New setup, need speaker advice

Chris Ferrara

I just got a new PC and monitor. I am looking at a decent external speaker or soundbar. Will there be a noticeable difference in using the speaker plugged into the monitor directly vs pc? I want to also use my consoles on the monitor which is why I’m leaning into the monitor way, or am I missing an easy solution. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Chris Ferrara said:

I just got a new PC and monitor. I am looking at a decent external speaker or soundbar. Will there be a noticeable difference in using the speaker plugged into the monitor directly vs pc? I want to also use my consoles on the monitor which is why I’m leaning into the monitor way, or am I missing an easy solution. Thanks!

Does the monitor have some kind of digital audio out? If not you are using it's internal dac which probably cost $2. 

If not and you want to accomplish the same thing get an HDMI audio extractor. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/LinkS-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Chromecast/dp/B00XJITK7E/

Then get a DAC and speaker amp to power the speakers, or just get active speakers with a digital in. 

11 hours ago, geo3 said:

Does the monitor have some kind of digital audio out? If not you are using it's internal dac which probably cost $2. 

If not and you want to accomplish the same thing get an HDMI audio extractor. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/LinkS-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Chromecast/dp/B00XJITK7E/

Then get a DAC and speaker amp to power the speakers, or just get active speakers with a digital in. 

So it has a 3.5 headphone port that’s all I know

3.5 is an analog out, meaning you are using the monitors internal DAC which is almost guaranteed to be terrible. Get the audio extractor and a system that has a good dac/amp incorporated.  

You could go full discreet, separate dac amp and speakers or full integrated, an active speaker with digital in. Swan M200 MK2 are a good option. 

What's you budget?

Also don't get a sound bar. 

Realistically would like to stay under $100. Audio isn’t a huge priority.