hard drive)  attach the monitor to that, and try again.  If it posts both ways it’s not hardware, or at least not any hardware except possibly the drive.  If it posts with the APU but not the discrete video card either the discrete video card hardware or software, or possibly the bios, is suspect. 

AMD stuff is famous for having issues with things unless the most recent bios is used.  This is partially at least because companies don’t always test with AMD hardware and AMD needs to make adjustments itself, which it generally does using bios updates. 

The first thing in my post was a link to hardware specs... But this is a Gigabyte A520M D3SH with DVI-D, HDMI, and DP on-board. There is no dGPU, only iGPU. Not only will the optional windows update cause this issue, but downloading any Ryzen 7 5700G Adrenalin packages from the page, linked in my OG post, will cause this issue - not just the most recent versions.

The PC will post with the NVMe SSD installed, which is where Windows is, and will post without the HDD installed. I can attempt to post without the NVMe, but I am almost certain that isn't going to be the culprit. I can do anything with the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver under Display Adapters in Device Manager (this is what is currently listed in DM as this post is typed), but as soon as I install a Ryzen Adrenalin package (linked in my OG post) to update that to the specific Radeon Graphics adapter, the PC fails to put an image or signal to the monitor. Pressing WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B does the beep and restarts the display driver or whatever the terminology is, but it doesn't put a signal back to the monitor. The only fix is to either solely operate in safe mode, or use safe mode to roll-back that Display Adapter in Device Manager, restart and I can get back into normal windows no problem.

I did forget to mention I cleared CMOS pretty much every time, and the BIOS is now sitting at default settings as of this post - no XMP or anything. I will be updating the BIOS to the most recent version and will update if it does fix the issue. I'm failing to see how my post was confusing, most of the issues would be clearer if you look at my parts list at the beginning of the post. I went in a step-by-step process of what I attempted to troubleshoot, the only thing I can make easier is condensing to simple bullet points...

**please check the update on my OG post for additional information**

1 hour ago, DoggoDynamics said:

The first thing in my post was a link to hardware specs... But this is a Gigabyte A520M D3SH with DVI-D, HDMI, and DP on-board. There is no dGPU, only iGPU. Not only will the optional windows update cause this issue, but downloading any Ryzen 7 5700G Adrenalin packages from the page, linked in my OG post, will cause this issue - not just the most recent versions.

The PC will post with the NVMe SSD installed, which is where Windows is, and will post without the HDD installed. I can attempt to post without the NVMe, but I am almost certain that isn't going to be the culprit. I can do anything with the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver under Display Adapters in Device Manager (this is what is currently listed in DM as this post is typed), but as soon as I install a Ryzen Adrenalin package (linked in my OG post) to update that to the specific Radeon Graphics adapter, the PC fails to put an image or signal to the monitor. Pressing WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B does the beep and restarts the display driver or whatever the terminology is, but it doesn't put a signal back to the monitor. The only fix is to either solely operate in safe mode, or use safe mode to roll-back that Display Adapter in Device Manager, restart and I can get back into normal windows no problem.

I did forget to mention I cleared CMOS pretty much every time, and the BIOS is now sitting at default settings as of this post - no XMP or anything. I will be updating the BIOS to the most recent version and will update if it does fix the issue. I'm failing to see how my post was confusing, most of the issues would be clearer if you look at my parts list at the beginning of the post. I went in a step-by-step process of what I attempted to troubleshoot, the only thing I can make easier is condensing to simple bullet points...

**please check the update on my OG post for additional information**

re: parts list.  
Sounds like I should read it then.  Less helpful than it might be.  There’s no discrete gpu listed there at all.  
Would have generated a comment on the order of “what discrete gpu?  It’s mentioned in the post” or “PSU is odd size” or some such.

Machine as listed would run but with with waaay more than it needs PSU for an APU only machine, but one that still may not be big enough for many larger or newer video cards.  Discrete gpu would have to be an Nvidia 6600ti(?) or smaller or a 5700xt or older, or an AMD 6600 of some variety at the outside.  Nvidia in particular had some not super reasonable PSU size suggestions.  It seems that a 3070 actually often wants an 800watt, and a 3090 can want 1000w if there’s a big intel k cpu onboard as well. Part of the issue is CPUs newer than 9th gen or ryzen plus will do this transient spike thing that can massively raise draw for fractions of a second which can trip OCP (Over Current Protection) Amphere and Navi also do it though, and if you get both doing it at once pop goes the OCP sometimes and everything shuts off.  There has come to be a fairly significant difference between high end and medium end PSUs because of this.  Has to do with how they rig up their OCP apparently. 

re: posts

So posts with either gpu?  Then it’s 95%+ likely  to be software of some sort or another.  Be it bios or windows or drivers. 

re:confusing

confusing to me anyway.  I was confused.  Might just be a “me” thing.  Didn’t see the PCpartpicker list at all which may have contributed. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

re: parts list.  
Sounds like I should read it then.  Less helpful than it might be.  There’s no discrete gpu listed there at all.  
Would have generated a comment on the order of “what discrete gpu?  It’s mentioned in the post” or “PSU is odd size” or some such.

Machine as listed would run but with with waaay more than it needs PSU for an APU only machine, but one that still may not be big enough for many larger or newer video cards.  Discrete gpu would have to be an Nvidia 6600ti(?) or smaller or a 5700xt or older, or an AMD 6600 of some variety at the outside.  Nvidia in particular had some not super reasonable PSU size suggestions.  It seems that a 3070 actually often wants an 800watt, and a 3090 can want 1000w if there’s a big intel k cpu onboard as well. Part of the issue is CPUs newer than 9th gen or ryzen plus will do this transient spike thing that can massively raise draw for fractions of a second which can trip OCP (Over Current Protection) Amphere and Navi also do it though, and if you get both doing it at once pop goes the OCP sometimes and everything shuts off.  There has come to be a fairly significant difference between high end and medium end PSUs because of this.  Has to do with how they rig up their OCP apparently. 

re: posts

So posts with either gpu?  Then it’s 95%+ likely  to be software of some sort or another.  Be it bios or windows or drivers. 

re:confusing

confusing to me anyway.  I was confused.  Might just be a “me” thing.  Didn’t see the PCpartpicker list at all which may have contributed. 

This is a build with no dGPU... Any thoughts about a discrete GPU aren't applicable. I don't have one, and the PC ran just fine as is until I wanted to update the display driver... It should be noted that upon first start up when completing the build that the most recent drivers were installed at the time, meaning that it has had a display driver installed previously without issue.

On the parts note: I'm aware of the PSU amount, there is meant to be room to add a discrete GPU in the future. That future is not here yet and it won't be with a top-tier card.

Let me reiterate: This build has no discrete GPU, only the iGPU given by the APU. I need information on why or how the driver in question is causing the display to have no signal. Power delivery is fine. I had a faulty PSU before the Corsair one listed on the parts list, RMA'd that one and bought the Corsair as I didn't have faith in the model I originally purchased. The PC still has power when these display issues occur, the fans are spinning, the RGB is present, the operating light on the NVMe is present, the power button LED is on. The issue is solely involving the display adapter being updated.

3 minutes ago, DoggoDynamics said:

This is a build with no dGPU... Any thoughts about a discrete GPU aren't applicable. I don't have one, and the PC ran just fine as is until I wanted to update the display driver... It should be noted that upon first start up when completing the build that the most recent drivers were installed at the time, meaning that it has had a display driver installed previously without issue.

On the parts note: I'm aware of the PSU amount, there is meant to be room to add a discrete GPU in the future. That future is not here yet and it won't be with a top-tier card.

Let me reiterate: This build has no discrete GPU, only the iGPU given by the APU. I need information on why or how the driver in question is causing the display to have no signal. Power delivery is fine. I had a faulty PSU before the Corsair one listed on the parts list, RMA'd that one and bought the Corsair as I didn't have faith in the model I originally purchased. The PC still has power when these display issues occur, the fans are spinning, the RGB is present, the operating light on the NVMe is present, the power button LED is on. The issue is solely involving the display adapter being updated.

So there is no and never was any discrete gpu, despite earlier reference to one.  Ok, that clears that up.  

i agree that power delivery is fine if there is no discrete gpu.  I said as much, more or less.  The PSU is big enough to have a small or older one even.  There’s plenty of power.   Perhaps not super efficient, but that doesn’t affect functionality at all.  

