Which network is the proxy using?

Khoomn

So I've recently done some testing and to my surprise it works for once.

I have an laptop running ubuntu 20.04 with a VPN running on it. I opened up a port on the VPN and for this example lets say the port is 55555.

On the laptop I did "sudo ufw allow 55555" and then a command to turn it into a socks5 proxy. "ssh -f -N -D 0.0.0.0:55555 localhost" which works. I can use it online as a proxy with the VPN serving as the proxy. Now my question is, is it using my home internet or the VPN server for all the requests? Like is the traffic through that proxy now going directly through the server or is it going to my home ip, then the server? I understand the out ip is the VPN ip but im wondering since its going through the laptop first if its going through my home ip or the vpn since on 'iftop' i can see all the activity on it. I hope im making sense on what I mean. If anyone wants to test this out for themselves I also did it on a virtual machine which worked the exact same and i could show you how to do it step by step if needed to get an answer.

It should be going over the VPN.  Easy enough to test by going to https://ipleak.net/ and see if its your VPN or ISPs IP address showing.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7