Intermittent squeaky noise

matt344

Computer recently started making this high pitched squeaky noise, like a bird chirp or a whistle, it is quiet and very inconsistent and only happens when idle. It’s coming from the cpu area and I know it is not the fan because I stopped the fan while it was happening and it still kept squeaking. It’s also not coming from the GPU because I also stopped those fans while it was squeaking and it also didn’t stop. Computer still runs perfectly normal, no performance issues or heating issues. It’s just very annoying lol. Any ideas?

CPU: i7-10700k

GPU: Nvidia 2070 super

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3000mhz

Motherboard: MEG Z490I UNIFY

doesn't sound like it but i could be coil whine

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Could be one of these two things:

- Motherboard coil whine

- CPU cooler or exhaust fan dieing

A simple way to find out which of these it is is touching the middle of the fans until it stops. If you don't hear the noise it's one of the fans, otherwise it's coil whine.

Edit: just noticed you already stopped the fans. That means it's coil whine, which can only be fixed by replacing the part that's causing it (in this case probably the motherboard). It's not very loud, so maybe once you put on the side panel you don't really hear it. I would only worry about it if it's really annoying, as it's completely harmless. My board makes some weird buzzes too when idle and I got used to them

Edited by Pixelfie

On 9/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, Pixelfie said:

Could be one of these two things:

- Motherboard coil whine

- CPU cooler or exhaust fan dieing

A simple way to find out which of these it is is touching the middle of the fans until it stops. If you don't hear the noise it's one of the fans, otherwise it's coil whine.

Edit: just noticed you already stopped the fans. That means it's coil whine, which can only be fixed by replacing the part that's causing it (in this case probably the motherboard). It's not very loud, so maybe once you put on the side panel you don't really hear it. I would only worry about it if it's really annoying, as it's completely harmless. My board makes some weird buzzes too when idle and I got used to them

You should hear my i7 870 when i'm downloading off of steam in my itx board 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!