first ever phone need advice!

Hey I wasn't really a friend of smartphones for the past 3 years, but now I need one...

So I got like 200~Euro and I'm looking for a good Phone. (no apple, i guess that's out of my budget anyways)

I don't know anything about graphics card or processors for phones.

Is quad-core much better than duo-core? How much GHz is needed? Any moddable things so it works more flawless? Antivirus needed?

I want to do several stuff like:
-WhatsApp

-Some 3D Games

It should last 1-2years or even more.

Any advice.? :)

NEXUS 5... NEXUS 5!!!... NEXUS 5!!!\

Answers:

Quad is better than duo/dual

Small Ghz preferably.

Probably Root.

Yes.. AVG would be nice

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

If you plan on playing lots of games a quadcore is prefered

Your best choise would be a phone without much bloatware

Anti virus isn't needed but could be handy if you download apps outside the play store.

Looking at your budget I would go for the Motorola moto g or If you have the money get a nexus 5 !

it's fast and cheap

Or the Samsung S4 mini

The nexus and moto g come with stock Android without useless apps and are fast phones if you want to get the most out of your phone i'd suggest rooting it.

I'm not quite sure of the Europe pricing,but quick search tells me that a Lumia 820 is just around 200eur. Seriously it's a solid phone with fluid OS (WP8) and no anti-virus needed.. Another cheaper option would be android phones but I dunno how good they are in that price point.

I'm not quite sure of the Europe pricing,but quick search tells me that a Lumia 820 is just around 200eur. Seriously it's a solid phone with fluid OS (WP8) and no anti-virus needed.. Another cheaper option would be android phones but I dunno how good they are in that price point.

If you want to play any games you should get Android.

lani100, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

If you want to play any games you should get Android.

Nope. If you want to play any games, you should get a PSP/Vita or gameboy/DS. Implying a Windows Phone can't play any games is just ridiculous.

Motorola Moto G or Nexus 5 if you have the money.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

I prefer Android. (I keep lumia in mind but I really prefer some LG or Samsung with androi, due to friends having this for giving me a bit of experience)

Nexus 5 is double of money I have available.

Moto G would be an obvious choice for a budget smartphone. I don't know how well if runs games but if you were to stretch the budget a bit you could get a nexus 5 that do run games.

I'm sure someone here have a Moto G that can tell you more of how the are with games. Good luck.

Why would you listen to me? I'm just some random guy on the internet!

Nope. If you want to play any games, you should get a PSP/Vita or gameboy/DS. Implying a Windows Phone can't play any games is just ridiculous.

There aren't a lot games for Windows

Please don't start arguing about other people, I'm not trying to be mean, I just need advice.

Android would be the best I guess.

Friends told me:

LG P760 Optimus L9

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

But if you want games on your phone, Android is a better choise then Windows Phone just saying.

PassionFruit, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Keep telling that to yourself.

iNikiii, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

Please don't start arguing about other people, I'm not trying to be mean, I just need advice.

Friends told me:

LG P760 Optimus L9

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

Specs for specs, they both aren't that good. I would avoid that S3 mini totally as Samsung's UI and bloatware make it run miserable. I've tried it before. I have no experience with LG UI but i would imagine it being the same too on that phone. And both brand don't really update their old phones to newer version android anymore.

For Android phone, I suggest you stick to stock android like Moto G or at least the last gen Nexus 4. I've heard good things about Moto G from my friends. But I still stand by my earlier suggestion of Lumia 820. Another cheaper option would be the Lumia 720 or Lumia 625. Trust me they are fast enough for everyday use,even for gaming for the next 1-2 years.

For Android phone, I suggest you stick to stock android like Moto G or at least the last gen Nexus 4. I've heard good things about Moto G from my friends. But I still stand by my earlier suggestion of Lumia 820. Another cheaper option would be the Lumia 720 or Lumia 625. Trust me they are fast enough for everyday use,even for gaming for the next 1-2 years.

Will Moto G also be good enough for the next 1-2 years? Does it auto update OS or do I have to manually do it?

I'm really planning to get a Moto G now. :)

Specs for specs, they both aren't that good. I would avoid that S3 mini totally as Samsung's UI and bloatware make it run miserable. I've tried it before. I have no experience with LG UI but i would imagine it being the same too on that phone. And both brand don't really update their old phones to newer version android anymore.

The only games you can find are the more mainstream titles, and not all of them at that. For 3D games, more powerful GPU's and Quad core processors are necessary, I believe the Lumia line use dual core Processors? 

To the OP: I would go for either a last gen Nexus 4 or a Moto G. If you had to choose between both, I'd go with the more powerful Nexus 4. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Will Moto G also be good enough for the next 1-2 years? Does it auto update OS or do I have to manually do it?

I'm really planning to get a Moto G now. :)

Yes, the Moto G will certainly last that long. Stock android tends to last longer before starting to slow down due to lack of bloatware. 

Your phone will let you know when there's an update available, and all you have to do is accept it. You can manually check by going into your settings though. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Alrighty. I think I got my advice, I'm going for a Moto G. :)

Thanks everyone who helped.

TheDigitalRealm, on 09 Apr 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

The only games you can find are the more mainstream titles, and not all of them at that. For 3D games, more powerful GPU's and Quad core processors are necessary, I believe the Lumia line use dual core Processors? 

To the OP: I would go for either a last gen Nexus 4 or a Moto G. If you had to choose between both, I'd go with the more powerful Nexus 4. 

Well OP didn't mention what games he planned on playing so we don't even know whether it is available or not on android or windows phone. Besides, 3D runs great on Lumia phone,even with a dual core and lowly 512mb ram. Hardware specs doesn't really matter for WP8. They run great even with low specs. No trying to argue but I've personally tried several android phones with much better specs than my 620 and they just don't run that smooth imo. But I've suggested the Moto G and Nexus 4 too so that is another good choice.

iNikiii, on 09 Apr 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

Alrighty. I think I got my advice, I'm going for a Moto G. :)

Thanks everyone who helped.

Enjoy your new phone. ;)

Friends told me:

LG P760 Optimus L9

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

I'm not trying to argue or be mean but it is true that Windows Marketplace does not have all the games that Android has. And there are a lot of rip-offs from popular games on Windows.

PassionFruit, on 09 Apr 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

I'm not trying to argue or be mean but it is true that Windows Marketplace does not have all the games that Android has. And there are a lot of rip-offs from popular games on Windows.

I agree Windows Marketplace does not have ALL of the android games, but doesn't mean there aren't a lot of it. As for the rip-offs, the same can be said about android games 'based' on ios games. It's just a phone game ffs. And there's not a lot to differentiate between all them. Either they are fun to play or they don't. That's my 2cent

Enjoy your new phone I would have suggested the moto g too

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I agree Windows Marketplace does not have ALL of the android games, but doesn't mean there aren't a lot of it. As for the rip-offs, the same can be said about android games 'based' on ios games. It's just a phone game ffs. And there's not a lot to differentiate between all them. Either they are fun to play or they don't. That's my 2cent

Yeah I agree with that and I know it is just a phone. The OP just wanted to play games so I think that the Android device such as the Moto G would be better in that. I have a Windows phone myself and it has been very reliable until the screen broke on it.