New PC build help

Kristiangk

Hey all this will be my first PC build in a while and I'd be glad if I can get some opinions on it!

Budget (including currency):  7000 BGN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Mostly 1444p/4k gaming for all sorts of current games and future ones and programming(visual studio, intellij idea, docker, virtualBox)

Other details:

Why upgrade: I've been using up untill now a 5 year old laptop that's struggling quite a bit with programs I wanna run on it so I decided to build a PC.

Planned setup: This is the setup I have currently made via partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wPZGp2.

OS: The host OS will be windows 10 as I already have an account with plenty of activations left.

Monitors: As for monitors I plan on getting them separate later down the line with a 1444p 144hz main monitor and a 1080p side monitor. I currently have an old 1080p monitor that still works which will be used as a temporary one.

Other peripherals: For peripherals I have an adequate mouse and good headphones which I will keep on using and an old keyboard which I'll be using as a temporary one untill I can buy a better one.

I'm also considering for a cheaper variant that uses Radeon 6800 XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVME and a Seasonic SSR-850FX GOLD 850W PSU, but I don't know how significant the performance vs price difference will be.

Thanks in advance for looking at the post 🙂 !

2 minutes ago, Kristiangk said:

I'm also considering for a cheaper variant that uses Radeon 6800 XT, Ryzen 7 5800X, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVME and a Seasonic SSR-850FX GOLD 850W PSU, but I don't know how significant the performance vs price difference will be.

So this sounds like a great System to me. I'd get that. The other one is honestly overkill. 4K Gaming is nice and all, but 1440p is where price meets performance. 4K is overpriced as heck. So save a few bucks on the PC and get the cheaper variant, that will still be enough for most games on 4K 60FPS and many games with 1440p and 120+ fps. I have a 4K display and can barely see the difference between 4K and 1440p.

3 minutes ago, Kristiangk said:

Hey all this will be my first PC build in a while and I'd be glad if I can get some opinions on it!

Budget (including currency):  7000 BGN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Mostly 1444p/4k gaming for all sorts of current games and future ones and programming(visual studio, intellij idea, docker, virtualBox)

Other details:

Why upgrade: I've been using up untill now a 5 year old laptop that's struggling quite a bit with programs I wanna run on it so I decided to build a PC.

Planned setup: This is the setup I have currently made via partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wPZGp2.

OS: The host OS will be windows 10 as I already have an account with plenty of activations left.

Monitors: As for monitors I plan on getting them separate later down the line with a 1444p 144hz main monitor and a 1080p side monitor. I currently have an old 1080p monitor that still works which will be used as a temporary one.

Other peripherals: For peripherals I have an adequate mouse and good headphones which I will keep on using and an old keyboard which I'll be using as a temporary one untill I can buy a better one.

Any specific reason you're going AMD? Also the fact that you will be running Virtual Machines, the 5900X should be a superior pick, but if you're fine running a 4-core VM, the gaming performance is very similar between the 5800x and the 5900x! As for the GPU, the 6800XT is good enough for 4K gaming, 6900XT is overkill like 3090. A 3080 or 6800XT should be good for even 4k! As for PSU, if you go with AMD, the 850W should be fine, but if you're going for the 3090 if you do get it (I'd rather you not, a 3080/6800xt should be good), that's the only place i'd go for 1000W! 

As for the SSD, you'll not see any real world difference!

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

3 minutes ago, KKLawrence said:

So this sounds like a great System to me. I'd get that. The other one is honestly overkill. 4K Gaming is nice and all, but 1440p is where price meets performance. 4K is overpriced as heck. So save a few bucks on the PC and get the cheaper variant, that will still be enough for most games on 4K 60FPS and many games with 1440p and 120+ fps. I have a 4K display and can barely see the difference between 4K and 1440p.

I agree, 4K in 2021 is still overkill, I personally prefer my alt 1440P monitor for gaming too, 1080P FPS, but 1440P Quality, the best gaming resolution IMO!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wN33LP

Basically just ditched the aio and 980 pro

980 pro is completely useless for load times and you will only notice its speed when you are regularly transferring massive files such as 4/8k vid

Good aio choice but judging by the size you arent overclocking so i swapped it for a cheaper dual tower air cooler instead, if you do wish to overclock id suggest the liquid freezer 360 or if you dont mind swapping to a case like the enthoo pro a liquid freezer 420

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

980 pro is completely useless for load times and you will only notice its speed when you are regularly transferring massive files such as 4/8k vid

Good aio choice but judging by the size you arent overclocking so i swapped it for a cheaper dual tower air cooler instead, if you do wish to overclock id suggest the liquid freezer 360 or if you dont mind swapping to a case like the enthoo pro a liquid freezer 420

Or the Noctua NH-D15!! Beats out many AIOs for cheaper

14 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You wont cool a 5900X with a 40$ cooler. I own one, I wouldn't recommed it. The liquid freezer II 280 is a great performer and I get peak temps of 75°C. Unless you want your CPU to throttle quite a bit, I would go at least with a Noctua D15 or be quiet dark rock pro 4

The thing is, the liquid freezer is quite affordable, thats why I wouldn't change it. If your CPU will experience longer workloads, an AIO will be a good choice. For short bursts, a good aircooler is enough.

