PC Randomly shutting down

AmyTheBun

Hi, I've had this PC For a year and it started randomly shutting down, usually under load but a few times without it (browsing etc)

things I've tried:

resetting bios settings

checking temps

Specs:

Palit Jetstream rtx 3070 OC

Ryzen 2700 (was overclocked to 3.7ghz before resetting my bios, stock cooler, 85c in stress tests but 70c in most tasks, now it's a lot cooler at stock (70c stress)

2x 8GB 3000mhz gskill

PSU: Cooler Master MWE GOLD full modular

Motherboard: asus tuf gaming pro b450

i don't think anything else matters?

EDIT: this only happens with windows. and the next boot after a shuttdown no matter how much time i spent in BIOS before booting again shuts down again.

I'm starting to think this is a windows problem, i f I had space on my ssd i 'd install ubuntu and try it for a while?

15 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

How much Watt does the PSU have?

oh sorry forgot to mention! 750w!

1 hour ago, AmyTheBun said:

Hi, I've had this PC For a year and it started randomly shutting down, usually under load but a few times without it (browsing etc)

things I've tried:

resetting bios settings

checking temps

Specs:

Palit Jetstream rtx 3070 OC

Ryzen 2700 (was overclocked to 3.7ghz before resetting my bios, stock cooler, 85c in stress tests but 70c in most tasks, now it's a lot cooler at stock (70c stress)

2x 8GB 3000mhz gskill

PSU: Cooler Master MWE GOLD full modular

Motherboard: asus tuf gaming pro b450

i don't think anything else matters?

Maybe try running a memtest. I had a similar issue with my system before my old ram died

(it was adata xpg ddr4 3000 of some kind)

2 hours ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

Maybe try running a memtest. I had a similar issue with my system before my old ram died

(it was adata xpg ddr4 3000 of some kind)

I'll do that, but I noticed it only shuts down when in windows, and the next start boot after starting it always immediately shuts down, sounds like a software problem to me!

On 11/18/2021 at 1:59 AM, AmyTheBun said:

Any other ideas?

If you have another drive you could install windows on you could install windows on it and see if the problem persists on that drive. Sorry i didnt reply my internet went down for days. 

14 minutes ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

If you have another drive you could install windows on you could install windows on it and see if the problem persists on that drive. Sorry i didnt reply my internet went down for days. 

it's ok!

and so far with my new GF1 ARGB (damn gotta admit... this psu is kinda pretty ;O and fancy.. it even came with a dumb bag in case i wanna take it out for a walk or something?! lol) i've had zero issues! so it probably was my old PSU.

it had super loud coil whine too

2 hours ago, AmyTheBun said:

it's ok!

and so far with my new GF1 ARGB (damn gotta admit... this psu is kinda pretty ;O and fancy.. it even came with a dumb bag in case i wanna take it out for a walk or something?! lol) i've had zero issues! so it probably was my old PSU.

it had super loud coil whine too

That makes sense. Bad voltage to a drive will cause dropouts of it lol

5 hours ago, AmyTheBun said:

it even came with a dumb bag in case i wanna take it out for a walk or something?! lol

I had an answer (PSU) but looks like you already got it. FYI, I'm dying because I have the same thing lmao. WHY DO THEY GIVE YOU A BAG LMAO

9 hours ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

That makes sense. Bad voltage to a drive will cause dropouts of it lol

Yeah! and i tried to measure the old PSU with a crap and probably inaccurate oscilloscope (the red kit ones)  and at certain measuring rates I could see spikes going up to 12.5v under like a 300w load 0_0

I'm tempted to report this PSU on the PSU tier list as potentially dangerous, but my oscilloscope wasn't a fancy one. but then again it did cause me issues.

The new one doesn't also make the very loud coil whine, tho at high loads it makes a bit of it? and it makes the ever smallest slightest whine at idle or small load. you can only hear it if your ears are at the right direction so meh. but it did drive me bad before i shifted my pc a bit. (i have insanely sensitive ears....)

The manual of the new GF1 ARGB PSU did say that OVP triggers at 14.5v tho.. which worried me! at that point my GPU might've died!

6 hours ago, Farm-Boy_7130 said:

I had an answer (PSU) but looks like you already got it. FYI, I'm dying because I have the same thing lmao. WHY DO THEY GIVE YOU A BAG LMAO

lol I'm gonna use it for my stuff when I travel i guess xD