Is my monitor running on bad settings?

Neko Yumi

I am running displayport with a BenQ XL2430T monitor running on RTX 2080 and i have this weird issue where if i select "Ultra HD, HD, SD" 1080P 1920x1080 it locks my refresh rate at 60 Hz
however, if i scroll down to the "PC" section i am able to run 1920x1080 at 144hz
does that mean i do not get 1080P native resolution? How does this work? Do i have the wrong generation cabling for this ? I am legit confused.

01.png

02.png

The capability of using it for whatever resolutions are available on the TV generally are what you see for the top half where it's labeled as being HDTV, etc

The resolutions under PC are specifically for higher refresh rates for quick response time, as well as sharper, more precise images for whatever resolution used 

Basically the regular HDTV resolutions are meant for being used to watch media or something you don't necessarily need to be 144hz or pixel perfect (like in a tense FPS trying to shoot a jagged enemy vs having the same image be pretty good for watching a film due to it blending and boldening certain colors)

Edit: you can see the resolutions are the same. The HDTV "1080p" is the same resolution dimensionally as the PC one but they're  processed and delivered in different means

Edited by Lesothedoes
Further clarity on difference between similar resolutions

Just now, Lesothedoes said:

The capability of using it for whatever resolutions are available on the TV generally are what you see for the top half where it's labeled as being HDTV, etc

The resolutions under PC are specifically for higher refresh rates for quick response time, as well as sharper, more precise images for whatever resolution used 

Basically the regular HDTV resolutions are meant for being used to watch media or something you don't necessarily need to be 144hz or pixel perfect (like in a tense FPS trying to shoot a jagged enemy vs having the same image be pretty good for watching a film due to it blending and boldening certain colors)

Am i losing image quality for running it under PC ?

Just now, Neko Yumi said:

Am i losing image quality for running it under PC ?

Depends on what you mean by quality just in terms of whatever you plan to be doing with it set to one or the other.

Try both, both 1920x1080 at 60hz but one at the top and the PC equivalent. Drag open text files around and try to spot any different types of blur/smear.

If you can't seem to tell, then don't bother with it. I personally always prefer using the PC resolutions as they scale and adjust to displays much better. Please watch a couple of videos and try different resolutions, I think you'll see the benefit of the monitor without losing any appreciable fidelity

8 minutes ago, Lesothedoes said:

Depends on what you mean by quality just in terms of whatever you plan to be doing with it set to one or the other.

Try both, both 1920x1080 at 60hz but one at the top and the PC equivalent. Drag open text files around and try to spot any different types of blur/smear.

If you can't seem to tell, then don't bother with it. I personally always prefer using the PC resolutions as they scale and adjust to displays much better. Please watch a couple of videos and try different resolutions, I think you'll see the benefit of the monitor without losing any appreciable fidelity

the immediate comparison is that in "HD" mode, i do notice pictures being clearer however, the brightness takes a disgusting HUGE hit the whole screen feels like it has -50% brightness like a phone on lowest brightness settings.

the overall experience is just much better under the PC section, however i'll try to get more info on the DP cable i am currently using to make sure it is suitable.

Edit 1 : from what i am seeing, i ordered this displayport 1.2 cable 

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07JQKWX3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1