How to improve in programming?

Emir Bolat

You go and learn. Follow some courses on coursera or something.

Also practice practice practice and challenge yourself.

Another great way is to optimize old projects of yourself in a way they are very adaptive (so classes where needed) and run extremely well.

Write a program/script of some kind, anything at all will do. I've got scripts that verify the SSL certs of my LAN services, check uptimes, output information to my menu bar via Swiftbar, add text files to my local backup with some helpful info I'd need in the event of a restore.

You can also write a program that is just a wrapper for another program. This is always a great exercise because it scales all the way from major projects like the syncoid wrapper sanoid, all the way down to a personal python wrapper for rsync. The great part about writing a wrapper for an existing tool you already like, as that it gives you much more flexibility than just writing a shell script. You can add features to it like notifications, or make your own custom config files/arguments which control just the features you care about.

Personally, I've got a bunch of wrappers that I use so that I can run stuff as cron jobs, add notifications, or adapt logs in some way I prefer. For example, I've got a wrapper for exiftool and sips that I use to share photos with family members and convert/sort them based on what we need. 

In the end, it doesn't matter exactly what you do. Just think of some problem you have that can be solved by programming, and get to work trying to solve it.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:51 AM, Emir Bolat said:

How to improve the programming? How can I be better?

image.png

image.png

Pratice, lots of pratice.

Watch some turtorials, But not too many!

Do make sure you follow good pratices.

Maintain and refactor your code.

Thinkabout the logic of the code you arw writing.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, jaslion said:

Also practice practice practice and challenge yourself.

This is the only correct answer.

You won't be a better programmer by watching other programmers.

Write in C.

Tutorials bore me so I would try to search a project that you are passionate about and only loosely follow tutorials.

Want to learn graphics programming? -> Follow a beginner tutorial, from there build a Minecraft clone with OpenGL

Want to learn multi threading? -> Use a different thread for world generation in your Minecraft clone

Want to learn a new language? -> Rewrite something you already know in the new language

This concept can be applied to any level, you just have to select the correct project for your skill level. And try to not have too many new factors at the same time so it doesn't get too hard.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\