Single core performance beast

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor I'm assuming Altium could use the extra cores, otherwise a 5800X or 5600X works too.
CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions Phantom CPU Cooler  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 420mm AIO is overkill unless you're overclocking it.
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) your own preference.
Total: $401.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-06 12:23 EDT-0400

Budget (including currency): $1200 USD on top of what I already own

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NL5 Circuit simulation (This program is single core only!!!), Altium Designer, code compilation, gaming at 1440

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Parts I already have:

Graphics: 2080 TI Founders edition

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB

Monitor: LG 32QN600-B 32-Inch QHD (2560 x 1440)

I am trying to make a productivity machine which can also keep up with any game at around 1440 60 Hz. The main program I need compute power for is called NL5, it is a circuit simulation software which is much faster than any of the other options, but unfortunately it is single core only. I had heard that the Ryzen 5900x is very good single core while also being good all around, so I was thinking this for the build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420

Motherboard: I have no idea

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX

Storage: Samsung 870 QVO

Thank you very much for any help you can offer! I have only ever had a prebuilt before so I'm excited to build my onw for the first time. Please let me know if I am coming at this wrong, for instance if I should spend less on the cooler and more on the CPU, ect.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor I'm assuming Altium could use the extra cores, otherwise a 5800X or 5600X works too.
CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions Phantom CPU Cooler  ($36.99 @ Amazon) 420mm AIO is overkill unless you're overclocking it.
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg) your own preference.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yes, That is good CPU, Get it.

Here is a cooler if u are not buying AIO for aesthetics

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/84MTwP/noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack-8252-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-d15-chromaxblack

You'll need some fans for case too, Buy some noctua

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cFwqqs/noctua-nf-f12-pwm-chromaxblackswap-550-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-f12-pwm-chromaxblackswap

It's also best to get NVMe at least 500GB.

HP EX920 is good. 

150-200$ 550-will be enough, Don't spend anymore than that.

4 minutes ago, Devryd said:

If you only need single core performance and gmaing, you dont need the 5900x. The 5600x would be sufficient. 

@Herman Mcpootis Mentioned that Altium could use the extra cores and he's right. Plus if I swap to another program it would be a good idea. Thanks though

5 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker Part List

I would be interested in some overclocking, would the cooler @Dr0idGh0sT suggested be good enough for trying it out?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/84MTwP/noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack-8252-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-d15-chromaxblack

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, heysoencerb said:

Awesome! Thanks for the help. This is what I am ending up with:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gqL7K3

Should I be worried about the bios update warning?

board has bios flashback so you'll just need a thumbdrive and something to download and put the file in if it's outdated.

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

board has bios flashback so you'll just need a thumbdrive and something to download and put the file in if it's outdated.

Perfect, thank you!

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

One last thing, is this the correct version of the CPU? There seems to be multiple types?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/p/N82E16819113664?Description=5900x&cm_re=5900x-_-19-113-664-_-Product

23 minutes ago, heysoencerb said:

@Herman Mcpootis Mentioned that Altium could use the extra cores and he's right. Plus if I swap to another program it would be a good idea. Thanks though

That and the 5600X doesn't have as good single core performance. It's not bad by any means, but if you're looking for the absolute best single core, the 5900X is a good choice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, heysoencerb said:

One last thing, is this the correct version of the CPU? There seems to be multiple types?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/p/N82E16819113664?Description=5900x&cm_re=5900x-_-19-113-664-_-Product

There is only one version. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but it may just be different sellers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

14 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a great option. My only problem with that over the Noctua cooler, is that you can replace the fans on the Noctua cooler, if you wanted to or needed to, later on. If you don't care to do that, Dark Rock Pro 4 for sure.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Just now, GeorgeMKane said:

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a great option. My only problem with that over the Noctua cooler, is that you can replace the fans on the Noctua cooler, if you wanted to or needed to, later on. If you don't care to do that, Dark Rock Pro 4 for sure.

I'm probably going with the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240, I've heard so much good stuff about it

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

There is only one version. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but it may just be different sellers.

Ok, so that link is correct?

1 minute ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

@heysoencerb Don't buy CL18 Ram, Other than that everything looks okey in your build. Get CL 16 3600.

That is the RAM I already own, a friend upgraded and gave it to me

2 minutes ago, heysoencerb said:

Ok, so that link is correct?

I guess? It's some random third party seller. It's for a 5900X, but I'd always prefer to get something like that from a real retailer (i.e. sold by Newegg directly or Micro Center, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)

1 minute ago, heysoencerb said:

That is the RAM I already own, a friend upgraded and gave it to me

Just make sure you set its Command Rate to 1T. It's the first thing you should always do with any RAM really.

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

I guess? It's some random third party seller. It's for a 5900X, but I'd always prefer to get something like that from a real retailer (i.e. sold by Newegg directly or Micro Center, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)

ok, I didn't know. Do you mind sharing the link to where you would buy it personally?

Just now, heysoencerb said:

ok, I didn't know. Do you mind sharing the link to where you would buy it personally?

Don't know who has it in stock where you are. I just meant to try to get it from an actual retailer, not just some online seller. That may not be possible, though. You can check reviews/ratings for the seller, and if they're overwhelmingly positive, you'll probably be fine. You just need to be a bit more careful with third parties.

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Don't know who has it in stock where you are. I just meant to try to get it from an actual retailer, not just some online seller. That may not be possible, though. You can check reviews/ratings for the seller, and if they're overwhelmingly positive, you'll probably be fine. You just need to be a bit more careful with third parties.

Someone pointed out AMD is selling it directly, thank you though