Corning Optical Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.2 gen2 to connect a pc 15-20m away?

presss

** Edit** just realized Idk how any of that would work if my TB3 output is on the mobo? Pcie tb card or?

Hey,

I have a complicated issue on my hands, I'll try to lay down the situation as quickly as possible:

Ultimate Goal: use the high-end 3080ti powered PC as BOTH an HDMI 2.1 source for my LG C1 OLED @4k/120hz AND my 2 work monitors which are on the other side of the flat ~20 meters away.

Original Plan: Run a really long active optic HDMI cable along the way
-> doable but the Ruipro 8K cable that does it is really thick => won't go on walls or under doors/carpets =>yikes.

Plan B: Move the PC close to the TV in the living room and run a single Thunderbolt3 or USB 3.2 gen2 cable with a docking station on the other side for both monitors/ mouse, keyboard, ethernet. (like what Linus does in this video) -> Linus
-> many problems

-Display 1 is 1440p @165hz => ~16.3 Gbps bandwith | Display 2 is 1440p @60hz => ~ 5.63 Gbps bandwith for total of ~ 22 Gbps. Combined with ethernet and usb let's say around 25 Gbps total.

-PC motherboard is AMD X570=>no Thunderbolt support unless I change the mobo to one of the 2/3 Thunderbolt certified AM4 motherboards.

Questions:

- Would a full-fledged Thunderbolt docking station handle 2 monitors one at qhd @165hz and another qhd @60 hz. They all state they can handle 2x 4K monitors at 60hz but just wondering if the qhd 165hz option will be available at all.

- If I drop the second 60hz monitor therefore dropping the bandwidth to under 20Gbps could I not use a USB 3.2 Gen2 cable and docking station. Would that display the single monitor at QHD 165hz?

- Are there any Thunderbolt PCI-e expansion cards that will work on my X570 motherboard?

Grateful to anyone who shed some light here!

i9 12900K | 3080Ti FE | 32GB T-Force 8-pack binned edition @3600 CL14

50 minutes ago, pressslav said:

Heya,

I have a complicated issue on my hands, I'll try to lay down the situation as quickly as possible:

Ultimate Goal: use the high-end 3080ti powered PC as BOTH an HDMI 2.1 source for my LG C1 OLED @4k/120hz AND my 2 work monitors which are on the other side of the flat ~20 meters away.

Original Plan: Run a really long active optic HDMI cable along the way
-> doable but the Ruipro 8K cable that does it is really thick => won't go on walls or under doors/carpets =>yikes.

Plan B: Move the PC close to the TV in the living room and run a single Thunderbolt3 or USB 3.2 gen2 cable with a docking station on the other side for both monitors/ mouse, keyboard, ethernet. (like what Linus does in this video) -> Linus
-> many problems

-Display 1 is 1440p @165hz => ~16.3 Gbps bandwith | Display 2 is 1440p @60hz => ~ 5.63 Gbps bandwith for total of ~ 22 Gbps. Combined with ethernet and usb let's say around 25 Gbps total.

-PC motherboard is AMD X570=>no Thunderbolt support unless I change the mobo to one of the 2/3 Thunderbolt certified AM4 motherboards.

Questions:

- Would a full-fledged Thunderbolt docking station handle 2 monitors one at qhd @165hz and another qhd @60 hz. They all state they can handle 2x 4K monitors at 60hz but just wondering if the qhd 165hz option will be available at all.

- If I drop the second 60hz monitor therefore dropping the bandwidth to under 20Gbps could I not use a USB 3.2 Gen2 cable and docking station. Would that display the single monitor at QHD 165hz?

- Are there any Thunderbolt PCI-e expansion cards that will work on my X570 motherboard?

Grateful to anyone who shed some light here!

Only some x570 boards will even take a thunderbolt card and those cards generally need to be designed for that particular board so without knowing exactly what board you are talking about it not possible to answer.  It’s unlikely though as the ones that will take such a card are often higher end.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Only some x570 boards will even take a thunderbolt card and those cards generally need to be designed for that particular board so without knowing exactly what board you are talking about it not possible to answer.  It’s unlikely though as the ones that will take such a card are often higher end.

Thank you for your reply. My current mobo is an X570 E-Gaming. There's something that I still don't get though -> if the tb3 cards that you mentioned do actually work (I change everything to accomodate) will they pass on the video signal of the 3080ti through the PCi-E and then out from the card to the docking station in the other room? I feel like this can't work but I have no idea, I'm very confused at this point. Also, if an AMD board has TB3 Built in does that mean it only transfers the video signal from the onboard gpu or does it also transfer the signal from the 3080ti?

i9 12900K | 3080Ti FE | 32GB T-Force 8-pack binned edition @3600 CL14

5 hours ago, pressslav said:

Thank you for your reply. My current mobo is an X570 E-Gaming. There's something that I still don't get though -> if the tb3 cards that you mentioned do actually work (I change everything to accomodate) will they pass on the video signal of the 3080ti through the PCi-E and then out from the card to the docking station in the other room? I feel like this can't work but I have no idea, I'm very confused at this point. Also, if an AMD board has TB3 Built in does that mean it only transfers the video signal from the onboard gpu or does it also transfer the signal from the 3080ti?

I don’t know but it seems to me to be probable that it would.  The issue it seems is that thunderbolt doesn’t work like other systems and needs integration directly to the CPU.  I’m afraid I don’t have any specific information.  That is the sort of price range where such starts to become available, but I can’t find any reference to that board being able to do it so I don’t know. Thunderbolt cards for x570 that work with a given motherboard tend to be released by that same manufacturer and are designed in conjunction, so if there is an Asus or ROG thunderbolt expansion card, one might want to look for details there.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.