High temps

MythicalSnake
Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,
3 hours ago, MythicalSnake said:

I removed the top-panel, and temperatures were great, while gaming they stayed within the 70's, which is actually pretty great... although it does absolutely nullify any sound dampening this case has, as all the grumbling and other annoying frequencies will now travel through the top part of the case... I might want to return it in the end I guess.

Sounds about right. Noise damping is basically BS. It's fine I guess if you have components that don't run hot (low wattage), but if that's the case, noise isn't normally an issue in the first place. As soon as you're running anything that generates a significant amount of heat, the things that dampen noise are also the things that suffocate your components.

The key to running quiet is actually having good airflow, and then having good quality fans that can run effectively at low RPMs. I've got a Corsair 4000D, with Noctua case fans and Artic P14s on my rad (Artic AIO). Between the excellent airflow of the case in general, and the overall good quality fans, have a nearly silent fan curve where none of the fans usually run at more than 50-60%. I still get more than sufficient cooling and it's dead silent. 

Alright, I know that Ryzen is supposed to run hot, plus my noise-dampened case is a bit of a hotbox. Still though, I expect it to at least work without throttling, yet idle temps are in the 50's Celsius and web browsing in the 60's Celsius. Gaming whoever is when it goes into the 80s Celsius, this seems a little too hot, especially since it straight up crashes after about 10 minutes of gameplay. I also expect it to at least work, considering the parts I've got in my PC:

- Ryzen 9 5900X on an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240MM mounted on top

- 2x intake Arctic P12 RGB fans

- 1x outtake Arctic p12 RGB fan

- all in an Fractal Design Define 7

- applied Arctic MX-5 thermal paste on the CPU

What could be the issue here?

PC

Edit: I solved it ... by removing the top-panel that was choking the AIO's radiator

the first idea i have is that the radiator is not plugged in the right spot, maybe the screws arent doing the job properly? maybe check the aio connector if its plugged right

8 minutes ago, puppo said:

the first idea i have is that the radiator is not plugged in the right spot, maybe the screws arent doing the job properly? maybe check the aio connector if its plugged right

Keep in mind the define r7 has anything but good airflow so I wouldn't doubt the temps to drop a lot if op removed the front or side panel allowing full access to fresh air.

Just now, jaslion said:

Keep in mind the define r7 has anything but good airflow so I wouldn't doubt the temps to drop a lot if op removed the front or side panel allowing full access to fresh air.

well thats right, i had the same problem 1 month ago, i found out that i plugged the aio in the wrong spot, so i had 60° not even full load

Your temps are mostly fine. Thermal throttling isn't a concern until you hit 90c+. The case is a hotbox as you mentioned, and a 240mm rad isn't bad, but it's not the best either. You could probably beat it with a big air cooler, but of course, there's more compatibility issues with that route.

If you haven't already, try undervolting the CPU. That should bring down your temps a bit, and likely add better performance to boot. Other than that, I'd just consider getting a case with better airflow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Your temps are mostly fine. Thermal throttling isn't a concern until you hit 90c+. The case is a hotbox as you mentioned, and a 240mm rad isn't bad, but it's not the best either. You could probably beat it with a big air cooler, but of course, there's more compatibility issues with that route.

If you haven't already, try undervolting the CPU. That should bring down your temps a bit, and likely add better performance to boot. Other than that, I'd just consider getting a case with better airflow.

I removed the top-panel, and temperatures were great, while gaming they stayed within the 70's, which is actually pretty great... although it does absolutely nullify any sound dampening this case has, as all the grumbling and other annoying frequencies will now travel through the top part of the case... I might want to return it in the end I guess.

3 hours ago, MythicalSnake said:

Sounds about right. Noise damping is basically BS. It's fine I guess if you have components that don't run hot (low wattage), but if that's the case, noise isn't normally an issue in the first place. As soon as you're running anything that generates a significant amount of heat, the things that dampen noise are also the things that suffocate your components.

The key to running quiet is actually having good airflow, and then having good quality fans that can run effectively at low RPMs. I've got a Corsair 4000D, with Noctua case fans and Artic P14s on my rad (Artic AIO). Between the excellent airflow of the case in general, and the overall good quality fans, have a nearly silent fan curve where none of the fans usually run at more than 50-60%. I still get more than sufficient cooling and it's dead silent. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

14 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

The define r series was made to solve a problem in the past when silent computer hardware was none existant, few and far between, very expensive or needed a lot of diy. Once the focus on silence came the define series lost their purpose expect for very niche cases hence why it is rarely even mentioned or brought up today.

You hit the nail on the head with this post here and as op stated they should probably return the case if possible still.