Hackintosh compatibility

PrithwidipSaha
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

Yeah, its not possible with any Nvidia GPU after Pascal (1000 series), your 1650ti is Turing. Besides which IIRC the last Nvidia driver only supports High Sierra at the latest so even if you had a compatible GPU you'd be limited to a 3 year old version.

6 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

The incompatibilities with AMD CPUs you're referring to used to be true, but that all changed with Ryzen. 

Nah, its entirely possible to run macOS on AMD FX and A series CPUs (Bulldozer & Jaguar) using OpenCore, it was possible with Clover too but required a hacked kernel.

My pc specs

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

Motherboard - MSI B350 Gaming Plus

RAM - 2x Gskill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz 

SSD 1 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

SSD 2 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB

HDD - None

CPU Cooler - Deepcool Assassin 2

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1660ti 6GB

PSU - Cooler Master B500

Case - Circle CC 820

Will this be able to run hackintosh? I'm planning on installing MacOS Big Sur. If Big Sur doesn't work is there any other versions which might run well on this spec? 

Your system isn't compatible with macOS. You will need a GPU from AMD - modern Nvidia cards aren't supported at all. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

You’re the exact opposite of what you need to make this easy. Intel cpu, AMD gpu.

If you haven’t looked into this, OSX isn’t like other operating systems where it’s designed for a wide range of hardware, OSX is only originally meant to run on Apple systems, so it’s optimized and built around a finite list of systems Apple uses.

This is why for example you can put OSX on a 2nd gen Sandy bridge Lenovo Thinkpad, because specs wise it’s the same as a MacBook Pro of the same year.

But you can’t put OSX on something like a current Ryzen mobile processor with a 2070 maxq or something because there is no Apple system with those parts.

Same deal here, there are even further hacky workarounds for semi modern nvidia cards but your motherboard and processor plain and simple won’t function properly, half your I/o won’t work off the board and pcie lane distribution could be weird at best and barely functional at worst.

Your gpu won’t work at all without hacky drivers.

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

You’re the exact opposite of what you need to make this easy. Intel cpu, AMD gpu.

If you haven’t looked into this, OSX isn’t like other operating systems where it’s designed for a wide range of hardware, OSX is only originally meant to run on Apple systems, so it’s optimized and built around a finite list of systems Apple uses.

This is why for example you can put OSX on a 2nd gen Sandy bridge Lenovo Thinkpad, because specs wise it’s the same as a MacBook Pro of the same year.

But you can’t put OSX on something like a current Ryzen mobile processor with a 2070 maxq or something because there is no Apple system with those parts.

Same deal here, there are even further hacky workarounds for semi modern nvidia cards but your motherboard and processor plain and simple won’t function properly, half your I/o won’t work off the board and pcie lane distribution could be weird at best and barely functional at worst.

Your gpu won’t work at all without hacky drivers.

You're mostly right about the GPU, but completely wrong about the CPU. macOS runs perfectly fine on AMD Ryzen hardware. Seriously, it's just as easy as Intel chips. It took me about 30 minutes to get Catalina running on my R7 2700 system from scratch. 

The incompatibilities with AMD CPUs you're referring to used to be true, but that all changed with Ryzen. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Yeah, its not possible with any Nvidia GPU after Pascal (1000 series), your 1650ti is Turing. Besides which IIRC the last Nvidia driver only supports High Sierra at the latest so even if you had a compatible GPU you'd be limited to a 3 year old version.

6 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Nah, its entirely possible to run macOS on AMD FX and A series CPUs (Bulldozer & Jaguar) using OpenCore, it was possible with Clover too but required a hacked kernel.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

-> Moved to Operating Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv