DP coupler isn't working

Hey guys,

any help is deeply appreciated!!

Here is the case: I have a vertical gpu bracket installed and it came with special angled DP cables so I can't change them.

I made an cable management overhaul and one cable isn't long enough afterwards so I got the coupler.

My displays (both driven by a 2080ti) are:

- Acer X34P (120Hz, 3440x1440, 21:9)

- Asus VG248 (60Hz, 1080x1920, 16:9)

The coupler only works with the Asus but I need it for the Acer.

I tried using another cable as an extension, set it to Hz 60 and deactivated G-sync but nothing worked sofar.

Simply restarting the pc or using just one Diplay doesn't work either.

I haven't tried truning the resolution down but that wouldn't be a good solution anyway.

Maybe you have some ideas on how to get it to work.

Thank you very much!

49 minutes ago, SuperCuber said:

Hey guys,

any help is deeply appreciated!!

Here is the case: I have a vertical gpu bracket installed and it came with special angled DP cables so I can't change them.

I made an cable management overhaul and one cable isn't long enough afterwards so I got the coupler.

My displays (both driven by a 2080ti) are:

- Acer X34P (120Hz, 3440x1440, 21:9)

- Asus VG248 (60Hz, 1080x1920, 16:9)

The coupler only works with the Asus but I need it for the Acer.

I tried using another cable as an extension, set it to Hz 60 and deactivated G-sync but nothing worked sofar.

Simply restarting the pc or using just one Diplay doesn't work either.

I haven't tried truning the resolution down but that wouldn't be a good solution anyway.

Maybe you have some ideas on how to get it to work.

Thank you very much!

Just trying to follow this: you bought a vertical gpu mount system so bad that it came with special cables to make it work (I’ve never hear of this being needed before ever)  and they are the only cables made for that system so you can’t buy longer ones.  You then wanted to rearrange your work space and found your special cables weren’t long enough so you bought a DP extension system you are calling a coupler to make them longer, and the extender isn’t working.

Thoughts based on the above being correct (which it may not be) 

My memory is the entire DP system has a theoretical max total length of 10 feet and required special cables to even do that.  It’s real possible you simply can’t extend the cables you have at all because they were only designed to push the signal as far as they did.  You’d have to take the signal, reamplify it so it’s effectively fresh again (don’t know if this can even be done but it would be very expensive) and then push it down another cable.  I don’t think this is gonna work. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's so close to the back inside the case that normal cables don't fit. I'm sure I could order longer angled cables but because of the formfactor it was a pain to get the build how it is. I wont do that again. 

Link to the "bad" mount

I'm well under 10ft and the extender / coupler works fine with the other monitor.

So I don't think an activ amplifier is needed.

I guess it's more of a communication problem with the Acer display but I don't know how to tackle it.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Thoughts based on the above being correct (which it may not be) 

My memory is the entire DP system has a theoretical max total length of 10 feet and required special cables to even do that.  It’s real possible you simply can’t extend the cables you have at all because they were only designed to push the signal as far as they did.  You’d have to take the signal, reamplify it so it’s effectively fresh again (don’t know if this can even be done but it would be very expensive) and then push it down another cable.  I don’t think this is gonna work. 

There is no such limit. There are certified DP cables up to at least 5 metres (16 feet), and nothing in the standard that limits cables to a particular length.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

There is no such limit. There are certified DP cables up to at least 5 metres (16 feet), and nothing in the standard that limits cables to a particular length.

Then the thing I read was wrong.  Wikipedia or something. I looked up DP specs some time ago.  Said the max was 3 meters or something. (about 10feet) struck me as a bit short so I went looking for cables.  Couldn’t find anything over 10 feet and the 10 foot long ones were really expensive. DP comes in a bunch of versions. Might have improved 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.