wiping cache from phone

Agena_

i have a samsung s6, and want to clear cache to free space https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-clear-the-cache-on-the-galaxy-s6

if i do this, what would i lose that is needed with cache

(im not sure how to word this)

basically, what would i lose that you need essentially. (i know browsers cache would go, not worried about that)

thanks in advance

The cache partition has been done away with on many phones actually even though many recoveries still have this option. Your S6 likely still has one.  It will not gain you "free space" at least not useable free space. The cache partition is a separate partition used for temporary files. This would be log files, app updates, etc. It's reserved for this, clearing it doesn't give you extra space. This doesn't mean clearing it is necessarily bad either though. If you are asking if you will lose app settings or things like that, no none of that should be stored in the cache partition.

Obviously the option above that "wipe data / factory reset" would wipe your entire phone and all your data, so stay away from that one.

6 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

The 

s.jpeg.e264810efb60384b8ac8f2d857898daf.jpeg

i contacted samsung about this, USER DATA adds to about 7gb which doesnt make sense.

so they told me to clear cache partition, as it can take a lot of space. (but over 20gb???) i was confused.

but your saying that it wont free up space, samsung says opposite lol

2 hours ago, Agena_ said:

s.jpeg.e264810efb60384b8ac8f2d857898daf.jpeg

i contacted samsung about this, USER DATA adds to about 7gb which doesnt make sense.

so they told me to clear cache partition, as it can take a lot of space. (but over 20gb???) i was confused.

but your saying that it wont free up space, samsung says opposite lol

My understanding is it shouldn't free up space you would use, as normally this wouldn't be accessible "data" space anyways. Wiping the cache is something that used to be done all the time before updating, never a problem. I still do it on some devices as trouble shooting. I'd try it. Let us know if you had 24 GB of cache on there.