Pc Build Plan

Budget (including currency): 8,000 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: initially gaming but being built in anticipation of workflow due to engineering degree

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

never actually owned a pc before, building it myself, aware that market means I’ll either over spend on them or have to wait awhile for parts. 

I will be updating to 3 Monitors over time (no particular need just a convenience and childish want factor), I don’t have any peripherals yet either but I’m open to suggestions if you have them

this is my pc part picker build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gjktMv

Adding some (dumb but cool) form factors like strimer power cable 

I’m most worried about all of these pieces working together, compatibility, and if I’m maybe missing pieces I haven’t learned about in my (admittedly limited) research. May add things like mic and capture card for streaming at some point if the bug hits so keep that in mind as well please. 

Any help appreciated as I’m mostly just a nervous newbie 

Edited by TheThoughtless
Forgotten details

spacer.png

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

6 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

spacer.png

No, but assuming it were do you have any advice on something I missed or maybe haven’t thought of either overall or minor details wise? 

10 minutes ago, TheThoughtless said:

never actually owned a pc before, building it myself, aware that market means I’ll either over spend on them or have to wait awhile for parts. 

And with that i highly recommend you to wait till price normalize, that alone will save you 1k on GPU alone. Also, you havent stated what you gonna use the PC for.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

And with that i highly recommend you to wait till price normalize, that alone will save you 1k on GPU alone. Also, you havent stated what you gonna use the PC for.

I was under the impression that this bubble had been going on for over a year no? And while it will pop at some point I’d rather not wait for longer than 6 months to start this build. 

As for what I’m going to do with this I’d definitely like High end gaming with various games such as apex, Ow, even a cod with almost zero issues for at least the first 4ish years after I get it;  the possibility of doing streaming if that becomes something I decide to pursue.

For my degree it would likely be simulations and numbers crunching (which I’ve heard can be a problem) but I’m frankly not sure of the specifics on as I’ve only started it recently (hence the vagueness) as I can’t say for certain what I’ll need I’d like to just over prepare as opposed to needing to deal with buying new parts and upgrading constantly.

5 hours ago, TheThoughtless said:

No, but assuming it were do you have any advice on something I missed or maybe haven’t thought of either overall or minor details wise? 

Go for at least a dual monitor setup now, especially with this kind of big budget. You can turn your secondary monitor whichever way you want, and make that your chat feed monitor and etc. You can also get the 3090 from the zotac store, which I linked to. If it doesn't show up by the time you get there, just be patient. It does tend to go in and out of stock, but has been more in stock lately. Definitely recommend 32GB RAM kit, instead of 64GB. I doubt you'll use 64GB, and even if you do, it most likely won't be until you start your engineering work later on. I can't imagine a computer like that using over 32GB of RAM though.

The commander pro is for the case fans. The fans will come included with lighting node pro's, but you may want to double check that. Those lighting node pro's will connect to the two commander pro's.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6j4rZZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($559.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($449.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB GAMING AMP Core Holo Video Card  ($0.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Triptych ATX Mid Tower Case  ($249.99 @ Corsair)
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($244.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE 47.7 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE 68.1 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack  ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($349.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($349.00 @ Amazon)
Custom: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($74.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 AMP Extreme Holo ($2599.99)
$6080.82

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

10 hours ago, TheThoughtless said:

I was under the impression that this bubble had been going on for over a year no? And while it will pop at some point I’d rather not wait for longer than 6 months to start this build. 

As for what I’m going to do with this I’d definitely like High end gaming with various games such as apex, Ow, even a cod with almost zero issues for at least the first 4ish years after I get it;  the possibility of doing streaming if that becomes something I decide to pursue.

For my degree it would likely be simulations and numbers crunching (which I’ve heard can be a problem) but I’m frankly not sure of the specifics on as I’ve only started it recently (hence the vagueness) as I can’t say for certain what I’ll need I’d like to just over prepare as opposed to needing to deal with buying new parts and upgrading constantly.

If you use a GPU tracker discord like Fixitfixitfixit's (https://discord.com/invite/gpu) you should be able to snag a 3090 at a more reasonable price. I don't have the money for a 3090 but if you try for the zotac queue or the AMD queue (6900 XT) you could probably get one for a better price than $3200.

If you're dropping $8,000 on a computer, watercooling is probably a better option whether it be an AIO or custom. Your case is great if you wanted to take it somewhere to get custom water cooling due to its large amount of space.

Also watch out because the case comes with three 120 mm fans and you already have 9 listed on your list.

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

Lmfao

You are a first time builder, that mobo and ram are for ocers only, otherwise you are horrendously overprinding on sht that you cant even use

Bruh at this budget might aswell just get threadripper or something

Otheriwse pretty generic overpriced build with most components being wayyy overkill and have pretty much no diff compared to cheaper alternatives, overpriced extreme overclocking mobo, overpriced overclocking rams, overpriced and uneccesary ssd, etc.

A b550 will work just fine tbh, gen4 ssds are completely useless at this point in time unless you do server like workloads that involve transferring massive files regularly, i suggest going for a b550/x570 tomahawk

Speaking on ssds, if you really want gen4 for futureproofing reasons get a sabrent rocket 4.0, pretty cheap pcie gen4 drive and still pretty good speeds (~5500mb/s), 2tb version is around 300$

Overclocking rams are of no importance to you as a first time builder isnt stupid enough to try overclocking and overclocking is pretty useless nowadays, just get some crucial ballistix 3600mhz cl16 rams, they even have an rgb version

Corsair cases and fans are overpriced dogsht tbh, arctic bionix fans will blow any pathetic corsair fans out of the water, only issue being the 140mm version doesnt have an rgb variant, and noctua also exists and theyre fans will also blow corsair fans out of the water, though they have no rgb fans at all, for a case reccomendation i suggest a p400a, though if you have a need for a bigger case go for a p500a, good value mesh rgb cases

Horrible value psu, 80+ titanium is completely useless for most ppl unless you are going for a fully passive build or something, just get a 1200w platinum psu instead if you want to futureproof, 1000w platinum psus also exist

Not really sure on the monitor, im not a monitor guy

¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Unless you're a really heavy multitasker (running a bunch of programs at the same time), I really don't think you would be able to utilize the 5950X. Not many programs can actually use 16 cores effectively (Cyberpunk being an exception).

I would recommend going "down" to a 3080TI. Similar idea to the 5950X, most people won't be able to utilize 24GB of VRAM in it's useful life. Exceptions are there of course, mainly heavy modders.

Gen. 4 drives currently don't have an advantage over gen 3. This of course will change as direct storage from Windows starts become properly implemented.

I prefer 27" monitors for 1440p resolution, but that's more personal taste. I would recommend going to a computer store to check out the differences and see what fits your personal taste.

I recommend some thing like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($559.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 280 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($170.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($389.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card  ($1848.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA G5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($225.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 27.0" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor  ($299.55 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 27.0" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor  ($299.55 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4593.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-15 12:12 EDT-0400

Monitor I recommended in build is the only 1440p I have used. I don't have any problems with it, but check reviews of others monitors before making a purchase. Feel free to swap the case to one you like. As long as it has a mesh front, it should keep your components cool.

Overall, I think this build should last most people 4+ years. Maybe you might have to do a GPU swap in the future, but that really depends on what games you plan to play.