Asus Router Firewall Problem

Chaubie01

I have recently noticed in the Battlefield 2042 beta that i was getting 300 ping and then also found i get the same issue with Rainbow Six Seige, which appears to be a router problem of some sort. I tried many things on my RT-AC5300 Asus router before finally trying to completely turn off the firewall, which fixes the issue i was having. Although I assume having the firewall completely disabled is not ideal, my attempts to figure out how to allow content through the firewall have not gone well and I could use assistance with this problem please

I wish i could help.
But because of similar problems i have had to buy another non ASUS router. After having tried 3models of their high/top-line routers.
I would highly advise staying FAR away from Asus network hardware as its completely dog-shite.

(they have all the bells and whistles and extra antenna's and such, but such mediocre software, that it makes me think the software is written by kids.)

You could look into Asuswrt-Merlin wich is a custom OS for Asus routers made(rather official version altered and extra stuff added) by one of the ex employees.

If that doesn't work i hope you're still in warranty and can return it for a proper working router.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I have had issues with the router a number of times but given the cost of getting a new router I have kept with it, I do have merlin firmware but issues still arise sometimes. I manged to fix the issue I had by turning off logging of firewall events, I assume that the router was having a hard time logging real-time like that and blocked certain connections or simply caused errors. The amount of things I had to try to finally figure out it's litteraly one drop down box in the firewall settings that is blocking my connection to local servers is astounding and somehow I couldn't find information on this anywhere beforehand. What brands do you believe are better than asus, specifically ones with mesh options?

2 minutes ago, Chaubie01 said:

I have had issues with the router a number of times but given the cost of getting a new router I have kept with it, I do have merlin firmware but issues still arise sometimes. I manged to fix the issue I had by turning off logging of firewall events, I assume that the router was having a hard time logging real-time like that and blocked certain connections or simply caused errors. The amount of things I had to try to finally figure out it's litteraly one drop down box in the firewall settings that is blocking my connection to local servers is astounding and somehow I couldn't find information on this anywhere beforehand. What brands do you believe are better than asus, specifically ones with mesh options?

It was a while ago now.

I have got myself a Netgear (r7800) that was a bit cheaper,not perfect but more stable.
Did however had to go custom OS once again, but after that it was smooth sailing for what i need.
Its not super fast, nor has the best wifi speeds, but its stable.
(low pings and lots of bandwidth inside network)

6 hours ago, Chaubie01 said:

ASUS are pretty highly regarded, if you've fixed the issue and it works well I wouldn't replace it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 1 month later...

My Asus GT-AX11000 is terrible. I have random disconnects. If i use WIFI at times it will briefly disconnect. I have opened eBay app on the phone and red light on router for just a few sec. as a test. Call my ISP , replaced the modem , but all is well with incoming service. Tried an old linksys router and the problems went away( at a reduced cap from being old). Used merlin firmware with the cake qos. With or without firewall. Re-flashed back to the stock asus firmware, after the new version came out in Nov. Still have random issue. I have tried everything i could find to make a stable connection. I think it has somethiong to do with the firewall,wifi , and the number of clients attached to the router. My next move is to put on my steel toe boots and kick this $500 router across the back yard.

• 4 weeks later...

I flashed the latest version of Merlin. Then used putty to install (amtm) FlexQos and Skynet. Some setup required after but the random disconnects are gone. Overall performance across the home network seems much better. Hope that helps someone.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:23 PM, Jmed said:

I flashed the latest version of Merlin. Then used putty to install (amtm) FlexQos and Skynet. Some setup required after but the random disconnects are gone. Overall performance across the home network seems much better. Hope that helps someone.

Thank you for reporting back.
Let's hope @Chaubie01 has some use for it. 🙂