Cooling for 5900x

amthlwt

Budget (including currency): Flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: PC gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Corsair Vengeance PRO 3600MHz 32GB

GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

1,000 Watts - Corsair RMx

ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) ATX

2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

4K 60 Hz monitor

Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB High Air-Flow ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case with 6 140mm fans

I am looking to buy this PC and am trying to customize it:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Pro-Gamer-FTW-Ultra-3000

I want to get the 5900x. I know someone who recently got a similar build from cyberpowerpc and had a cooler master air cooler, and had to return the PC.

I want to make sure I get the cooling right. I can go for air or liquid cooling. I don't have prior experience with liquid cooling, but if that's what the 5900x needs

then I will get it.

Which cooling option from the list in the link is recommended ?

Thanks

If you must get the ones they offer then go with a 240 or 280 mm watercooler. My recommendation would be the corsair or EVGA.

If you are comfortable with doing stuff yourself, I would get the cheapest heatsink they offer and then buy your own. all the ones they offer kind of suck.

If you want air cooling go with a Noctua NH-D15S or better OR a something similar like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4.

For water cooling get at least a 240mm rad, but 280 or 360 being the best for quieter operation. However a 240 will cool it just fine, it will just run louder under load.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

The 5900X doesn't really need water cooling, but their air cooling options are very limited. Something like an NH-U12S should be able to take care of the 5900X, but their best cooler is a Hyper 212, which would only barely be able to handle that CPU. 

Unless you want to swap the cooler out yourself, you're gonna have to go water cooling. I would recommend at least a 240mm AIO, with a 360 being a decent idea. Everything but the custom loops will perform within about 2C of each other, so it's honestly just pick the one you think looks the best. The Cooler Master 360mm one would be my pick.

4 hours ago, amthlwt said:

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

4K 60 Hz monitor

Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB High Air-Flow ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case with 6 140mm fans

I want to get the 5900x. I know someone who recently got a similar build from cyberpowerpc and had a cooler master air cooler, and had to return the PC.

I want to make sure I get the cooling right. I can go for air or liquid cooling. I don't have prior experience with liquid cooling, but if that's what the 5900x needs

then I will get it.

Thanks

If you can fit the cooler, the Noctua NH-d15 is highly, highly recommended. The 5900x should idle around 40c and (stock) peek at 70c or 75c. Definitely  the NH-D15 though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y87YHRH?pf_rd_r=H71Y390BCNH422E6KTYB&pf_rd_p=8fe9b1d0-f378-4356-8bb8-cada7525eadd&pd_rd_

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

27 minutes ago, amthlwt said:

4K 60 Hz monitor

then I will get it.

Thanks

I would recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

@birdflyer@King of Memes@RONOTHAN##

Based on online search, liquid coolers marked AIO appear to not need any maintenance. Based on the responses above, what about the following as the selection:

Phanteks Glacier One 280MP D-RGB 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (All Venom OC Certified)

Two follow-up questions I had:

1) Based on the config I have, will 850W PSU be enough or should I invest in 1000W ?

2) Will the case fan selection (3 X 140 mm intake and 3 x140mm exhaust) be enough for this PC based on the selected parts ?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, amthlwt said:

Phanteks Glacier One 280MP D-RGB 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (All Venom OC Certified)

Should be fine. It's a pretty decent pick.

1) Based on the config I have, will 850W PSU be enough or should I invest in 1000W ?

It should run just fine on an 850w. I'd only get a 1000w if you want to upgrade to the 4090 with its rumored 400w+ power draw.

2) Will the case fan selection (3 X 140 mm intake and 3 x140mm exhaust) be enough for this PC based on the selected parts ?

More than. 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:57 PM, amthlwt said:

@birdflyer@King of Memes@RONOTHAN##

Based on online search, liquid coolers marked AIO appear to not need any maintenance. Based on the responses above, what about the following as the selection:

Two follow-up questions I had:

Thanks.

850w will be more than enough, you could even get away with 750w

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now