So you have it running, and the only issue seems to be not using this optional update because it horks your stuff up, which may be why it is optional.  Is there some reason you want to use it?  Does it do something you feel you need?  There are such things but they’re for win11, not 10.  I get the impression the real question is what exactly this optional update is.  I have no idea.  Is there a description in an attached file some where?  That is common.  This isn’t a troubleshooting problem then it’s a code question I suspect no one but manufacturers will know the answer to and are probably contractually prevented from answering in the first place in any but the vaguest of terms.  If you want the thing to work it is a problem you have already solved yourself:  do a clean reinstall and do not include the optional update.   If you want to know what exactly the optional update is for, there will probably be a readme file somewhere with some text that vaguely describes what it does.  If there isn’t I doubt anyone who knows (which does not include me) would even be legally allowed to tell you. From the way things are behaving it sounds like some sort of bug fix for a type of system very different from the one you have.  Just guessing there though. 

On 11/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, Bombastinator said:

So there is no and never was any discrete gpu, despite earlier reference to one.  Ok, that clears that up.  

i agree that power delivery is fine if there is no discrete gpu.  I said as much, more or less.  The PSU is big enough to have a small or older one even.  There’s plenty of power.   Perhaps not super efficient, but that doesn’t affect functionality at all.  

So you have it running, and the only issue seems to be not using this optional update because it horks your stuff up, which may be why it is optional.  Is there some reason you want to use it?  Does it do something you feel you need?  There are such things but they’re for win11, not 10.  I get the impression the real question is what exactly this optional update is.  I have no idea.  Is there a description in an attached file some where?  That is common.  This isn’t a troubleshooting problem then it’s a code question I suspect no one but manufacturers will know the answer to and are probably contractually prevented from answering in the first place in any but the vaguest of terms.  If you want the thing to work it is a problem you have already solved yourself:  do a clean reinstall and do not include the optional update.   If you want to know what exactly the optional update is for, there will probably be a readme file somewhere with some text that vaguely describes what it does.  If there isn’t I doubt anyone who knows (which does not include me) would even be legally allowed to tell you. From the way things are behaving it sounds like some sort of bug fix for a type of system very different from the one you have.  Just guessing there though. 

Where was the reference to a dedicated GPU?

Please read my entire post... The display driver receiving any sort of update, causes the issue. Optional display update, yes. Any driver specifically from the manufacturer's webpage, yes.

Issue: Black screen, no signal on monitor.
Cause: Updating "Display Adapter" from "Device Manager" to anything besides "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter."
Troubleshooting methods: Reinstalled windows, roll back updates.
How to get PC into functioning state: Enter safe mode to roll back the "Display Adapter."
Why is this not acceptable: I need my drivers to be up-to-date, with Radeon Graphics specifically, for the best performance in gaming and video uses. A driver from 6/21/2006 is not acceptable.

1 minute ago, DoggoDynamics said:

Where was the reference to a dedicated GPU?

Please read my entire post... The display driver receiving any sort of update, causes the issue. Optional display update, yes. Any driver specifically from the manufacturer's webpage, yes.

Issue: Black screen, no signal on monitor.
Cause: Updating "Display Adapter" from "Device Manager" to anything besides "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter."
Troubleshooting methods: Reinstalled windows, roll back updates.
How to get PC into functioning state: Enter safe mode to roll back the "Display Adapter."
Why is this not acceptable: I need my drivers to be up-to-date, with Radeon Graphics specifically, for the best performance in gaming and video uses. A driver from 6/21/2006 is not acceptable.

You mentioned plugging one in and it not working.  Was all kinds of messed up with that one like using the wrong gpu port and all sorts of stuff.   I think I’m one of the very few that actually did read it all the way through.  Most won’t.  I did it mostly because it was cofusing and meandering and I was looking for clues on what hardware you had. Why is this not acceptable?!  I never ever said it wasn’t.  I personallly don’t particularly trust rollback as I’ve had it fail, but it can work.  

• 2 weeks later...

Last ditch effort before RMA process, I updated to ver 21.12.1, released 12/3/21, and upon 100% installation, no signal.. However, instead of just plugging in the HDMI cable to test, I disconnected the DisplayPort, then connected the HDMI.. and there was a signal. I replaced the DP without HDMI, and no signal. There is no way the cable was an issue. After some sleuthing, I found that a similar issue was fixed by reconnecting the monitor power plug.. now my DP cable provides a signal. There was never an issue with the processor. Closing this as solved.