Wrong Memory?

Hello all. 

So This is my first build and I made a really noob bone head move. 

So I built an AMD 5900x system and went with ASUS ROG STRIX b550 A Gaming MB and 32 gig of Dominator RAM. 

Here is the bone head move.. The Corsair Dominator ram is INTEL XMP 2.0 and I need the same ram for Ryzen which ofcourse is a different SKU.. 

But My question is this: 16 gigs of this ram is currently working on the far 2 right DIMM slots. But will not boot from the left 2 DIMM slots. I tested all the ram and it will boot 16 gigs doesnt mater which sticks I put in just wont boot when its all in and wont boot from the left 2 channels. wont boot anything from those left 2 channels  but do you think the MB is bad aswell ? 

PS .. Im stupid for buying the wrong ram to begin with.. going to pull ram from old ryzen system to see if it will boot from those channels be right back with update..

well i pulled some ram from the 3700x build and samething it works in the far right slots but not the left slots.. funny thing is the ram from my old system says Intel xm ready 2.o

It honestly doesn't matter that much that you bought Intel memory, odds are it would work just fine. If it only boots from one of the memory channels (the left two slots are one channel, the right two are another channel), it means either there's a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. I'd contact AMD support first, since in my experience they're a little better, and it's a lot easier to swap a CPU than it is to swap an entire motherboard (or have a friend who can test it if you're able)

1 minute ago, Benji said:

The "bone head move" is rather you not educating. AMD has no specific overclocking profile and even AMD systems use Intel's XMP and are capable of using these profiles.

Ive got a bad motherboard..

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It honestly doesn't matter that much that you bought Intel memory, odds are it would work just fine. If it only boots from one of the memory channels (the left two slots are one channel, the right two are another channel), it means either there's a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. I'd contact AMD support first, since in my experience they're a little better, and it's a lot easier to swap a CPU than it is to swap an entire motherboard (or have a friend who can test it if you're able)

how do i test the CPU? could i swap my 3700x cpu into this new board and try it? 

Just now, Benji said:

Where did that "Oh, I'm replacing a "0" with an "o"" came from?

Well, anyway, there is no AMD overclocking profiles, all systems use Intel's XMP standard. Even AMD systems. Your motherboard is faulty.

That's actually wrong in most cases. Slots one and three are A1 and A2 while slots two and four are B1 and B2. It is never the case that slots one and two are one channel, they are always a different channel.

yup i totally get that but im saying those left 2 channels are dead.. even if i put 1 stick in and try it , it wont boot from those to bays.. my yellow dimm light just stays on

all 8 sticks of ram are good they work but only in those right bays.. if i put anything in either of the left bays, it wont boot.. doesnt matter if i try 1 stick or 2 and it doesnt matter if its the center left for far left it wont boot..

8 minutes ago, WesFlightGuy said:

how do i test the CPU? could i swap my 3700x cpu into this new board and try it? 

Yes, that's a great way to do it.

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

That's actually wrong in most cases. Slots one and three are A1 and A2 while slots two and four are B1 and B2. It is never the case that slots one and two are one channel, they are always a different channel.

Except, no. Just because the slots are the same color doesn't mean that they're the same channel. In order to use dual channel memory, you need to have memory populating the slot of each channel. The colors are there to make sure you put it in the right slot and use dual channel. Look up a wiring diagram of most motherboards if you don't believe me. 

I believe you i tried it.. I put a stick in what would be A1 and A2 and it failed.. tried b1 and b2 failed.. but it works fine with the right slots which would be a2 and b2? 

the MB manual doesnt even show the channels. doesnt even mention anything about them.. i think its the board

slots b1 and b2 are dead brother.. they wont boot at all.. ive tried every combination to get it to boot.. The fact is if I have a stick of ram in b1 or b2 or just b1 or just b2 it wont boot but it will boot in a1 and a2

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Except yes.

Look at most motherboard manuals if you don't believe me. The odd slots are one channel and you have to use A1 and A2 to get dual channel. 

That's not how it works. 

Watch at 4:29. That's how each channel is wired, and thus each stick needs to populate each channel to get dual channel. 

slots b1 and b2 are dead brother.. they wont boot at all.. ive tried every combination to get it to boot.. The fact is if I have a stick of ram in b1 or b2 or just b1 or just b2 it wont boot but it will boot in 

20210731_022931_HDR.jpg

20210731_022938_HDR.jpg

20210731_023024_HDR.jpg

im going to work on swapping the cpu now gonna take a me a few.. but will update

20210731_022838_HDR.jpg

No problem brother I appreciate your help.. it works!!! 

Guess what the issue was? 

Not enough thermal paste....

its pretty ironic.. i just watched the tech challenge between Steve and jays 2 cents and Jay overlooked the same thing.. temps were in line and he was scoring but not high turned out it was the thermal paste.. 

I swapped the 3700x in and it worked great.. so I cleaned up the 5900x put some new thermal paste on and made sure it was enough and bam she fires on all slots now .. good ram and good board and good CPU.. 

Bro thanks fort hanging with me to sort it out.. I appreciate ya man..