Wraith Stealth possible damage

Hey everyone,

I just got a new 5600X last week and booting for the first time I opted to use the stock cooler instead of my aftermarket one to see if everything works. The problem is, as you all probably know, is that the thermal paste on the stock cooler is like glue. I almost had a heart attack when I couldn't remove it to install the other cooler. Pulled with some force it didn't work so I twisted it until it came loose (CPU did not get yeeted out of the socket thank goodness), cleaned the CPU, installed the main cooler and went on my day.

Now I look back and ask myself, what if I damaged some pins? I didn't check the CPU after removing the Wraith Stealth I just winged it. This has been eating at me so I tried multiple stress test tools, OCCT (SSE, AVX, AVX2 with all options), AIDA64, Prime95, Techpowerup Memtest64...etc none of which had any problem, it all ran fine. Also never crashed once in windows or had any issues since then, do I assume with high probability that I didn't damage the CPU and/or the socket? in what ways, other than obvious ones like blue screens and crashes, do bent/damaged pins manifest themselves?

Thanks for your inputs.

Specs:
5600X
16GB 8x2 Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz CL16
MSI B550-A PRO

You cant damage the cpu by pulling up on it.

YOu need to pull the cpu out, and then drop it to do damage. 

Unless you actually glued the cpu to the cooler and then subsequently used the force of a god to rip off the ihs

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, gwynbleidd97 said:

Hey everyone,

I just got a new 5600X last week and booting for the first time I opted to use the stock cooler instead of my aftermarket one to see if everything works. The problem is, as you all probably know, is that the thermal paste on the stock cooler is like glue. I almost had a heart attack when I couldn't remove it to install the other cooler. Pulled with some force it didn't work so I twisted it until it came loose (CPU did not get yeeted out of the socket thank goodness), cleaned the CPU, installed the main cooler and went on my day.

Now I look back and ask myself, what if I damaged some pins? I didn't check the CPU after removing the Wraith Stealth I just winged it. This has been eating at me so I tried multiple stress test tools, OCCT (SSE, AVX, AVX2 with all options), AIDA64, Prime95, Techpowerup Memtest64...etc none of which had any problem, it all ran fine. Also never crashed once in windows or had any issues since then, do I assume with high probability that I didn't damage the CPU and/or the socket? in what ways, other than obvious ones like blue screens and crashes, do bent/damaged pins manifest themselves?

Thanks for your inputs.

Specs:
5600X
MSI B550-A PRO

I’ve seen many times ppl rip the cpu out of the socket with the cooler and cpu was still working, if you don’t have any problems atm that means you good and didn’t done any damage

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

4 minutes ago, CallumOKane said:

If you have ran multiple stress tests, and have not experienced any issues, no, you have not broken any pins.

@CallumOKane
Yes but what if a pin is bent that is responsible for a portion of the connection to the chipset so I won't be able to use let's say 2 SATA ports or something? Am I being too paranoid or is that a possibility?

You cant damage the cpu by pulling up on it.

YOu need to pull the cpu out, and then drop it to do damage.

@HelpfulTechWizard
I've seen posts of people ripping the CPU out of the socket with the cooler and leaving half the pins in there. My fear is that what if my initial pull on the CPU severed the connection of some pins and now they're loose inside.

I’ve seen many times ppl rip the cpu out of the socket with the cooler and cpu was still working, if you don’t have any problems atm that means you good and didn’t done any damage

@Whiro
Did folks at AMD test this cooler at all? like hello? the 5600X has been out for almost a year, and the same issue was present on the 3000 series, what's up with that? Googling this, there are so many people who ruined their expensive CPU because of this stupid thermal paste.

1 minute ago, gwynbleidd97 said:

@CallumOKane
Yes but what if a pin is bent that is responsible for a portion of the connection to the chipset so I won't be able to use let's say 2 SATA ports or something? Am I being too paranoid or is that a possibility?

@HelpfulTechWizard
I've seen posts of people ripping the CPU out of the socket with the cooler and leaving half the pins in there. My fear is that what if my initial pull on the CPU severed the connection of some pins and now they're loose inside.

@Whiro
Did folks at AMD test this cooler at all? like hello? the 5600X has been out for almost a year, and the same issue was present on the 3000 series, what's up with that? Googling this, there are so many people who ruined their expensive CPU because of this stupid thermal paste.

Take the cpu out, properly, anc check. Ive never see someone rip the cpus out of the socket and leave the pins, usuall its the cpu falling off the coller and the fall breaks it.

really, its the socket, the socket only grabs the pins, so theres not much holding force, whereas theres a peice of metal covering the CPU on a intel LGA socket

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I have twice actually ripped old Intel Pentium 4 CPUs out of the socket because of dried thermal paste on the bottom of the cooler. On both occasions, I pulled the CPU off the bottom of the cooler, saw that no pins were damaged, put it back in the socket, and it proceeded to work fine for years afterwards. It's not a pleasant experience, but hardly something to lose sleep over. The only danger is if the CPU falls off the cooler, which is equivalent to the risk of dropping a CPU in any other circumstance.

If the system has no issues after you threw test after test at it, I don't see why you would assume you did any damage. Unless you physically twisted the CPU in the socket when twisting the cooler to pull it off (which is highly unlikely), then you're fine.

6 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Take the cpu out, properly, anc check. Ive never see someone rip the cpus out of the socket and leave the pins, usuall its the cpu falling off the coller and the fall breaks it.

really, its the socket, the socket only grabs the pins, so theres not much holding force, whereas theres a peice of metal covering the CPU on a intel LGA socket

I'm curious why you have not just.. checked?

@HelpfulTechWizard

@CallumOKane

Then I'd risk the same thing happening again with the thermal paste still new that's why I'd rather test it out with software instead. Though I should've checked at the moment before putting the aftermarket cooler on.
There was a reddit post that I couldn't find again of someone holding a cooler with a ryzen CPU stuck to it with half of its pins, the rest of which are on the socket.

I have twice actually ripped old Intel Pentium 4 CPUs out of the socket because of dried thermal paste on the bottom of the cooler.

@YoungBlade

Intel's design is much smarter I gotta say. Not only do you not risk bending or ripping the pins from the CPU since they are on the socket, the socket itself locks the CPU in place using tabs placed on the IHS and since the CPU is almost always more expensive than the board, I'd rather have the latter damaged than the former in a case like this.

If the system has no issues after you threw test after test at it, I don't see why you would assume you did any damage. Unless you physically twisted the CPU in the socket when twisting the cooler to pull it off (which is highly unlikely), then you're fine.

The CPU functionality may not have been affected if we assume something went wrong that day, but I think in order to drive my paranoia away I have to test every single port on the motherboard to see if everything still works.
Conclusion: AMD should fix this crap in A: providing actual thermal paste and not glue and B: copying Intel and designing a socket like the LGA 1200.

@gwynbleidd97

Pentium 4 CPUs were PGA, with the pins on the CPU.

Also, taking the pins off the CPU isn't Intel only. Threadripper and Epyc are already LGA, and future AMD desktop motherboards will also have the pins on the socket starting with AM5.

20 hours ago, gwynbleidd97 said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your inputs.

Specs:
5600X
MSI B550-A PRO

it definitely sounds terminal. The CPU probably has minutes to live. say your prayers.