Buying/Building First PC

Luissss

Budget (including currency): $1300 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly for playing games like Fortnite, Minecraft, other shooters, and running 3D design software (Inventor, SolidWorks, Blender)

Other details: This is going to be my first Desktop, so I’m happy to start out small. I knew I would need a decent amount so I saved up enough to get a decent start. I am happy to either build it or buy it, whichever is better. I lean more towards the AMD side of things when it comes to CPU but can go anyway when it comes to GPU. Like I said this is my first time with a desktop so I’ll take any recommendations and tips for what to do.

Desktop: I am planning to use about 1000 for the desktop itself, slightly more if necessary. The case itself isn't a big deal, but some RGB is always nice :)

Peripherals: The remaining budgets is for peripherals, not looking for anything crazy, just good for gaming.  Looking for about 1080p resolution, I found a few monitors with 144hz displays and a nice Razer Ornata Chroma that I will most likely buy unless suggested otherwise. But any recommendations within my budget are appreciated!

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndwh4d

It's an iGPU system, the only thing that you're able to get now with the budget. 8 cores, 32GB of RAM, and all the peripherals you want.

Thank you! I definitely will keep a lookout for a GPU in the future, and if anyone has any other suggestions for builds or prebuilt systems, I’m all ears!

15 minutes ago, Luissss said:

Other details: This is going to be my first Desktop, so I’m happy to start out small. I knew I would need a decent amount so I saved up enough to get a decent start. I am happy to either build it or buy it, whichever is better. I lean more towards the AMD side of things when it comes to CPU but can go anyway when it comes to GPU. Like I said this is my first time with a desktop so I’ll take any recommendations and tips for what to do.

1. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for using the template forms properly in this subforum.

2. My simplest tips to get a gaming PC overall in the current GPU shortage is 2 routes:

• Get a PC with no igpu, and grab any GPUs you can off local listings like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or Ebay.
  • Get a PC with decent igpu, and add in a GPU later when everything subsides.

Personally speaking, im in the #1 camp. Assuming you have active income, youll have more performance by the end of the road. And with that in mind, here you go.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($393.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.26 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team T-Force Cardea Zero Z330 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card  ($40.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG PYLON 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: MSI Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($179.00 @ Abt)
Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce Wired Mini Keyboard  ($39.97 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse  ($39.97 @ Amazon)
Custom: KBEAR KS2 in Ear Monitor,Stereo Bass Headphone, Yinyoo HiFi Over Ear Earbud Headset Noise Cancelling Hybrid 1BA 1DD Earphone with Removable Cable for Running Walking,Church,Stage(no mic, KS2   ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1277.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-21 02:26 EDT-0400

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I am going to see if I can get you a decent GPU within your budget and with reasonable parts as well. It might take me a few minutes.

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

1. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for using the template forms properly in this subforum.

2. My simplest tips to get a gaming PC overall in the current GPU shortage is 2 routes:

• Get a PC with no igpu, and grab any GPUs you can off local listings like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or Ebay.
  • Get a PC with decent igpu, and add in a GPU later when everything subsides.

Personally speaking, im in the #1 camp. Assuming you have active income, youll have more performance by the end of the road. And with that in mind, here you go.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($393.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.26 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team T-Force Cardea Zero Z330 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card  ($40.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG PYLON 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: MSI Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($179.00 @ Abt)
Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce Wired Mini Keyboard  ($39.97 @ Amazon)
Custom: KBEAR KS2 in Ear Monitor,Stereo Bass Headphone, Yinyoo HiFi Over Ear Earbud Headset Noise Cancelling Hybrid 1BA 1DD Earphone with Removable Cable for Running Walking,Church,Stage(no mic, KS2   ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1277.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-21 02:26 EDT-0400

Thank you so much for your help!

5 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

I am going to see if I can get you a decent GPU within your budget and with reasonable parts as well. It might take me a few minutes.

Thank you! I look forward to your help!

21 minutes ago, Luissss said:

Thank you! I look forward to your help!

Alright! Here is what I have for you:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rj9G7X

The CPU is the 5800X which I agree with everyone would be a good fit for you since you want to game and use 3D design software.

The CPU cooler is perhaps a little wimpy, but it is also from Noctua which is a really great company in my opinion that makes fantastic products.

I don't know too much about the motherboard myself other than it seems like a solid one and is a B550 with WIFI as an added bonus.

For the RAM I have a total of 32GB of DDR4 @ 3600 MT/s with CAS 16. While it does not leave you any room for upgrades, that should be enough.

For the SSD I chose the P5. I have only heard good things about them. I have not used them before, but do have a P1 from when they first released and am pretty happy with it.

As for the case, this is where I had to cut some corners with the price, but according to the reviews, its actually not a bad one for airflow.

The PSU I skimped on a bit here to, BUT I have used many of these in my builds and they work pretty well. If you want to upgrade the GPU (which I will go over below) then I would also consider upgrading the PSU as well to power it. But for now this will do.

The monitor I was recommended from another user on this forum. Its a good budget 1080p display.

The keyboard I went a bit cheap on, but kept the reviews in mind and this is what came up. Its worth noting that it is not a mechanical keyboard so I don't know how you will feel about that. Personally I don't care for mechanical keyboards.

The mouse I also went with the cheapest one with good reviews.

Same as above with the headset, though I made sure it has a mic and covers the ears which is nice.

Now for the GPU, this gives you about $185 to play with, which may not sound like much in this environment, but I am a bargain hunter, and I know a few tips to get you a decent GPU right now with that amount.

What you want to look for is either a GTX 970 or a 1060 3GB. The 1060 3GB has less VRAM than the GTX 970 . . . sort of. I believe the GTX 970 has one of it's four GB of VRAM at a slower speed. But the 1060 is a bit more powerful than the 970. So its up to you which one you want.

Right now as of this message, there are no working GTX 970s or 1060 3GB on eBay at or under $185. But, you can bid on them and be vigilant of listings for them. They do go down to that price every so often. Also for the 1060, make sure it is not the mining version.

1 hour ago, Ykcud said:

I like this, a lot. It kinda rethinks me in the case of where im fine with some waste of tech around, but i got some critics.

1 hour ago, Ykcud said:

The CPU cooler is perhaps a little wimpy, but it is also from Noctua which is a really great company in my opinion that makes fantastic products.

Youre overselling it with the word "wimpy". L9i is pretty much made solely for beating up intel stock cooler in low profile build, and thats it. I would swap for an even cheaper Hyper 212 EVO or Freezer34 from Arctic... Or stick to stock cooler until you can get an NH-U12S that can pretty much handle max PBO on a 5800x with a downvolt.

1 hour ago, Ykcud said:

I don't know too much about the motherboard myself other than it seems like a solid one and is a B550 with WIFI as an added bonus.

Few of the solid ones at matx. ATX would be preferable, and definitely on range at this bracket.

1 hour ago, Ykcud said:

For the RAM I have a total of 32GB of DDR4 @ 3600 MT/s with CAS 16. While it does not leave you any room for upgrades, that should be enough.

Itll be more economically sound to get 2x16GB rather than 2 separate 2x8GB kit. It make sense in an upgrade scenario (even with the migraine of mixing kits even with homogenous binning like Crucial), but for initial build, 2x16.

2 hours ago, Ykcud said:

The PSU I skimped on a bit here to, BUT I have used many of these in my builds and they work pretty well. If you want to upgrade the GPU (which I will go over below) then I would also consider upgrading the PSU as well to power it. But for now this will do.

If youre the kind that hates computer parts on your shelves, this is really not on for some. But with how easy turning even individual computer parts around (i usually can sell most of my computer parts off to the Zuckerberg Data Dump in just 2 weeks), this could be it if your local town computer market is hot. If not, stick to buying the eventual right wattage, even if overspent.

2 hours ago, Ykcud said:

The keyboard I went a bit cheap on, but kept the reviews in mind and this is what came up. Its worth noting that it is not a mechanical keyboard so I don't know how you will feel about that. Personally I don't care for mechanical keyboards.

The mouse I also went with the cheapest one with good reviews.

Same as above with the headset, though I made sure it has a mic and covers the ears which is nice.

As a value peripheral enthusiast i kinda died inside. You can definitely getting a better deal for 87$, and that really should start by throwing Razer out of the equation. Even if you have infinite budget, their headphones are utterly unreliable and hot trash. Oh and last hot tip on this section: If you wanna do peripherals as well you really really should make a PCPP account to access custom parts function. Their audio catalouge can suck anyone's ass.

