Looking for a good VPN

Pixelfie

My school blocks a lot of sites and monitors pretty much everything. Usually I use the free ProtonVPN, but now they somehow managed to block that. I tried Hotspotshield which does work, but it's data limit is too low. What would you recommend? Price isn't a big problem as long as I don't have to pay like 20 a month

PIA could be a viable option

There's also the option to host your own VPN server, it isn't all that hard, and considering you're a student you might get a free subscription with some 100 USD credit from Microsoft Azure (no CC required if you're a student), Digital Ocean (CC required), etc.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

PIA has been great for me.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Well if the privacy concerns of PIAs location and their parent companies practices don't trouble you and you don't/can't

host your own vpn server it is good enough tho I would suggest using windscribe first.

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

1 hour ago, linux fanboy said:

Well if the privacy concerns of PIAs location and their parent companies practices don't trouble you and you don't/can't

host your own vpn server it is good enough tho I would suggest using windscribe first.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

PIA has been great for me.

2 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

PIA could be a viable option

There's also the option to host your own VPN server, it isn't all that hard, and considering you're a student you might get a free subscription with some 100 USD credit from Microsoft Azure (no CC required if you're a student), Digital Ocean (CC required), etc.

After some googling I found out my school also blocks PIA (they use Eduroam). I did manage to connect to Windscribe, but once I connected to that I can't access any sites. I don't have any credit from my school so can't host my own VPN (at least not for cheap).

Edit: managed to get Windscribe working. 10gb is still limiting as I stream a lot of video, but definitely better than the 500mb

Edited by Pixelfie

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

I don't have any credit from my school so can't host my own VPN (at least not for cheap)

I mean,a ll you have to do is prove you're a student at a school (for azure) and you'll be set with ~100USD of credit

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Surfshark is a good option

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

I mean,a ll you have to do is prove you're a student at a school (for azure) and you'll be set with ~100USD of credit

On some places it says I need to be 16 and others it says 18. I'm 15 so if they need some kind of proof I can't use it

On some places it says I need to be 16 and others it says 18. I'm 15 so if they need some kind of proof I can't use it

Well, it depends on the place. iirc for the US it was 13, but lemme double check

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/free/students/

Older stuff:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Well, it depends on the place. iirc for the US it was 13, but lemme double check

image.png.5682d8037c296f8c599397bcd9389113.png

image.png.20fd4d7261dbec2591dd9d73a354ce8d.png

I don't live in US so I need to be 16. Does it check this or can I just use it earlier?

I don't live in US so I need to be 16. Does it check this or can I just use it earlier?

Well, For me, they ask for a proof of age, then again, I applied during lockdowns and I used a screenshot if teams as academic proof.

Older stuff:

Spoiler

There's also Digital ocean, but they require a Credit card

Older stuff:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

There's also Digital ocean, but they require a Credit card

Yeah I don't have that. I think I'll keep using Windscribe until they somehow block that, or maybe I'll just get a bigger data plan on my phone and use that for hotspot.