Lowering Ping

Nerocosm

So ill start off by saying that my ping isnt too bad its around 60-70 on an ethernet connection what steps can i take to lower it?

11 minutes ago, Nerocosm said:

So ill start off by saying that my ping isnt too bad its around 60-70 on an ethernet connection what steps can i take to lower it?

Not much. Make sure you have nothing like steam running the background, (if you are playing a non steam game) but not much else you can really do. Maybe be like me and move into the exact same town as the servers and get 5ms?

Do you live far from the servers you are playing on?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

11 minutes ago, Nerocosm said:

Ping depends on the "distance" between you and whatever machine you're talking to. Distance means both the physical wire and the number of routers/servers packages have to go through. As @Downkey said, there's not a whole lot you can change about that in most cases. For games lowering your ping typically means playing on a server that is closer to your actual location.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I think the first step would be a little education on what "ping" is because in the way that you're using it, it shows a little misunderstanding. 

Without context, saying "my ping is 60-70" doesn't really tell us anything. To get those numbers, an entity on the local network or out on the internet must have a ping test ran against it and depending on what is being tested, that number (your latency) could be all over the place). 

I can "ping" my home router right now and get 1-2ms of latency or I could ping a server in Australia and get 100-200ms. 

So, the question remains, where are you getting this output of "60-70" from? What is being tested? If its to your local router in your home, it would be pretty terrible. If its a server/service across the country, it might be just fine.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q