RTX 3070 bricked?

Ckrein

So I bought a used zotac rtx 3070 amp holo and it worked fine, I got another case to get some more airflow not knowing it took and sfx psu i found a psu locally and when I plugged everything in and turned it on for the first time the rgb controller got very hot so i shut it off and unplug it then I plugged my other psu in and nothing worked until I replaced all the cords going to the motherboard and gpu 

so now the pc will post and I get the motherboard logo then the little spinning wheel will stop for about 5 minutes then boot into windows normally about another 10 minutes later and it will black screen, I have the drivers installed.

If I plug my old gpu back in it works perfect no problems 

I heard it mentioned somewhere around here that Zotac stuff sometimes suffered from bad thermal pads.  Don’t know if it applies to that model or not. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Did you use the cables with the new PSU with the new unit, or did you reuse the old cables with the new PSU?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I used the old ones until I got a new psu 

42 minutes ago, Ckrein said:

I used the old ones until I got a new psu 

To make a long explanation out of a short question a possible why:

The Issue being explored I think is that cables didn’t used to be removable and are considered part of the PSU”unit”. The reason atx works is things are modular, but within that module engineers do what they want.  The result is that even though a PSU cable might fit another PSU it doesn’t mean it will WORK with that PSU and the results of messing it up can be very very bad.   Just because the cables can be detached on some PSUs does not make them standardized.  The cables that come with a PSU are part of that specific PSU model and only that specific PSU model.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

To make a long explanation out of a short question a possible why:

The Issue being explored I think is that cables didn’t used to be removable and are considered part of the PSU”unit”. The reason atx works is things are modular, but within that module engineers do what they want.  The result is that even though a PSU cable might fit another PSU it doesn’t mean it will WORK with that PSU and the results of messing it up can be very very bad.   Just because the cables can be detached on some PSUs does not make them standardized.  The cables that come with a PSU are part of that specific PSU model and only that specific PSU model.

Yeah I learned that the hard way I always thought they were standardized I guess it’s a good and expensive learning experience, i found another gpu locally gonna make extra sure the psu cables are good, should I do anything with the bad card or just hang it on the wall or something idk if or where it could be fixed 

Reading this thread leaves me with so many questions, but possibly shorted something out or something by not using the correct cables.