4pin + 8pin 12v CPU ATX sockets on Motherboard x399 AORUS Gaming 7 motherboard.

gurubuzz

Hi Nerds,

I have a Threadripper 2950x and a Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7 motherboard.

The motherboard has both 4 pin and 8 pin sockets to power the CPU.

Do I need to connect both? Some people say you only need to plug in the 8 pin...

The 2950x is 180w but if the system wants to draw more, if I ever want to overclock, I don't want to starve it of amperage.

If I do need both, in my case I have two descrete 8 pin cables from my Seasonic 1050w platinum modular.

For the 4 pin socket can I just plug in one half of the 8 pin cable or should I mod it by cutting the socket in half and double up the wires on the 4 pins that are left in other words should all 8 wires go to the 4 pin plug. ....????

Please don't suggest to just buy a 4 pin cable, because it's rare to find them for sale individually and the postal system here has nearly collapsed due to Lockdowns and Quarantines, and my local computer shop are just retail dummies.

Hope everyone is well and don't get sucked in by misinformation videos on what's happening in the world today.

image.png.ba4d4eb627909aac2301e519afa29399.png

I lost my original 8/4 pin so I luckily found an 8 pin online and it finally came today, so I guess I can just get a razor blade and cut the plug in half...?

What do you think?

3 hours ago, gurubuzz said:

I luckily found an 8 pin online

That's a original Seasonic cable that's compatibel with your PSU?

You can't use cables from other power supplies, or generic cables. They must be compatible with Seasonic cables. 

Cablemod will sell you individual cables made to be compatible with specific series or with power supplies from a specific manufacturer 

This being said, you don't need the extra 4 pin cable. The single 8 pin cable and the connector on the motherboard is good for around 300 watts of power. 

Adding the extra 4 pin will help and will keep the  wires a bit cooler, and it's important if you go nuts overclocking it

You will only hit such values when you abuse the CPU with benchmarks and AVX instructions and if you have a very good water cooler. 

By default, the motherboard will be configure to keep the CPU under 180 watts. 

You can see it in Tom's Hardware review, the 2950 got up to 80 watts in games, and went over 180 only when limits were removed and with power hungry AVX instructions : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-2990wx-2950x,5725-13.html

image.png.39c1be30aeca676792f0f139c0224cd6.png

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can't use cables from other power supplies, or generic cables. They must be compatible with Seasonic cables. 

Cablemod will sell you individual cables made to be compatible with specific series or with power supplies from a specific manufacturer 

This being said, you don't need the extra 4 pin cable. The single 8 pin cable and the connector on the motherboard is good for around 300 watts of power. 

Adding the extra 4 pin will help and will keep the  wires a bit cooler, and it's important if you go nuts overclocking it

You will only hit such values when you abuse the CPU with benchmarks and AVX instructions and if you have a very good water cooler. 

By default, the motherboard will be configure to keep the CPU under 180 watts. 

You can see it in Tom's Hardware review, the 2950 got up to 80 watts in games, and went over 180 only when limits were removed and with power hungry AVX instructions : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-2990wx-2950x,5725-13.html

Hey Marius, thanks for your great reply. I'm looking forward to reading the article.

Just to calm my ego I must let you know that I dd get an original Seasonic cable and just to make sure I will get out my multi-meter and make 100% sure the 12v and earths are on the correct pins.

Thanks again