I5-1135G7 throttling at 70° instead of 95°

The mobile CPU started to show a strange behaviour recently reaching PROCOHOT at 70° instead of the usuall 95° limit and I have no idea why. Sometimes it is normal, but more like 60% of the time is throttling at 70°.

I can't set an offset in in throttlestop settings because that would mean an offset to 95° limit as well as 70° limit that appears randomly.

I disabled BD-PROCOHOT, but that shouldn't do anything anyway.

I tried installing OEM drivers and all intel stuff managements without any luck. I also changed my OS 2 times from 21H2 to Windows 11 then reverted back to 21H1 latest stable Windows 10 and nothing seems to help.

One thing seems to temporarily fix the issue is to set an offset to PROCOHOT then removing it multiple times, but then it will get back throttling at 70° again when I change the workload sometimes

The experience is horrible. Anyone have any idea about possible reasons and a fix?

What laptop model do you have? Lenovo is screwing over their customers by low balling the thermal throttling temperature. 

In the ThrottleStop Options window, set PROCHOT Offset to 5 and then select the Lock PROCHOT Offset option. This is the only way to prevent other software from screwing around with this setting. The Intel default offset is 0. Setting the offset to 3 or 5 is reasonable. Manufacturers that think it is a good idea to use a 30°C offset are not playing with a full deck of cards. 

PROCHOT and BD PROCHOT are two different things. 

Are you using any manufacturer power management software? The cool and quiet mode or whatever it is called will set the thermal throttling temperature to a low value. It is a sly trick to make customers believe that their laptop is running cool. This kills performance and makes a laptop miserable to use. 

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

What laptop model do you have? Lenovo is screwing over their customers by low balling the thermal throttling temperature. 

In the ThrottleStop Options window, set PROCHOT Offset to 5 and then select the Lock PROCHOT Offset option. This is the only way to prevent other software from screwing around with this setting. The Intel default offset is 0. Setting the offset to 3 or 5 is reasonable. Manufacturers that think it is a good idea to use a 30°C offset are not playing with a full deck of cards. 

PROCHOT and BD PROCHOT are two different things. 

Are you using any manufacturer power management software? The cool and quiet mode or whatever it is called will set the thermal throttling temperature to a low value. It is a sly trick to make customers believe that their laptop is running cool. This kills performance and makes a laptop miserable to use. 

It is an HP model.

It turns out that another Windows reinstallation did something for the first time. I mentioned that I reinstalled the OS 3 times.

In the first time it was Windows 10 21H2 which is an insider preview build so having issues is expected

The second time was an upgrade to Windows 11 which is another preview build

The third time was by installing wrongly modified lite version of 20H1 from inside Windows 11 without keeping anything giving a memory leak issue beside the strange throttling behaviour.

Now I deleted the whole drive volumes and recreated new partitions then installed a fresh original copy of 21H1 no previews and crap.

I don't have thermal throtling issue anymore, but........ BUT something else:

The CPU is adjusting it's PL1 to 10W  from 17W and stay like that forever while PL2 remains 35W unchanged, but as far as I am aware if the laptop was running super cool (again bellow 70°) PL1 will not drop bellow 15 so it is like a thermal limit, but not a throttle limit.

Hardware monitoring softwares does not detect any thermal throttle exposure unlike how it was previousely