240MM AIO options for 5950X?

Bingus_Bongus

Hello

I've been asking about other possible upgrades alongside the R9 5950X, and this got me wondering if my current cooling for my 3900X would work just fine for a 5950X?

Currently I'm using a Corsair H100x 240MM AIO (with 2 fans on each side for intake) for my 3900X. Under normal and stressful operation my CPU has only ever hit a maximum of 75C about 1 or 2 times in the 2 years that I've had it. So my question is, would I be able to use my current cooling setup to adequately cool the 5950X under the same conditions, or would I have to get an AIO with a higher pump RPM such as the H100i?

Any advice on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

Expect Ryzen 5 to run hotter, at least without some tweaking, out of the box. That's just a known thing that people still haven't gotten used to. 

I think the only 240mm AIO I'd use with a chip of that caliber would be Arctics with its thicker rad. 280 minimum. 

Though, since you already have a compatible cooler, just try it and see. With some curve optimizer tweaks you might be just fine.

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

Expect Ryzen 5 to run hotter, at least without some tweaking, out of the box. That's just a known thing that people still haven't gotten used to. 

I think the only 240mm AIO I'd use with a chip of that caliber would be Arctics with its thicker rad. 280 minimum. 

Though, since you already have a compatible cooler, just try it and see. With some curve optimizer tweaks you might be just fine.

I already have my fans running at max RPM, would that be the curve tweaks you just mentioned?

1 minute ago, Bingus_Bongus said:

I already have my fans running at max RPM, would that be the curve tweaks you just mentioned?

Oh, no. Its a method of undervolting the CPU.

The H100x should be fine. There's not much point in replacing it with another 240mm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you run relatively high RPM fans maxed out, then maybe. I have 5800X and Arctic Liquid Frezer II 240mm is not having a fun time when all cores are under heavy load. 5950X has a wider core distribution, but it's essentially two 5800X on same die. It'll be a furnace.

I know a guy who has a D15 on his, its fine.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143