is it safe?

TechSloth

Hi all,

Quick one, Is the insider program safe? or does it harves all kinds of telemetry and metrics from your system? or prevent disabling of cortana and teh gathering systems?

thanks

Answer to both is yes. You are given free beta version of OS for testing purposes. Everything you do is valuable data for developing.

You are asking imo two questions. One is, will OS get messed up more frequently than retail version would. Answer  to it is also yes. You are planning to get on with beta software. Just that should already tell that there will be more issues than with retail version. Take issues we see with any bigger Win10 update and multiply that with 10.

Second is, if Microsoft is monitoring your actions. To which answer is obvious yes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you just want to try it out/test drive it and not participate in feedback, etc. Consider installing Windows 11 in a VM like Virtualbox. I just did this yesterday. I chose Windows 10 x64 as the OS type in Vbox, created a fixed 50GB virtual VDI drive and allocated 4GB of RAM to the Windows11 guest OS (the host system has 32GB).

I installed Windows 11 Pro build 22000.

When it asks for activation key, just click "I do not have one".

With no networking set up, you can click a (very small link) on the account setup and choose "local account" to avoid having to use/create a Windows Live/Microsoft account.

I didn't want to compromise my working system and don't currently have a spare machine that is not already dedicated to something else.

So far, I don't like Windows 11. Come 2024 when support for Windows 10 ends, I think I will keep a Windows 10 box for light/casual gaming and move 100% over to Linux for everything else.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit