Question about batteries

MajorFoley

So I had to replace my moto g5 battery earlier in the year as it was bloated. I got a replacement oem one from eBay which seems to be mostly working well except sometimes when I put it on charge it takes a while before it goes up a % when it goes below 15% and if I take the cable out and put it back in, it sometimes even drops a couple of %

I do charge from a laptop USB point so I know it charges slower  (it's just a usb 3.0 a port) but I was wondering if there are cases where the phone could be reporting the wrong amount of battery left?

Another little thing is sometimes on the lock screen it shows how much longer it will take to get to 100% and sometimes just say charging. Does it take a while for it to determine how long it needs to charge to 100%?

Thanks

Maybe it needs to be calibrated. Charge it to 100% (not 99), leave it in the charger for an hour extra since it may say 100 while actually being 85. Then drain it until it shuts down. Once it shuts off turn it back on until you can't.

Here are some tips / warnings:

• Make sure to not turn off your phone while doing it
  • If you want to drain it faster set the brightness to 100 and play games, then it will be dead in 3-4 hours
  • Do not store the battery for more than 24 hours with 0%, it could get undercharged and if that happens you won't be able to charge it again
  • Don't do this too often. Best would be to plug in the charger at 30-40% and unplug at 80

28 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Maybe it needs to be calibrated. Charge it to 100% (not 99), leave it in the charger for an hour extra since it may say 100 while actually being 85. Then drain it until it shuts down. Once it shuts off turn it back on until you can't.

Here are some tips / warnings:

• Make sure to not turn off your phone while doing it
  • If you want to drain it faster set the brightness to 100 and play games, then it will be dead in 3-4 hours
  • Do not store the battery for more than 24 hours with 0%, it could get undercharged and if that happens you won't be able to charge it again
  • Don't do this too often. Best would be to plug in the charger at 30-40% and unplug at 80

Hmm I usually charge it while sleeping and usually then it's around 20% or lower and takes around 6 or so hours to charge at least according to the phone when it shows up

1 hour ago, MajorFoley said:

Hmm I usually charge it while sleeping and usually then it's around 20% or lower and takes around 6 or so hours to charge at least according to the phone when it shows up

Charging overnight is bad for the battery and can be dangerous, so if possible do it at daytime. If you need to travel a lot with the phone you can try a power bank.

6 hours is very long, even for charging from USB, make sure the cable isn't dead. Could still be because your phone thinks your using the old battery, in which case calibration would help.

If nothing helps chances are you got scammed. I would personally never get batteries or charges from eBay etc

On 7/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Pixelfie said:

Charging overnight is bad for the battery and can be dangerous, so if possible do it at daytime. If you need to travel a lot with the phone you can try a power bank.

6 hours is very long, even for charging from USB, make sure the cable isn't dead. Could still be because your phone thinks your using the old battery, in which case calibration would help.

If nothing helps chances are you got scammed. I would personally never get batteries or charges from eBay etc

I'd say pretty hard to find a Moto g5 battery anymore at this point. How long is a 2800mhz usually last? I mean it gets me through the day fine at least minor browsing and watching videos for a couple of hours before getting down to 20% and I imagine changing websites a lot would drain the battery faster due to more processing power.

Funny you mentioned scammed the first battery I got from the same guy died at around 20% each time. This replacement he gave me was much better so I don't think it's the case of scamming but you never know.

I have been using this battery for a few months already so is it too late to calibrate it?

2 hours ago, MajorFoley said:

I'd say pretty hard to find a Moto g5 battery anymore at this point. How long is a 2800mhz usually last? I mean it gets me through the day fine at least minor browsing and watching videos for a couple of hours before getting down to 20% and I imagine changing websites a lot would drain the battery faster due to more processing power.

Funny you mentioned scammed the first battery I got from the same guy died at around 20% each time. This replacement he gave me was much better so I don't think it's the case of scamming but you never know.

I have been using this battery for a few months already so is it too late to calibrate it?

1 day is completely normal for 2800mah. Watching videos would drain the battery faster than changing pages. The most battery usage is from your screen.

It's never too late to calibrate, but it's always recommended when you get a new batteries. Don't do it too often because lithium batteries don't like being fully discharged. I only recommend it when you have issues like this, or if it shuts down at like 40%.

10 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

1 day is completely normal for 2800mah. Watching videos would drain the battery faster than changing pages. The most battery usage is from your screen.

It's never too late to calibrate, but it's always recommended when you get a new batteries. Don't do it too often because lithium batteries don't like being fully discharged. I only recommend it when you have issues like this, or if it shuts down at like 40%.

I think im just an idiot. Yeah so my phone on youtube at least in chrome defaults to 360P, the reason i think it was draining faster is because i went and changed it to 720p and of course that would require a bit more juice... So yeah think i found where that extra power was going lol. And i guess reloading tabs with a white background when the screen changes colours would also help drain a bit quicker...

On 7/30/2021 at 7:50 PM, Pixelfie said:

Charging overnight is bad for the battery and can be dangerous

This may have been true 10-15 years ago, but not with current technology. There are voltage regulators on both the phone and the brick to prevent overcharging and overheating. Doesn't mean you should leave it plugged in for days and days, but overnight is completely safe and causes very minimal wear. I think even Linus did a video on it not too long ago, can't think of it at the moment.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro