Possible CPU bottleneck?

Hey all, I'm a new member because my PC is acting a bit strange.
I built my current rig in late 2017, and I still have it. The parts list is as follows:
i7 7740x (4c 8t 4.3 ghz)

Corsair H60 rev 1 liquid cooler

a cheap-ish asrock motherboard (i'll have the exact model soon enough, currently a bit pre-occupied)

16gb corsair rgb (also rev 1) 3200 mhz

GTX 1060

Optane accelerated boot drive

600W corsair builder psu (bronze certification i believe)

Latest version of both video card drivers and Windows (bios is most likely super outdated)

1440p 144hz monitor and a 1080p vertical monitor

My issue is this:

I recently moved out to a dorm room instead of my old space. About 1 week after the move happened, my CPU usage started to get a bit absurd.

Usually it ran at about 20-40% usage when 1 light to medium game and a chrome tab are open at the same time, CoD cold war would use about 80% of my CPU and run at around 80 frames with discord, youtube and wallpaper engine all running. Memory usage is also around 40-50  under the same conditions

Once I moved CPU usage spiked at around 50-90% under the same conditions. CoD Cold War maxes out the cpu and runs under 60 frames if I don't close youtube, wallpaper engine, etc.
Ram usage also spiked a bit and will go up to 60 or 70% sometimes (which I'm less concerned about)

My CPU is not overclocked, is not overheating (I rearranged the fans around, and the CPU runs at mid 70s to low 80's usually), and I have changed nothing about the system aside from a new 1440p 144hz monitor (I used to run 3 1080p monitors so I doubt a monitor change is the issue).

I've consulted friends and heard that I should try and run my ram at higher speeds, and to turn on XMP. So I tried all the solutions my brain could think of. 
Well, I upped the ram speed slightly in the bios to 2666 instead of the 2000 it was at for some reason. Anything higher than 2666 caused issues so I'm guessing it was a power issue (since I didnt up the voltage) and XMP almost bricked my entire system (again probably due to a lack of voltage). The faster ram speed did nothing to help (that I noticed at least) and while I do know my way around hardware, bios settings and ram and cpu overclocking/undervolting/optimization are a bit out of my wheelhouse.

What would likely be the cause of this?
I know RAM speed or XMP could probably help ease the load off the CPU, or possibly updating the 4+ year old BIOS on the system would help. I also haven't wiped windows, ever, but I've heard sometimes that a wipe tends to help a bit.
Any other technical/BIOS fixes that the wizards on here know about, or is it just time for me to just buy a new system?

5 minutes ago, The_Dude_236 said:

Hey all, I'm a new member because my PC is acting a bit strange.
I built my current rig in late 2017, and I still have it. The parts list is as follows:
i7 7740x (4c 8t 4.3 ghz)

Corsair H60 rev 1 liquid cooler

a cheap-ish asrock motherboard (i'll have the exact model soon enough, currently a bit pre-occupied)

16gb corsair rgb (also rev 1) 3200 mhz

GTX 1060

Optane accelerated boot drive

600W corsair builder psu (bronze certification i believe)

Latest version of both video card drivers and Windows (bios is most likely super outdated)

1440p 144hz monitor and a 1080p vertical monitor

My issue is this:

I recently moved out to a dorm room instead of my old space. About 1 week after the move happened, my CPU usage started to get a bit absurd.

Usually it ran at about 20-40% usage when 1 light to medium game and a chrome tab are open at the same time, CoD cold war would use about 80% of my CPU and run at around 80 frames with discord, youtube and wallpaper engine all running. Memory usage is also around 40-50  under the same conditions

Once I moved CPU usage spiked at around 50-90% under the same conditions. CoD Cold War maxes out the cpu and runs under 60 frames if I don't close youtube, wallpaper engine, etc.
Ram usage also spiked a bit and will go up to 60 or 70% sometimes (which I'm less concerned about)

My CPU is not overclocked, is not overheating (I rearranged the fans around, and the CPU runs at mid 70s to low 80's usually), and I have changed nothing about the system aside from a new 1440p 144hz monitor (I used to run 3 1080p monitors so I doubt a monitor change is the issue).

I've consulted friends and heard that I should try and run my ram at higher speeds, and to turn on XMP. So I tried all the solutions my brain could think of. 
Well, I upped the ram speed slightly in the bios to 2666 instead of the 2000 it was at for some reason. Anything higher than 2666 caused issues so I'm guessing it was a power issue (since I didnt up the voltage) and XMP almost bricked my entire system (again probably due to a lack of voltage). The faster ram speed did nothing to help (that I noticed at least) and while I do know my way around hardware, bios settings and ram and cpu overclocking/undervolting/optimization are a bit out of my wheelhouse.

What would likely be the cause of this?
I know RAM speed or XMP could probably help ease the load off the CPU, or possibly updating the 4+ year old BIOS on the system would help. I also haven't wiped windows, ever, but I've heard sometimes that a wipe tends to help a bit.
Any other technical/BIOS fixes that the wizards on here know about, or is it just time for me to just buy a new system?

The 1440p monitor is more gpu dependent, unless you were running the game on all 3 1080p monitors. It can utilize the gpu more, which in turn will use the cpu more

27 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

The 1440p monitor is more gpu dependent, unless you were running the game on all 3 1080p monitors. It can utilize the gpu more, which in turn will use the cpu more

Yeah, I figured as much. GPU isn't even close to being the bottleneck here funnily enough. Good to know though.