Deactivating/activating PS3 & transferring data to new ps3

I recently found a ps3 at a thrift store that was in good condition and I'm looking into transferring my old ps3 to it.  I've fitted the new ps3 with an ssd and installed everything I need to make it run.  The conundrum I'm having is in regards to data on my old ps3 that can't be replaced (games/patches and dlc that are no longer available on the psn store) and how to safely transfer it.  I've got a few questions/methods to go about this so hopefully you can help me.

1. To start off, if I were to just deactivate and reactivate my old ps3, would all the data still be fine even if it can't verify it through the store, or is all of this just tied to my psn account via purchase history or something and all is fine?  If the answer is yes, then I could just activate/deactivate my ps3s (every six months) and just use the psn cloud saves to switch between the ps3s to at the very least keep them both backed up to date with save data?

2. Similar to the first question, the game data folder contains game installs and patches if I'm not mistaken. Does the transfer utility copy all of this or will I still have to reinstall games (and somehow find the patch files)?

3. I've used the back up utility to copy data over to the new ps3. It doesn't copy everything (copy-protected save data and the game data folder).  I know that digital games and stuff like messages are tied to the psn account, those would have to be redownloaded regardless (without the transfer utility method). Also, are messages even transferrable since both consoles have to be deactivated to set up the transfer utility? Or are messages tied to the psn account and don't need transferring?

4. I would like to avoid the transfer utility because I know it deletes data off the old ps3, and ideally I'd like to keep it untouched incase anything goes wrong with the new ps3.  I've backed up all save data (even copy protected) to the psn cloud.  If I deactivate my old ps3, activate the new ps3, download all the save data and digital games (everything that wasn't included in the back up utility).  That would just leave the game data folder and messages.  Assuming I can reinstall the game data and that the messages are tied to the psn account, this method should work right?

5. Am I better off just backing up the old ps3, installing the ssd into the old ps3, and then restoring it, or are there still going to be missing items?