7 minutes ago, KKLawrence said:

You wont cool a 5900X with a 40$ cooler. I won one, I wouldn't recommed it. The liquid freezer II 280 is a great performer and I get peak temps of 75°C. Unless you want your CPU to throttle quite a bit, I would go at least with a Noctua D15 or be quiet dark rock pro 4

The thing is, the liquid freezer is quite affordable, thats why I wouldn't change it. If your CPU will experience longer workloads, an AIO will be a good choice. For short bursts, a good aircooler is enough.

Its still a 7 heatpipe dual tower cooler, itll prob perform similarly to the fuma 2 anyways, and the fuma 2 is capable of cooling a 5900x

Liquid freezer is prob overkill for this since the 280 is basically a d15 killer, so might aswell save a few bucks

1 hour ago, Carbonado said:

Any specific reason you're going AMD?

@Carbonado The biggest reason I've went with an all AMD system is that the prices are more affordable for the cps and gpu than the nvidia and intel equivalents for me.

2 hours ago, Carbonado said:

I agree, 4K in 2021 is still overkill, I personally prefer my alt 1440P monitor for gaming too, 1080P FPS, but 1440P Quality, the best gaming resolution IMO!

I'll stick to mostly 1080/1444p then and get an appropriate monitor for that range.

After some modifications to the spec I've changed the build to this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wqdgvf. The SSD might seem a bit overpriced but I've found in the site I'm buying the parts that it's on a discount. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone 🙂! Feel free to add to it if something else comes to mind. If not then this will be the final version for purchase.

7 hours ago, Kristiangk said:

@Carbonado The biggest reason I've went with an all AMD system is that the prices are more affordable for the cps and gpu than the nvidia and intel equivalents for me.

I'll stick to mostly 1080/1444p then and get an appropriate monitor for that range.

After some modifications to the spec I've changed the build to this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wqdgvf. The SSD might seem a bit overpriced but I've found in the site I'm buying the parts that it's on a discount. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone 🙂! Feel free to add to it if something else comes to mind. If not then this will be the final version for purchase.

Maybe Windows 10 Pro? Because you will be running VMs, you could use Hyper-V in Windows.

8 hours ago, Kristiangk said:

That board is terrible. I would swap it for the B550 version, or the X570 Tomahawk. If you don't need wifi then the B550 Tomahawk is good as well.

The Seasonic FX has/had issues with some gpu's. I would go for something like the MSI A850GF, SuperFlower Leadex III or Enermax Revolution D.F instead.

12 hours ago, Carbonado said:

Maybe Windows 10 Pro? Because you will be running VMs, you could use Hyper-V in Windows.

@Carbonado Thanks for pointing this out! I have a Windows 10 Pro activation available on me but I registered the wrong OS edition in the PC part picker so that's my bad. Updated it to the Pro edition.

10 hours ago, lee32uk said:

That board is terrible. I would swap it for the B550 version, or the X570 Tomahawk. If you don't need wifi then the B550 Tomahawk is good as well.

The Seasonic FX has/had issues with some gpu's. I would go for something like the MSI A850GF, SuperFlower Leadex III or Enermax Revolution D.F instead.

@lee32uk Thanks for the info! Swapped the board for the X570 Tomahawk and swapped the PSU for the MSI A850GF.

Now the build looks like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C4DTGq

15 minutes ago, Kristiangk said:

Now the build looks like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C4DTGq

Go for the Meshify 2 compact, as it has 3 fans included (1 more) and is easier to build in. The 20 bucks more are worth it, if you like the case and aesthetic.

I would personally never go X570 unless I have to use multiple Gen4 drives or other PCIe Gen4 stuff, but you can use 1 Gen4 GPU and 1 Gen4 SSD with B550 as well, thats why most people recommend them, even on top tier builds.

8 hours ago, KKLawrence said:

Go for the Meshify 2 compact

@KKLawrence Thanks for the tip! I'm wondering whether to switch to it or a langer version of the same. I checked the component sizes and they should fit but I'm still a bit torn.

8 hours ago, KKLawrence said:

B550 as well, thats why most people recommend them, even on top tier builds.

I'll search a bit for a good B550 replacement for the current board, but for some reason those are out of stock currently from where I'm ordering the parts so If I can't find something decent I'll stick with the current one.

11 hours ago, Kristiangk said:

swapped the PSU for the MSI A850GF.

Hey there, if you didn't order the parts already, maybe you can go for the Corsair RM850, I've personally not seen to many reviews for the msi one, just saying

7 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

Hey there, if you didn't order the parts already, maybe you can go for the Corsair RM850, I've personally not seen to many reviews for the msi one, just saying

The MSI is a Tier A psu. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

14 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The MSI is a Tier A psu. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure, but now I know.

9 hours ago, Kristiangk said:

@KKLawrence Thanks for the tip! I'm wondering whether to switch to it or a langer version of the same. I checked the component sizes and they should fit but I'm still a bit torn.

No they'll probably fit. I have a thicc AIO as front intake and they still all fit. So if you use the 240mm AIO, it will all fit. If you're unsure tho, there's no worry in going a bit larger on the case front.

For Motherboards, try to find a decent B550 board I guess? There's a motherboard tier list on this forum, so maybe check some of them out and there should be one from the A tier or B tier available. B tier is till great for non-OCed 5900X, more then good enough.