PCPartPicker Part List

Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($14.99 @ B&H)
Total: $79.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-21 06:12 EDT-0400

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, Luissss said:

Budget (including currency): $1300 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly for playing games like Fortnite, Minecraft, other shooters, and running 3D design software (Inventor, SolidWorks, Blender)

Desktop: I am planning to use about 1000 for the desktop itself, slightly more if necessary. The case itself isn't a big deal, but some RGB is always nice 🙂

Peripherals: The remaining budgets is for peripherals, not looking for anything crazy, just good for gaming.  Looking for about 1080p resolution, I found a few monitors with 144hz displays and a nice Razer Ornata Chroma that I will most likely buy unless suggested otherwise. But any recommendations within my budget are appreciated!

well i dont know the prices on US but here in portugal you could make a tower with GPU for around 1179€, 150 should be enough for 144hz panel, however for peripherals, well just buy a 20€ combo for now and upgrade with good stuff latter. thats what i would do... aside from RGB and clicky sounds you wont get any advantage with ornata from a logitech mk120 keyboard, and then in the future when you do have some money to spare you get a good keyboard and a decent headset.

on headset get hyper x cloud 2 dont go over that.. doesnt worth it unless you got a external amp or a decent sound card but,  then you will get  better deal with music headphones

Components list of the PC 

Ryzen 5 5600x
saphire 6600xt pulse 

Asus tuf b550m mobo
G.skill 16gb ddr4 3600 CL 16 
500gb SSD 
nox urano 650W psu 
and some coolermaster case 

4 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

I like this, a lot. It kinda rethinks me in the case of where im fine with some waste of tech around, but i got some critics.

Youre overselling it with the word "wimpy". L9i is pretty much made solely for beating up intel stock cooler in low profile build, and thats it. I would swap for an even cheaper Hyper 212 EVO or Freezer34 from Arctic... Or stick to stock cooler until you can get an NH-U12S that can pretty much handle max PBO on a 5800x with a downvolt.

Few of the solid ones at matx. ATX would be preferable, and definitely on range at this bracket.

Itll be more economically sound to get 2x16GB rather than 2 separate 2x8GB kit. It make sense in an upgrade scenario (even with the migraine of mixing kits even with homogenous binning like Crucial), but for initial build, 2x16.

If youre the kind that hates computer parts on your shelves, this is really not on for some. But with how easy turning even individual computer parts around (i usually can sell most of my computer parts off to the Zuckerberg Data Dump in just 2 weeks), this could be it if your local town computer market is hot. If not, stick to buying the eventual right wattage, even if overspent.

As a value peripheral enthusiast i kinda died inside. You can definitely getting a better deal for 87$, and that really should start by throwing Razer out of the equation. Even if you have infinite budget, their headphones are utterly unreliable and hot trash. Oh and last hot tip on this section: If you wanna do peripherals as well you really really should make a PCPP account to access custom parts function. Their audio catalouge can suck anyone's ass.

PCPartPicker Part List

Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($14.99 @ B&H)
Total: $79.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-21 06:12 EDT-0400

Thanks for the recommendation! Also I love dank pods videos, nice to see someone else who watches him!

3 hours ago, Nets said:

well i dont know the prices on US but here in portugal you could make a tower with GPU for around 1179€, 150 should be enough for 144hz panel, however for peripherals, well just buy a 20€ combo for now and upgrade with good stuff latter. thats what i would do... aside from RGB and clicky sounds you wont get any advantage with ornata from a logitech mk120 keyboard, and then in the future when you do have some money to spare you get a good keyboard and a decent headset.

on headset get hyper x cloud 2 dont go over that.. doesnt worth it unless you got a external amp or a decent sound card but,  then you will get  better deal with music headphones

Components list of the PC 

Ryzen 5 5600x
saphire 6600xt pulse 

Asus tuf b550m mobo
G.skill 16gb ddr4 3600 CL 16 
500gb SSD 
nox urano 650W psu 
and some coolermaster case 

Thank you! I will consider this list too!

Would any of you guys be completely against a pre-built system? Since the GPU seems to be the major issue in builds these days, I have found systems with 1650 and 1660 supers under my price range, both with Ryzen 5. I’m new to this so I’m not sure if I’m getting a good deal or should stick to building myself. 

1 hour ago, Luissss said:

Would any of you guys be completely against a pre-built system? Since the GPU seems to be the major issue in builds these days, I have found systems with 1650 and 1660 supers under my price range, both with Ryzen 5. I’m new to this so I’m not sure if I’m getting a good deal or should stick to building myself. 

If you know how to build then do it urself. But if you go with pré built consider the prices because 6600xt is way better than 1650 / 1660 and also 5600x is way Faster than 3600/2600