Things to do with a server

JuliusW

Hey, so I have a old server that has 12c/24t and a extra slot for another, and im planning to add a 5600xt for video out and video tasks (Like plex).
So what should I use this with, what should I try out.
Things I am planning to add is pi-hole, jellyfin, and openmediavault. what else should I do? I am curious.
Thank you.

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

Oh sorry, didnt see that tab, thank you

Im guessing its either a dual x58 xeon or a 12 core sandy/ivy cpu

In that case they have some pretty crappy single core so it might have some trouble with singlethread tasks like an mc server, i guess you could run a game server (though it may not run optimally but itll run), pi hole, and maybe look into homelabbing or home automation or some sht like that

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im guessing its either a dual x58 xeon or a 12 core sandy/ivy cpu

In that case they have some pretty crappy single core so it might have some trouble with singlethread tasks like an mc server, i guess you could run a game server (though it may not run optimally but itll run), pi hole, and maybe look into homelabbing or home automation or some sht like that

what things would I do with homelabbing?

1 minute ago, JuliusW said:

All ive heard that homelabbing is basically where you can experiment with your computer, and maybe something related to home automation aswell

40 minutes ago, JuliusW said:

Run a webserver with a DB and get local web services running. For example I self host a password manager, PXE server and a game server control panel from my homelab. With Docker you can spin up almost anything in minutes. You can run a VM server with VNC so you can access the VMs from any PC on your network. SMB/SAMBA/NFS filesharing, iSCSI, Plex, BitTorrent client, usenet client.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 hours ago, JuliusW said:

Hey, so I have a old server that has 12c/24t and a extra slot for another, and im planning to add a 5600xt for video out and video tasks (Like plex).
So what should I use this with, what should I try out.
Things I am planning to add is pi-hole, jellyfin, and openmediavault. what else should I do? I am curious.
Thank you.

So first off, Learn to build for extensibility. That means VM's and containers (purely for ease of use).

Proxmox is a great baremetal OS, then step up and run a dedicated VM for openmediavault/truNAS and another dedicated VM for the containers (I prefer MicroOS, but ubuntu is quicker to setup)

From there just think about what you want to do next.

I myself run literally everything but Youtube self hosted.

I run email (mail in a box), file cloud (nextcloud), media server (jellyfin), my own website (nginx) my own backup solutions (On site and Off Site), Pi-Hole, Home Automation (Home Assistant paired with Mycroft). I can access my whole setup too via Dynamic DNS.

Go crazy like I did and want to keep track of everything? Look into dashboards (Heimdall) and log managers (Gray Log). 

That said this is a rabbit hole, you either take the red pill, or the blue pill. Your chocie.

1 hour ago, 10leej said:

So first off, Learn to build for extensibility. That means VM's and containers (purely for ease of use).

Proxmox is a great baremetal OS, then step up and run a dedicated VM for openmediavault/truNAS and another dedicated VM for the containers (I prefer MicroOS, but ubuntu is quicker to setup)

From there just think about what you want to do next.

I myself run literally everything but Youtube self hosted.

I run email (mail in a box), file cloud (nextcloud), media server (jellyfin), my own website (nginx) my own backup solutions (On site and Off Site), Pi-Hole, Home Automation (Home Assistant paired with Mycroft). I can access my whole setup too via Dynamic DNS.

Go crazy like I did and want to keep track of everything? Look into dashboards (Heimdall) and log managers (Gray Log). 

That said this is a rabbit hole, you either take the red pill, or the blue pill. Your chocie.

Thank you for the ideas, I will look into all of them. They all sound interesting.