Display port to VGA or DVI?

Carrot1151
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

DisplayPort to VGA or DVI is going to be cheaper than converting from HDMI.

The problem with DVI is making sure it's the right type of DVI connector, but DVI will allow for higher resolutions than VGA, so it may be necessary. Then again, if your monitor is just 1080p 60Hz, VGA is sufficient.

Also, DVI might look better if it's digital DVI, because you aren't converting it to analog, but if it's analog DVI then that won't be a difference.

It's confusing stuff like that that gives me no nostalgia for DVI. It was an overly complicated connection.

So I finally managed to find a 3060 at a reasonable price in stock to finish off my rebuild and ordered it. The 3060 will be replacing my current 1650 which is hooked up to 3 monitors (2 matching Samsung and an AOC).

The AOC is mounted vertically at the side to give me a place to read documents without interfering with the main screens, it is old and only has vge and dvi connections. The new card only has HDMI and Display port connections.

So the question is this - Is it better to get a Display port to VGA, Display port to DVI, HDMI to VGA or HDMI to DVI connecter with the caveat that  whichever type of output i don't use will be used for the main monitors? the card im getting has 2 hdmi and 2 display port outputs.

DisplayPort to VGA or DVI is going to be cheaper than converting from HDMI.

The problem with DVI is making sure it's the right type of DVI connector, but DVI will allow for higher resolutions than VGA, so it may be necessary. Then again, if your monitor is just 1080p 60Hz, VGA is sufficient.

Also, DVI might look better if it's digital DVI, because you aren't converting it to analog, but if it's analog DVI then that won't be a difference.

It's confusing stuff like that that gives me no nostalgia for DVI. It was an overly complicated connection.